KSP Needs life support. PLEASE

Marshall Hopp

5 minutes ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

I honestly don’t care about life support, as long as it keeps KSP2 a casual game.

Who ever said KSP2 was or is going to be casual? KSP1 started as a sliderule simulator and progressed from there, I'd expect KSP2 to be at least as deep and at least as technical.

Casual games are what you play on your phone while waiting for a bus. If KSP2 is casual, I'm out.

3 hours ago, OOM said:

Damn, but I need to carry supplies manually

I would expect a late-game (interstellar) KSP2 game would include at least a half-dozen bases, only some of which would be self-sustaining. On top of that you'd have the scientific and other missions you'll be flying. All of that would require supply. That adds up to a lot of routine milk runs. In practice you would be switching continuously between supply runs, scientific runs, and contract runs.

If that's the kind of thing you like to do I fully expect you can, even without an abstraction level. I emphatically do not: I would find it rote, repetitive, and boring, and if that's what KSP2 late game looks like, I simply will not play it. I suspect I am not in the minority with this view and even many players now clamouring for hardcore LS would quickly tire of it.

LS needs that abstraction and automation level for setting up and getting rid of the mindless, rote drudgery that keeping a sprawling interstellar space program supplied would need.

35 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Because life support is boring (IMnvHO) ;)

I've shifted my position on this. I was categorically against LS because I believed that it was inevitably boring.

Having thought more about it though, I think it would be possible to do it in a non-boring way, but it would require significant gameplay systems on top of the basic LS mechanic to support it: that supply line abstraction/automation, economy simulation, and so on. Moreover, I think the interstellar/colonial late game almost requires these kinds of mechanics anyway. 

Therefore at this point I'm thinking that LS would actually be a good thing, if and only if the supporting gameplay systems are good enough that it doesn't turn into mindless drudgery.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Honestly, I think kerbals are really underutilized in KSP and this would just make it worse.

This is why I love running KIS/KAS mods, and I hope we see *some* of this functionality built into KSP2.  It opens so many possibilites like hooking ground structures together for resource transfer, lifting parts around, welding a docking port to an old ship in orbit, etc.

15 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Because life support is boring (IMnvHO) ;)

For me, the main thing is realism.
And well-designed residential modules, where there is good armor from radiation, a medical unit, a centrifuge and a separate room with a warehouse of supplies - for me the most important thing.

Edited by OOM

2 hours ago, OOM said:

For me, the main thing is realism.

Realism is very important for a small group of vocal KSP players. They even made a mod that's all about realism.

I am quite confident that realism will not be a primary design objective of KSP2 any more than it is for KSP1 however, and I consider that a very good thing. It's a game about building and flying rockets, not a hardcore space program simulator, and it should stay that way -- while remaining moddable enough that those who want a hardcore space program simulator can turn it into one.

KSP1 has many huge issues that revolve around the time warp. You need some kind of time warp for this game, but the way the game calculates "physics" means that at higher timewarps everything falls apart. The whole concept of timewarp and physics needs to be changed right from the start.

If you did have a full-featured physics timewarp, then most of the life support problems would go away. Life support could just keep running at high time warps instead or requiring either a) the modder to try to create a game engine for handling time warp with physics or b) the life support trying to do all its accounting when you drop back out of high time warp.

This would also fix the problems with EC use/generation at high time warp and even probably engine use during high timewarp.

It all goes back to the timewarp.