Official v0.18 Upcoming thread

Capt'n Skunky

Ok, some of my ideas, not only for next update but for all:

Custimisable crew: On the crew tab you can pick your crew (Eg. Jebidiah, Bill, Bob, Ect.) and even name your own. each kerbal has a g force tolerance different to the others, so if it goes 1 G to high they alone will die. and picking commanders would be cool, like on the IVA, they would be the one with the controlls and not all of them.

Rovers, Drones, and unnmanned missions: self explanatory. rovers could be manned or unmanned.

Space station assistance: Like docking, where you could transfer kerbals without EVA, or special deep space parts.

Difficulty: Easy (sort of a build in mechjeb thing, and things control easier.) Normal (Same as now, pretty much) Hard/Realistic (Maby the G force thing explained above, and/or food, o2, water, re-entry heat, occasional random space problems, like command capsule burst; where in like 2 hours they will all die if they don't get back to kerbin or diff space capsule)

Empty capsules: For saving stranded crew, and space station building.

Lunar Constructions (Or any planet) and Settlements: Like you could build mun bases that can launch rockets.

Campaign: Budget, Planner, Hiring crew, Exp (like increase G force resistance, piloting, and how scarred at certain points, interviews! :D and Personalities.) or even like weekly challenges for added money bonuses!

Random, simple aliens on planets: not like UFO flying aliens, just like some sort of beast on a planet that could attack, or just some harmless creatures.

Another Star to travel to: Well, if they could be bothered, it may just make the game too complicatedly large :P

Weather: self explanatory

Electricity: like an alternate fuel for deep space missions.

Multi-player: like a space race! :D really think it would be awesome!

In game modding community, and in game modding support: Extra Tabs for Mods, so they are not clustered in with the normal ones.

Edited by Orbital121
Update

I had a quick read through this thread, you all seem to be obsessed with docking, I honestly think that's a feature that's going to happen later on, it's going to be big when it comes so I think it should have an update of it's own, so Squad should implement the rest of what's in progress, and then focus on the complex parts.

I think 0.18 is going to be an interplanetary update, with many features overhauling what you can do on a planet/moon.

0.18 Interplanetary Update + Overhauls/Bug Fixes

New Features:

-More Planets and their moons (minimum 2 planets I presume would be added with one of them having at least 1 moon).

-Flight Planning (Interplanetary or relative to a planet and it's moon)

-More mission scenarios and tutorials

/-Overhauled Stock parts (retextures of 1 meter parts cause they don't fit the command pod in my opinion)

/-New Parts (More interplanetary equipement, rovers*, maybe another advanced (or moderate) technology version of parts)

-IVA Phase 2 (Doing the rest of the command modules and overhauling current ones, etc)

/-EVA Features (Could be good for scenarios ex: landing and collecting certain materials..)

/-WIP of Atmosphere conditions (weather, MAYBE re-entry conditions, more realistic colours..)

*= Rover parts like wheels, unique command pods or something, or maybe a new detachable module connected to the main lander that will be a rover (with a certain amount of seats)

(Anything feature listed with a slash in front is what I think they MIGHT add if they have the time, otherwise the rest I think they WILL add).

Bug Fixes:

-Cthulu-Buster (like Krakensbane but fixing whatever this mysterious Space Cthulu is doing with the warp speeds)

-The names of moons from other planets appearing while focused on 1 planet In the Map View (I noticed All the moons appearing from the planets while being at Kerbin, happens no matter where you are focused, it's a minor bug really)

-Bugs that we will find throughout the next days.... (DUN DUN DUN........)

I really see Squad focusing on an Interplanetary Update once again, not point leaving stuff unfinished and attacking a whole new ball-game, otherwise we would be left with too many unfinished features that would end in all sorts of bugs and glitches..

That's all I got to say Folks!

Edited by ElectroxSoldier

Personally, I'd love multiplayer.

I think it would be awesome each planet had about 3 people on, all at different KSC dotted around the planet. If docking was implemented, this would could allow a economey to get implemented, such as

Player 1 who owns the docking station has alot of fuel on it.

Player 2 is running low on fuel and needs buys some.

Player 1 then has to pay player 3 to bring some more fuel up to the docking station.

There could also be a upgrade shop at each of the KSC where people us money to buy upgrades.

The only problem is, how do they get money. Missions maybe? Or mining?

As the number of KSP Testers has been rapidly increasing, I would like to see some usability features. These are some random ideas I've had/tossed out before.

In the VAB:

The ability to set a part as the viewpoint. Right now the camera always rotates around the center of the VAB, this is frustrating when trying to place fuel lines or struts as you have to jostle the camera around to get the viewpoint you want. If you could set a part as the viewpoint it would make rotating and zooming much easier for better placement of parts.

The ability to Lock staging so new added parts create a new stage. Build a main center launch stage. Then add a radial stage and watch your nicely arranged staging to get all jumbled up. Rinse, repeat. It's minor, but annoying. Radial stages (ones with radial decouplers) should at the very least start their own new stage.

I'd like to see some changes to the parts list. There should be a tab for Recently used/Most commonly used parts. As the parts list grows (or you add mods) finding the key components of building your craft require a lot of page clicking.

Minor: The ability to raise/lower landing gear and ladders in the VAB to check spacing/operation.

In flight: The ability to right click on a part in the staging menu to start/stop it. On occasion I have found I needed to move an engine from a stage that wasn't firing to one that was already active. You'd think that would activate the engine, but it does not. You have to place the engine into a previous stage that would activate when you hit the spacebar. I dislike having to turn engines on/off from right clicking fuel tanks that supply them. It would be preferable to turn the engines themselves on/off by clicking on them or the stage icons.

What I really hope we see for .18 is the beginning of campaign stuff. I'd like the Kerbals to get some skills and the ability to choose who goes on a flight.

Personally, I'd love multiplayer.

I think it would be awesome each planet had about 3 people on, all at different KSC dotted around the planet. If docking was implemented, this would could allow a economey to get implemented, such as

Player 1 who owns the docking station has alot of fuel on it.

Player 2 is running low on fuel and needs buys some.

Player 1 then has to pay player 3 to bring some more fuel up to the docking station.

There could also be a upgrade shop at each of the KSC where people us money to buy upgrades.

The only problem is, how do they get money. Missions maybe? Or mining?

how would timewarp work? EXACTLY

Im satisfied with the moons/planets we have now. Considering they already said they are working on refinements to what is already there, I say excellent! Clean up any of the glitchy places i havent been to yet but heard people talk about, add some pre-built rovers (im honestly scared to try any of my own - the effort to get it somewhere, just to find it unlandable or inefficient would be such a PITA), plus some other stuff to do once your on the surface. I love the Easter Eggs and finding them is fun in its own right, but wouldnt it be cool to, i dont know, take rock samples, set up stable, stock-styled bases (with lab modules and such). Its a lot of fun to get to moons and other planets, a minigame or two once we are on the surface wouldnt hurt too much.

Optimization would be handy too. I know i have a pretty good rig, and when i get to a part count of about 250 or higher, it just does not agree with me. I can only cry for the guys with worse comps.

A standardized Electricity plugin? Im interested in trying one of the ones out, and several mods use them (but use different ones, and can all be uncompatible with each other, from what i understand), and im unwilling to download all the extra...fluff..to then sit around and dink and figure out which thing goes with what. Give people a model to work around, and watch the wonders resume.

Hate to say it. Idiot tools for interplanetary transfers. I kind of think i have it down now (i can get stuff to rendevouz with Duna more often than not), but even the slightest error makes such a profound impact on the flight plan and timing... y'know, im a pretty smart guy, but im not all that great when it comes to mathmetics in most respects. Im passable. And sometimes, looking at some of the suggestions on here (ok, i KNOW its literally rocket science), it seems like in order to make this game more accessible, lowering the difficulty curve a bit for some people i think would drastically increase playability, and you can turn the easy-tools off once you start getting more familiar with the game. Ive absolutely loved the challenge of building something that can orbit, then make it to the mun, then minmus, then other planets, but there were definately some places along the way in the last couple weeks when it was kind of overloading.

When something goes wrong with the craft, i would LOVE something more specific than "structural failure on"...Ive had a few different rockets that, its 50/50 odds, that once its past the atmosphere and on its last booster stage, the engine will just plow through the fuel tanks. It doesnt happen EACH time, so i have no clue what is going wrong or how i could modify the craft back in the VAB to prevent it.

MOAR EASTER EGGS NOMZ!

Great game guys!

Definitely dont need multiplayer at this stage, but I would say

-clear out the launch gantry save for a basic crew elevator, and make that a component that players must add in the vab (ie even real launch facilities at KSC/Baiknour have to be modified for various launches. Why not have this in KSP?)

-Docking would be nice, but I particularily would like the multi vessel launch capability. That being said, I have found Crewtank to be working in 0.17, so that can be a temporary fix for that

-The Scientific and decals lists are still empty ( since 0.13 at least). I think its about time a utility bay is added that can hold our KSPMSEP (experiments package)

-A bit more content work. I think it would be nice if someone working on the creative side at Squad started say, naming the mare, craters, whatever on the Mun, or ran community contests to do so, so that a landing on the mun, could be specified as Mare Kerbstrong (the big one on the near side :D), and an overlay could be pulled up in map view

-one last thing, not as important, but the dev team originally wanted to be able to simulate Space center management, like Buzz Aldrins Race into space. If this isnt at least partially started in 0.18 (kerbalnaut recruitment/a mission/space program log) I dont see it ever being finished.

But anyways, terrific work on 0.17. The visual improvements to the game truly were a giant leap. The overall program, particularily in map view looks almost real now, so good job.

Just a small suggestion, may even be planned but,

IVA mode is amazing as it is however there is no real "force feeback" when you are landing/burning/crashing. If there were small vibrations and a subtle rattling sound in the cockpit view when you fire the engines, a lurching effect when you land or crash and a "sinking into your seat" effect for high G's, it would make IVA's very immersive.

Just had another suggestion :)

An interface-ish thingy in the map view, to disable some off the other unwanted orbital lines. When you try to align your inclination of your orbit to match it with some other planet, there are a lot of lines confusing the heck out of me.

Epic'z ten suggestions for ya(written in experimental Kerbal-style):

1.Fairings for yor rocket'z don' burn in atmosphere

2.Some kin'd of re-entry heatz

3.Tripple parachute'z

4.Yo dawg,rover'z

5.Impossible to lan'd on Jool

6.Eva and rocket'z oxygen

7.Random engine failure'z

8.Some inspiration'z from FTL!

9.More scenario'z

10.Remote cotrolable rover'z like in MoonBase Alpha

My 100 post!