RTB's house of unofficial updates (presently Scatterer and EVE 1.9 bugfix builds)

R-T-B

Reading this thread, I have the same problem of clouds disappearing - starting slowly at 55k with all the clouds gone by around 75k. They'll pop back in at 160k. I'm only using EVE. I'm running an RTX2060.

19 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This is what I was referring too.  Already off though.  Hmm.  Something with Maxwell and the shaders I guess, shaders are not my best area of expertise but I'll see if blackrack has any ideas.  In the meantime, try extacting just the "shaders" folder from a release before 1.30 and merging it with a modern release, maybe it'll work better for you.

Put 1.22 shader folder in, still getting flicker. Could it be related to the black shadow rim on the globe? I have that too.

Or could it be an EVE or config thing?

If I alter an EVE setting, like main cloud altitude, I  get a console error, UnityException: Unable to parse "_MainTex" in "settings"

12 hours ago, Hangdog said:

Put 1.22 shader folder in, still getting flicker. Could it be related to the black shadow rim on the globe? I have that too.

Or could it be an EVE or config thing?

If I alter an EVE setting, like main cloud altitude, I  get a console error, UnityException: Unable to parse "_MainTex" in "settings"

I honestly am confused then.  Has any release worked for you ever?  If so, do you know which one?  That'd be where I'd start diagnosing.

Let me see your eve config and a KSP logfile as well, if you have no other details.  Sometimes they can reveal things.

12 hours ago, majNUN said:

Reading this thread, I have the same problem of clouds disappearing - starting slowly at 55k with all the clouds gone by around 75k. They'll pop back in at 160k. I'm only using EVE. I'm running an RTX2060.

Seems it has something to do with eve then and scatterer fixes it for some users when it replaces eve shaders, hence the mixed reports... plain eve users are left high and dry. Weird.  I'll look into that.  Maybe the eve shader needs recompile as well on nvidia hardware just like scatterer did.  I'll try that later today.

Edited by R-T-B

20 hours ago, plonk said:

It's so good to have scatterrer back scattering! :) KSP simply feels wrong without it. But on my install, lenseflares are still occluded by geometry. Interestingly, in map view lensflares are rendered correctly. I tried unofficial Releases V1.41 nvidia shadow hotfix, and V1.3, both with dx9 and dx11. My machine is pretty old and limited though, having 8G RAM and a GTX660 with 2Gig. Despite of this, the occlusion issue didn't occur with KSP 1.8.

Anyone out there, running KSP 1.9.1 with scatterer on an ancient GTX660 without this bug?

KSP.log on paste2.org

Hmmm...  I'll need to bugtest this on some modern nvidia hardware.  If it's just on Kepler stuff and older, I can't really worry too much about it (no offense meant, I welcome pull requests if someone knows what to do, but I'm not about to personally buy a Kepler card for bugtesting or anything), but if it's a more widespread issue it certainly will need fixing.  Can I get a screenshot in addition to that log, just to see what you mean?  Pretty sure I understand but still I've been caught looking for the wrong thing before...  heh.

I have a feeling your problem is not just old hardware though.  I've had at least one report from an RTX user, and it's weird because there seems to be no pattern as to who/why it happens that I can find.  Frustrating.  Hence me asking for a screenshot, to make sure I'm not looking for the wrong visual bug.

EDIT:  Breaking news, just found a big-bad bug in the cloud shader code that is the result of nothing more or less than a RTB-typo.  It was not only a bug itself, but was quite possibly hiding other bugs from me.  Maybe, just maybe, it was the root of all evil. 

Once I get some testing done, I'll have some release candidates for a "1.50" release.  The final release for this will have all the known shader bugs fixed, with any luck.  The release candidates are for beta testing to get us there...  but still should be steady improvements.  I'm just now starting to understand that weird shader side of things and it feels empowering, lol.

PS:  Yes, I'll take a poke at the sunflare bug too while I'm at this.

EDIT EDIT:  No need for a new release, it seems this typo bug is exclusive to EVE and propagated itself in the last two versions.  Since no new features have been added since then, I am simply advising everyone to revert EVE versions until further notice (the buggy ones have been pulled).  I will continue to work on existing Scatterer bugs like the sunflare bug in the meantime, but that should fix most cloud issues.  Just revert EVE to 1.9.0.3.

Thanks again for the reports.

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

If it's just on Kepler stuff and older, I can't really worry too much about it

That's totally understandable. :)

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Can I get a screenshot in addition to that log, just to see what you mean?

Sure thing! Have a look at the images on Imgur

Big thanks for your efforts! :cool:

1 hour ago, plonk said:

That's totally understandable. :)

Sure thing! Have a look at the images on Imgur

Big thanks for your efforts! :cool:

Ah!  I was looking against terrain geometry.  It's obvious against the ship.

I think I know what's going on.  I think I may be drawing in the wrong layer of the render frame.  I'll do some tests.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Ah!  I was looking against terrain geometry.

Actually, terrain geometry is occluding the flare, too. I should have posted better images. Added two more to the gallery linked in my previous post.

While providing new sample images, I've discovered another oddity: if moving the camera towards the ship (see image #4 vs.image #5) the sun (not the logical lightsource itself) disappears.

Edit: I cannot pinpoint situations where the flare disappears while the sun is over the horizon (like img #4 & #5), yet. I'll report as soon as I see the pattern :)

Edited by plonk

3 hours ago, plonk said:

Actually, terrain geometry is occluding the flare, too. I should have posted better images. Added two more to the gallery linked in my previous post.

While providing new sample images, I've discovered another oddity: if moving the camera towards the ship (see image #4 vs.image #5) the sun (not the logical lightsource itself) disappears.

Edit: I cannot pinpoint situations where the flare disappears while the sun is over the horizon (like img #4 & #5), yet. I'll report as soon as I see the pattern :)

No need, I found the bug.  It was indeed occuring everywhere in the local scene, and in some cases, even generating null refs! Pretty bad actually, but I guess it just didn't appear "wrong" enough or out of place enough for me to catch it right off the bat.

There is a new release that fixes that, amongst several other things.  Release 1.50 is out!  Please download that and more importantly, revert to EVE 1.9.0.3 (now the newest), as the two previously newer releases of EVE had a bug that masked several bugs in Scatterer by actually overriding a good shader with a faulty one.  It was probably the origin of several cloud bugs, as well.

That bold part is important.  I'll be rejecting any bugs from here forward with a EVE build of 1.9.0.4 or 1.9.0.5 because those are known faulty builds that actually can mask issues in Scatterer, EVE and elsewhere due to a pretty doofus mistake on my part (hey, at least I'm honest).

The good news is while they didn't do anything horribly harmful, they didn't really do anything productive either, so reverting willl work fine and probabably even fix some bugs when you do it. Then, you get to enjoy the nice list of fixes in 1.50 of Scatterer should you desire (hint, the sunflare bug is one of them!)

Builds are up now at the usual download locations in the OP.

Changelog for Scatterer 1.50 follows:

This is a bugfix update to the 1.0 release series of Scatterer. To install simply extract to your KSP install.

What was changed / added since Unofficial Release 1.41?

1.) The sunflare code has seen a bugfix allowing it not to render underneath local scenery, and a null reference in the sunflare code was also corrected, potentially improving performance.,

2.) The Kerbin "Ultra" atlas shader is now handled properly code-side. This should be transparent to end users and just be a "good thing" provided they completely replace their stock scatterer folder. Please make sure to replace your Kerbin-atmo config in particular with this release, as the Spec RGB values are back to "normal" when using the Ultra shader due to a method of detecting the Atlas shader discovered by blackrack.

3.) The shaders were previously compiled on an AMD Navi card, which seemingly is producing significantly different shaders than those nvidia cards like for some reason. This release simply bundles shaders that were built on a GTX 1060 Pascal nvidia card, which seems to work well on all cards, as tested and proven in a prior hotfix. We don't quite understand why this is, we just know it works and thank the frog god.

Remember, in order to install each release I recommend completely replacing the Scatterer folder.

Thank you for your continued reports.

Here is an example of the fixed sunflare shader on 1.50, using my own custom red dwarf Kerbolar-system mod and a medium communications-relay from my own carreer save.  You can see the sunflare now correctly draws over the craft as it should.

screenshot.png

Edited by R-T-B

The sunflare is a little broken around Moho. If you go to the tracking station and focus on Moho and move the sun to the edge of the screen, the sun appears on top of the sunflare: (using unofficial scatterer 1.50 and default sunflare)

Spoiler

38wQcxC.png

Just a minor bug, other than that works perfectly for me.

Edited by Aniruddh

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

For your reference, when it comes to making any decisions, you can see the market share of hardware via the Steam surveys which give a good indicator: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Oh I'm aware of the steam survey, but usually, it wouldn't matter.  We really shouldn't have to compile on different brand cards and I'm still confused as to what's going on there, but for right now I have a card that seemingly is working, so can't be bothered to figure out why it is happening  Laziness is a curse like that.

2 hours ago, Aniruddh said:

The sunflare is a little broken around Moho. If you go to the tracking station and focus on Moho and move the sun to the edge of the screen, the sun appears on top of the sunflare: (using unofficial scatterer 1.50 and default sunflare)

Hide contents

38wQcxC.png

Just a minor bug, other than that works perfectly for me.

Yeah I noticed that close up (seems to take real-super-duper closeups for me but it's certainly there and reproducible).  I wish I had a better idea of what was going on there, but I've got to be frank:  I've really no idea on that one so a fix is at least a few days away.  I'll continue toying with things in hope I find something miraculously broken like I just did, and can thus fix it.  You never know.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, The Space Man said:

A lot of the time i get this bug where the sky is super bright and the ocean completely opaque. Images here of what it looks like normally and when it's bugged - https://imgur.com/a/H3IWlDl

Log thingy https://www.dropbox.com/s/3scy0xcu12zh7sn/KSP.log?dl=0

This is a new one!  Hmm, let me know look at your log file and see if I can't replicate with similar hardware.  Thanks for the properly done bug report.

EDIT:  You did completely replace your scatterer folder last release, right?  Not just replace the dll?  That could cause this.  Otherwise, I may have to try some custom shaders for you as I see your running an older GPU (Kepler model GTX 680), and while it's not underpowered for it's age, it might need some workarounds in the shader code.  Let me know if you want to try some simple experimental builds with me.

Edited by R-T-B

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This is a new one!  Hmm, let me know look at your log file and see if I can't replicate with similar hardware.  Thanks for the properly done bug report.

EDIT:  You did completely replace your scatterer folder last release, right?  Not just replace the dll?  That could cause this.  Otherwise, I may have to try some custom shaders for you as I see your running an older GPU (Kepler model GTX 680), and while it's not underpowered for it's age, it might need some workarounds in the shader code.  Let me know if you want to try some simple experimental builds with me.

Folder was completely replaced. I keep the ocean/atmo settings at default anyway and only change a few settings in the config to False. I'm down to try anything. Haven't tried using just scatterer on it's own without EVE/AVP, i'll try that later today just to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Still happens without EVE/AVP. I'll try one of the earlier builds as I'm sure this didn't start happening until recently.

Edited by The Space Man

8 hours ago, The Space Man said:

Folder was completely replaced. I keep the ocean/atmo settings at default anyway and only change a few settings in the config to False. I'm down to try anything. Haven't tried using just scatterer on it's own without EVE/AVP, i'll try that later today just to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Still happens without EVE/AVP. I'll try one of the earlier builds as I'm sure this didn't start happening until recently.

Thanks.  I'm having issues compiling the shaders again (still foreign territory for me I guess) or I'd have something for you to try.  You may try it without other mods to see if it's a mod conflict in the meantime.  Otherwise, we'll have to wait until I work this out.  Hopefully not too long.

Edited by R-T-B

On 4/13/2020 at 9:32 AM, R-T-B said:
Here is an example of the fixed sunflare shader on 1.50, using my own custom red dwarf Kerbolar-system mod and a medium communications-relay from my own carreer save.  You can see the sunflare now correctly draws over the craft as it should.

I'm really enjoying your latest release, Return-To-Base!!  the sunflares look great, and are working as advertised! Thanks for all your hard work

IN0IKBf.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 6:32 PM, R-T-B said:

There is a new release that fixes that, amongst several other things.  Release 1.50 is out!

Yes! Fix confirmed. Great work @R-T-B, thank you very much! Replacing the sunflare works fine, too. :) 

Spoiler

qg8E8jj.png

Astroniki's sunflare is back! :D

Got a new bug, couldn't find anything about it in the thread. The underwater parts look gray when I look at them from the air, and above-water parts look gray when I look at them from underwater respectively (see screenshots). Not a bug report per se, just wondering if anyone's encountered the same bug. I'm running 1.9.1, DX11, AMD GPU, in terms of mods - EVE and Scatterer from this thread, Spectra, RealPlume and dependencies, PlanetShine, DistantObjectEnhancement.

COobcoy.png

HPaA3aA.png

UPDATE: I have been unable to pinpoint the cause of the bug, however a complete reinstallation of all mods and the KSP itself eliminated this bug and a few others. 

Edited by SpacePixel
Problem solved

@R-T-B I'm sorry for the late response, and I hope if it's still actual, but I have made a raw gameplay-video on YouTube, with timestamps (down in the video description especially for you) in it where the glitching appears. It took a while for me finding out how I could manage to do it, but now I could react faster, in this way. One thing that caught my attention is that the surface glitching only seems to appear when close to other controllable objects, at least in this video… No idea if it could have anything to do with it, but still, I hope it could help.

https://youtu.be/gUatBE8q3FU

Edited by 7pH

Sorry for the slow responses, I am genuinely going to have to be honest with you guys that I have fixed most of what I know how to fix...  I'll take a look at the new bugs but these strike me as maybe something that in the end will have to fall to blackrack's domain to fix.  I really don't know much about the shader code and several days later have still yet to get it to compile normally, and unfortunately, I believe that is where the remaining bugs lie.

"I'm trying but it's hard," is the summary of where I'm at, lol.

4 hours ago, 7pH said:

I'm sorry for the late response,

Pah, don't worry about it!  I know how it goes, we all get stuck actually playing the game some days! ;)

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

"I'm trying but it's hard," is the summary of where I'm at, lol.

Scatterer and E.V.E. were functional on 1.9.1 a lot sooner than expected, thanks to your maintenance work @R-T-B  There's no obligation to do anything more, unless you feel like it.

These versions have made this quarantine / social isolation thing easier for me, and I'm super grateful (and I'm sure others are too).

1 hour ago, BadRocket said:

Scatterer and E.V.E. were functional on 1.9.1 a lot sooner than expected, thanks to your maintenance work @R-T-B  There's no obligation to do anything more, unless you feel like it.

These versions have made this quarantine / social isolation thing easier for me, and I'm super grateful (and I'm sure others are too).

Completely agree with you.  I think @R-T-B you already did more than expected. You can't make everyone happy.

In my opinion this is already as good as it can get without investment a ridiculous amount of time doing troubleshooting.

Following the 80%-20% rule. You already covered more than the 80% but if you want to fix the remaining bugs you could potentially burnout.

So my suggestion is to do whatever you fancy more to do without taking into account people complains.

just a heads up that blackrack has official versions out, as such I am basically closing up shop here.  Please see here:

https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/releasesways

You can always fetch my builds at the old links but really, blackracks should be better.  He knows shaders like nobodies business and that's where the rest of the bugs were.

I may pick up other projects that interest me later but for now my work here is done.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.