Make space station building correct...and make them stable.

strider3

5 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Nah, AMD wants to be the leader in the mid-range GPU market. Understandable since that area of the market sells the most cards. 

I think it was created just to show off their new ray tracing processor. It's the next generation cards I'm interested in seeing.

But thinking about @dave1904 problem, if KSP2 graphics are going to be close to Restock, (which they seem to be so far) people who are using older GPUs are going to have a rough time around the colonies and the mega interstellar ships. 

Even with well optimized graphics, reflections are hard on GPUs.

Used 1000 Series are cheap; 1080ti can be had for ~400 USD on EBAY. So if he really wants a GPU upgrade then the 2000 series isn't the only option, and we're hearing more and more about the 3000 series and "Big Navi". So i wouldn't buy a new GPU now anyway.

7 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I know they are good but replacing a 4770K is a waste for now. Its only a 20% single core performance boost and that is not enough considering the age of the 4770. You need to keep in mind that right now I only play KSP, stellaris and F1 games. I do not see the point in upgrading the whole system and keeping a 970. The 970 was the bottleneck in 90% of the other games I played. I will always regret not getting a 980

4770K is still DDR3, so that 20% boost is more once you factor in the increase in memory bandwidth. But if you have your heart set on a new GPU then i get it, and in that case i'd reccomend waiting like you already planned or getting a 1070 or above as i mentioned above.

8 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Used 1000 Series are cheap; 1080ti can be had for ~400 USD on EBAY. So if he really wants a GPU upgrade then the 2000 series isn't the only option, and we're hearing more and more about the 3000 series and "Big Navi". So i wouldn't buy a new GPU now anyway.

4770K is still DDR3, so that 20% boost is more once you factor in the increase in memory bandwidth. But if you have your heart set on a new GPU then i get it, and in that case i'd reccomend waiting like you already planned or getting a 1070 or above as i mentioned above.

As I said above I'm waiting for the 30xx series. I am not investing money into obsolete hardware. More memory bandwidth is nice but is barley noticeable in games especially the ones I currently play. I'm probably going to buy the 3070 or 80. If I need a cpu I will get it but buying a cpu just before Intel responds to ryzen is a bad move imo. 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

As I said above I'm waiting for the 30xx series. I am not investing money into obsolete hardware. More memory bandwidth is nice but is barley noticeable in games especially the ones I currently play. I'm probably going to buy the 3070 or 80. If I need a cpu I will get it but buying a cpu just before Intel responds to ryzen is a bad move imo. 

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

IF they come up with a response :P

They've been "Coming up with a response" to Ryzen for the past two years; though it does look like they may actually have something in 2021.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

IF they come up with a response :P

Intel has been hammering amd with single core performance for the past ten years or more. They will respond or loose a lot of customers. 

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

They've been "Coming up with a response" to Ryzen for the past two years; though it does look like they may actually have something in 2021.

Not in terms of performance. Price per performance yes but Intel never really bothered to much about that. People like myself are more than OK with paying twice the price for better ipc. It makes a massive difference in gaming. 

5 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Intel has been hammering amd with single core performance for the past ten years or more. They will respond or loose a lot of customers. 

Not in terms of performance. Price per performance yes but Intel never really bothered to much about that. People like myself are more than OK with paying twice the price for better ipc. It makes a massive difference in gaming. 

Ryzen 3 is basically at intel IPC already, and they're going to be making Ryzen 4 within months on an improved 7nm node. This is on top of the fact that Spectre/Meltdown mitigations have sapped away much of the IPC advantage current and older Intel chips have. I'd look at some benchmarks if i were you; since you don't seem to realize how far AMD has come.

But it's perfectly fine if you want to wait for Intel's response; gives you more time to save for a computer at the end of the day anyway.