[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I'm trying to build a reusable command/service module where a heat shield is attached to the service module. I'm having trouble figuring out the right shape for the service module, as when it's too cylindrical, I don't get enough drag to slow down. I'm using procedural parts. Anyone have any advice for determining the shape?

@mk-fg: Known issue. It will not affect gameplay though. There is also no reason to re-launch crafts.

@dlrk: A section of a cone. Your service module must be an extension of the command module, otherwise you'll end up with something too streamlined.

@mk-fg: Known issue. It will not affect gameplay though. There is also no reason to re-launch crafts.

Right. All surfaces seem to only get enabled below 70km (for Kerbin), didn't test reentry the last time.

FAR toolbar button doesn't seem to work on the same save with git master though, but it's not critical for me.

I think I broke it.

screenshot31-1.png

EDIT: After some testing, it's rather reproducible and it's something specific to this bird (loading another one fixes it but coming back to this one breaks it again). I'm going to get you my craft file.

EDIT 2: Here is the craft file, it's using B9, KW Rocketry, and Vanguard Parachutes. It actually fly's quite nicely too, at least in the atmosphere. Still working on space.

Edited by Alshain

@mk-fg: Control surfaces stay at zero when in space. It was a requested feature by someone (I forget who).

@dlrk: I trust you got it working after discussions on IRC?

@Alshain: You right-clicked one of the B9 engines and caused the NaN EC bug, which caused NaN mass, which caused NaN in the math. Either replace the engine parts or set the EC in them to 0, and then it will function. This is not a FAR bug, this is a bug caused by messed up engine w/ alternator configs and it is not possible for me to fix this; it must be done on the part side.

@Alshain: You right-clicked one of the B9 engines and caused the NaN EC bug, which caused NaN mass, which caused NaN in the math. Either replace the engine parts or set the EC in them to 0, and then it will function. This is not a FAR bug, this is a bug caused by messed up engine w/ alternator configs and it is not possible for me to fix this; it must be done on the part side.

Ah, ok. I've never seen that one before, but it should be easy enough to replace the engine.

Ah, ok. I've never seen that one before, but it should be easy enough to replace the engine.

You don't need to replace the engine, just save this as a cfg somewhere in Gamedata:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines],@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]
{
@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
%isTweakable = false
%hideFlow = true
}
}

You don't need to replace the engine, just save this as a cfg somewhere in Gamedata:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines],@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]
{
@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
%isTweakable = false
%hideFlow = true
}
}

Alternatively, you can use HotRockets, the MM config they include also replaces the Exsurgent engine controller (Hydra controller I think) to allow you to see the Delta V of both modes or the SABRE engines as well as the auto-switching that the stock RAPIER engines have.

Truly delightful mod. Though I do have one question, how much trouble would it be to replace the density and temperature inputs in the SPH FAR tab with 'planet' and 'altitude' instead. It would be slightly less general, but more straightforward to use, and I would think it would only need a look up table to implement.

quick question?

DAC provides negligible positive feedback to the elavons on my craft while exceeding mach 1. The crafts structure can take more and the controls can give more but DAC refuses to pitch up. Is this normal? Have I screwed up?

also.

I am having great difficulty exceeding mach 1.8 in SLF. this is primarily a deadly reentry problem but I was wondering if you could give me some hints as to what I can do. Or should I cool my jets so to speak?

OK, now I'm curious. Could you post a picture of the plane? My planes rarely need more than 10 degrees maximum deflection, so I'm wondering what sort of creative plane you've come up with.

I'm building a copy of ARES plane to fly it on Mars with RSS mod. Everything is fine except the control surfaces deflecting wrong way after I separate some stages and unfold wings and tail, KSP doesn't like it if we change the shape of a plane very much.

Right... I think KSP chooses deflection direction based on position relative to the center of mass. I've been trying to come up with a way of launching folding planes, too. The only way I think will work is to dock it onto the launcher.

Ferram, could we have control surfaces and flaps tweakable in flight? I'm completely fine with them not following symmetry, especially since I've had folding planes where the flaps deflected in opposite directions. It would also help with testing new planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.