B-2 Orbiter [0.16 stock]

eelikay

Hi. I'm eelikay. I'm somewhat new to KSP. But after messing around with building ships and flying other peoples ships, I eventually started to seriously design my own orbiter rocket. It started with the "A-1 Orbiter" design. Small changes here and there led to the "A-5 Orbiter". Now at this point I still couldn't make it to a stable orbit and the rocket itself was very unstable. Then a big overhaul in the design dealt with the instability (This one was thus named the "B-1 Orbiter") but I still couldn't get the rocket to orbit. It was an issue with fuel. So I made some small changes in the design and voila I ended up with the "B-2 Orbiter". This model was capable of making it to orbit AND safely returning home. So that is the story of the Orbiter class. Now for some pictures:

Ready for launch

orbiter1s.png

Liftoff!

orbiter2.png

Entering Orbit

orbiter3.png

Jettisoning second stage

orbiter4.png

Successful orbit!

orbiter5.png

Now for the good part. The craft file!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13903087/Orbiter.zip

Now for the end. I hope you enjoyed using my rocket as much as I enjoyed designing it!

-eelikay

That's a very nice ship! Just for the record, if you do things right, you can go with a two stage to orbit ship quite easily without using SRBs. Not that I mean to rain on your parade or anything, I really like this design.

I especially like the use of the two tanks in an upper stage connecting to the lower one. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it definitely looks cool.

Edited by AmpsterMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.