How to transmit deployed science?

Hello team!

I just bought the Breaking Ground DLC and read/watched a number of posts and tutorials, but my deployed science setup on Duna does not transmit the science back to Kerbin.

There are 2 solar panels producing 3 units of power each, 1 control station, 1 HG-48 10G antenna/transmitter, and 2 experiments. Each experiment has 100% science completed, but 0% science transmitted. The CommNet signal strength is 88%, direct to Kerbin. I run KSP 1.9.1 in normal difficulty, no mods. Would anyone know what I miss to transmit the science? I suspect I might need to do a trip back to Duna, so I'd rather be prepared adequately! Maybe I need relay satellites, or a kerbal to initiate the transmission?

LyPX2xZ.png

I'm new here by the way :)

Marc.

Hi @spacemarc, welcome to the Forums!

On 5/12/2020 at 5:47 PM, spacemarc said:

The CommNet signal strength is 88%, direct to Kerbin.

Do you have a relay network set up that gives CommNet connection even when there is no direct line-of-sight between the station and Kerbin?
[Edit:] You wrote that you don't have relay satellites. .oO(*grrr* Hans! Read the full text next time! :blush:) So, yes! You do need a relay network for the deployed science to work reliably. But now that the experiments are finished you can actually "just" pick up the results with a Kerbal.[/Edit]

Have a look at what I wrote in this thread for an explanation why that matters and what I think happened to you.

Edited by AHHans

• 8 months later...

Hi,

this seems to be a display bug for the OX-Stat-PD and not an actual power production bug. Below you see the setup with Control Station, OX-Stat-PD and Go-ob ED, with the OX-Stat-PD placed from the engineer (out of his personal inventory).  The control station shows "Total Power Available: 2" and the Go-ob ED shows that science is produced (see below)

If I have the scientist pick up the OX-Stat-PD and then place it again, the "Total Power Available" in the control station changes to 1 and the Go-ob ED stops producing science.

Still a bug, but at least it works.

pwsSHg4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have found two situations that prevent data collected by a deployed science instrument (Ionographer PD-22, Go-ob ED Monitor, etc.) from being transmitted back to Kerbin even when a good communication link from the Probodobodyne Experiment Control Station to Kerbin, optionally through a relay, is available. If either one or both of these conditions exist, then the science completed by the instrument(s) will not be transmitted. While the problems are likely due to programming logic errors, workarounds are available as detailed below.

I have observed that the science collected by a deployed science instrument is transmitted at about 28-day intervals provided the equipment is powered and enabled, additional science has been collected, and a communications link is available. If there is no communications link at the time a transmission is attempted at the end of the next interval, a message communicating the failure is posted for each instrument, the key noCommNetMsgPosted in the corresponding SCIENCECLUSTER.MANNEDSCIENCEPARTS.MANNEDSCIENCEPART.EXPERIMENT section of the Persistent.sfs or other save file is updated with the value "True",  and no further transmission attempts are ever made even if the comm link is restored before the next interval. To fix this problem, reset noCommNetMsgPosted = False for all affected instruments in the save file.

Even with transmissions suspended after losing a comm link, deployed instruments will continue to collect science until they reach 100% of the science limit. When that happens, editing the noCommNetMsgPosted key value is still necessary but is not sufficient to fix the problem because there is no new science to be collected which is needed to trigger a transmission attempt. So, in addition to setting noCommNetMsgPosted = False in the save file, you must also reduce TotalScienceGenerated to a value below ScienceLimit found in the same EXPERIMENT sub-section so that new science may be completed to trigger a transmission attempt. You should also reduce StoredScienceData by the same percentage. (StoredScienceData was 12 times smaller than TotalScienceGenerated in my save file.) Next, you must also reset Enabled = True in the MANNEDSCIENCEPART section for each affected instrument. You may also want to verify that isEnabled = True in the instrument's VESSEL.PART.MODULE section found later in the save file. Searching for the MANNEDSCIENCE PartID will help you locate the vessel part having the matching persistentId.

After editing and saving the save file, reload the file in Kerbal Space Program. Expect up to 28 game days to elapse before receiving a message stating successful science data transmission provided a good communication link is available at the moment the transmission is attempted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.