landing a helicopter (and blade angle question)

On 8/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, Rpatto92 said:

@king of nowhere @Echo__3 

Hey, been working on a helicopter build guide for a good while. I've figured most of this stuff out now and how exactly it translates into Kerbal. 

here's a link: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/218964-helicopter-build-guide/

Feel free to leave me a comment or any questions you might have.

This is a great guide. In studying helicopter design, I too have noticed these features. But I didn't think anyone would be interested in a two-hour YouTube tutorial for helicopters. Most people just want something quick and easy to understand. Although, for anyone serious about making a good helicopter in the game, this looks like the best explanation for them.

52 minutes ago, Echo__3 said:

This is a great guide. In studying helicopter design, I too have noticed these features. But I didn't think anyone would be interested in a two-hour YouTube tutorial for helicopters. Most people just want something quick and easy to understand. Although, for anyone serious about making a good helicopter in the game, this looks like the best explanation for them.

My intention is to cover everything from the very basic, through to the most complicated parts of design and to do so as briefly as I could make it.

That said, I think there's only three major takeaways....

1.  Balance the main rotor in pitch/roll (horizontal/vertical axes relatives to centre of mass)
  2.  Balance your tail rotor in roll (vertical axis relative to centre of mass)
  3. Articulate your main rotor (which you can with two hinges and a strut)

I did also just revisit an old idea, of using a single grip pad in place of hinges and it works about 80-90% as good as hinges (just use rigid attach and a strut). I'll add this simpler alternative to the guide at some point too.

I'm really hoping to make this simple enough for most people to be able to follow along and be making stable helicopters.

Thank you for reading and replying. It's very much appreciated. 

Edited by Rpatto92

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.