Project: Munbridge

um3k

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you build a bridge to Mun, just on it. Specifically, build a bridge over any one of the many valleys on the Mun. This seems like a pretty challenging task in and of itself, so any and all mods are permitted. One or many launches, whatever it takes. The only actual requirement is that the bridge be traversable by a lone Kerbal.

I'm working on a craft to attempt this challenge myself, and I look forward to seeing everyone else's successes (and failures!).

2j9Bl.jpg

As you can see, the most prominent valleys are on the rims of large craters. However, there appear to be smaller ones scattered about, so you are welcome to bridge whichever valley you choose.

The definition of a bridge for the purposes of this project is as follows:

- Reaches from one side of valley to the other.

- The walking surface only contacts the ground on either side of the valley. Note that this does not preclude support structures, so long as they are not the walking surface itself.

- Can hold the weight of at least one Kerbal long enough for said Kerbal to cross the bridge, with minimal jumping and no RCS use.

If you want to kick it up a notch, here are some things I consider worthy of bonus points:

- Length. The wider the valley, the bonusier the points.

- Strength. A saggy bridge won't lose you points, but a nice, sturdy one may earn you some.

- Stability. If you can time warp/switch to different ships and the bridge remains intact indefinitely, points will be awarded.

- Capacity. The base requirement is one Kerbal, additional capacity (such as Kerbal armies or rovers) are worthy of reward.

Edited by um3k

Aim for that one just right of center, and above the crater. THAT will be a challenge...

Wait, does it need to have a rover drive over it/Kerbal walk over it to count?

EDIT: Derp. didn't read opening post fully. So, revised query: Do we earn bonus points if it can handle a rover?

Uploaded a video of my early attempts at a deployable bridge:

Haven't tested it on the Mun, yet. For some reason I feel like it's not yet worth trying to get it there...

Epic! the music i mean.

The bridge is also very cool, and very Kerbal too, with the random explodies and whatnot.

This looks dumbfoundingly hard. I'll make some kind of attempt later this evening, but let me first offer my plan.

To find a nice place to build, land somewhere mildly hilly, and drive downhill until [REDACTED]

build bridge sections that consist of a short lander, with [REDACTED] pole on top, with two of those long [REDACTED] mounted sideways in bilateral symmetry on the tip of the pole. Land one of these in [REDACTED]. Land successive copies of it end-to-end and rotate and tilt the bridge sections to match up, repeat until the endpoints have thier pole on the lowest setting.

build two ramp ships, which have slanted tilt-able bridge sections. that can be used to connect the hanging endpoints to the ground.

Edited by nhnifong

I had a quick muck around with building a bridge from wing sections and it's surprisingly robust so I think you could probably drive it into position assuming the sides of the valley aren't too steep (or you add sufficient RCS to levitate).

m2xTA.png

during heavy braking:

3vb14.png

No damage sustained and it popped back upright after it had stopped.

Getting it off kerbin may be tricky but with sufficient SAS/Canards anything is possible (except a good frame rate).

As a thought, you might want to add a minimum required length for the bridge to the rules, just to make sure. Nothing outrageous (like you yourself seem to have plans for...), just to keep smart***es like me from making a rover with some flappy bits attached and walking a Kerbal over it. ;)

I loved um3k's video - fantastically Kerbal calamity. I'd like those square panel parts - I'd love a simple set of parts like those for building structures - the wing panels aren't quite flat so look ugly and generate lift, which might be a bad thing (short of a cfg edit).

I can see a rescaleFactor of a deployable solar panel (lots to choose from) as the easiest way - at least for a pedestrian bridge. I take it having something a Liltrak could cross would be an auto-win?

The beginnings of a great Kerbridge!

I'm building it across a long shallow valley

veeSH.jpg

Lookin' good, nhnifong!

I loved um3k's video - fantastically Kerbal calamity. I'd like those square panel parts - I'd love a simple set of parts like those for building structures - the wing panels aren't quite flat so look ugly and generate lift, which might be a bad thing (short of a cfg edit).

I can see a rescaleFactor of a deployable solar panel (lots to choose from) as the easiest way - at least for a pedestrian bridge. I take it having something a Liltrak could cross would be an auto-win?

Here's a download for those panels, they're a custom mod I made: [ATTACH]32913[/ATTACH]

What about the 'docking mod'? You could use that to build bridge supports and theoretically dock bridge sections onto each support, and join each section up with something like extendible solar panels. or massive explodey concertinas. Whatever really I guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.