Possible disasters? (mod talk, not the game itself)

So, just wondering....

I've never built a solar system or made a mod, but would it be possible to make large bodies collide? I am just seeing the possibilities with interstellar in the base game of an occurrence where a solar system or rogue planet comes into the Kerbolar system and perhaps worlds collide.

Spoiler

I realize I am asking a bit (maybe more than a bit) much. But even then nuclear explosions will be base game as well (praying for mushroom clouds....) so would it at least be possible to have asteroid impacts (on impact replace the asteroid with a comparable resized nuclear explosion)? Maybe even world ender ones like the one that killed the dinosaurs. Then we could have "save kerbin" missions :D

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So, just wondering....

I've never built a solar system or made a mod, but would it be possible to make large bodies collide? I am just seeing the possibilities with interstellar in the base game of an occurrence where a solar system or rogue planet comes into the Kerbolar system and perhaps worlds collide.

Reveal hidden contents

I realize I am asking a bit (maybe more than a bit) much. But even then nuclear explosions will be base game as well (praying for mushroom clouds....) so would it at least be possible to have asteroid impacts (on impact replace the asteroid with a comparable resized nuclear explosion)? Maybe even world ender ones like the one that killed the dinosaurs. Then we could have "save kerbin" missions :D

You need N-body for planetary collisions, but the asteroids are doable since they're procedural and not "On rails" like planets.

17 hours ago, General Apocalypse said:

I would prefer to have something like a crisis ie. solar flare , gamma ray burst ,  reliability issues that could be mitigated progressively as your technology advances.

Out of curiosity, how would a gamma ray burst be mitigated? Also, how would once foresee one coming?

4 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

Mmmm, planetary collisions :0.0:

pretty sure that would break the fourth wall as my computer turns into shrapnel under the stress D:

I LOLed

Also if universal sanbox can pull it off, perhaps it could be done in KSP as well (he says naively) 

There's basically two ways large bodies could collide: In a one-time mega-event, or something gradual as the two bodies spiral together.

The mega-event (if it's not just a large asteroid) would be something that you'd really need to be able to plan a campaign around.  Could be a good DLC at some point, but otherwise if it's in your home system it'll just get in the way of most players, and if it's not in the home system most players will miss it entirely.

As for something gradual - That's Rask and Rusk.

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

There's basically two ways large bodies could collide: In a one-time mega-event, or something gradual as the two bodies spiral together.

I was thinking of a 1 time mega event therefor making a "countdown" to get off planet" type of challenge or something like that or if its a killer asteroid the challenge would be to steer it off course fast enough. Maybe make the asteroid in like the 10-50 km diameter range where it will take a really big engine at a great distance to steer it away

Edited by mcwaffles2003

On 2/11/2020 at 7:25 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I was thinking of a 1 time mega event therefor making a "countdown" to get off planet" type of challenge or something like that or if its a killer asteroid the challenge would be to steer it off course fast enough. Maybe make the asteroid in like the 10-50 km diameter range where it will take a really big engine at a great distance to steer it away

Hmm, "killer asteroid" that sends an asteroid at your base/KSC...

Sounds like an excellent mod idea.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, DStaal said:

The mega-event (if it's not just a large asteroid) would be something that you'd really need to be able to plan a campaign around.  Could be a good DLC at some point, but otherwise if it's in your home system it'll just get in the way of most players, and if it's not in the home system most players will miss it entirely.

As for something gradual - That's Rask and Rusk.

There's actually only one way since we're not going to have N-body; a heavily scripted event that swaps out the "Colliding" planets for a "Debris" field when they supposedly collide. Also Rask and Rusk haven't been said to ever actually collide; just represent a pair of binary planets slowly doing so. They're gonna be on rails like everything else in KSP2 planet wise, and without something like the principia mod won't ever collide.

To implement planetary collisions you first need to have internal geological structures of the planets, as currently they are hollow rigid spherical bubbles.

The iron core is a rather different thing than the mantle.

Edited by kerbiloid