Official v0.18 Upcoming thread

Capt'n Skunky

A flight planner would really be neat. But I can't see any way of integrating it and keeping it simple. Any ideas?

I'd like to see some "orbital tools" in the map, like a protractor for example. I can't put my hand on the one I got buried in my old school stuff :D Added to the resource put online by Olex (http://ksp.olex.biz/) it would be enough.

There are a number of internal things that could be modeled. I don't mean IVAs, but unseen events.

Things like when consumables run out, crew performance suffers and even start to die.

Interior heat and cold problems.

Nonspecific break downs of equipment that will cause a time delay when controlling a vehicle until it is fixed.

Solar storms that cause equipment break down and radiation sickness.

Basically any of these events slow down crew response and triggers a time delay or death.

Things to explore on foot for the Kerbins like caves and something on the ocean floor of the water moon to explore with under water probes.

Much bigger assembly areas.

....Oh and more server racks for the next up date. :D

Edited by Tommygun

Before we go crazy with suggestions, the thing I want to see is better optimization. The game has taken a liking to pulling a Jebidiah and crashing almost every time I launch. I only have two mods installed, both of which never caused problems pre .16.

I haven't been playing long, but I love this game. It's just fantastic.

For an update, a few small (I think) things that would make a substantial difference in gameplay would be (there may be mods for some of this; if so, please let me know):

- the ability to click on an item in the build list and delete it, including all of the disconnected bits that are floating around the hangar

- with interplanetary travel, warp 1,000,000 would be lovely - 10 minute orbits trying to line up with Jool, even at max warp, are pretty painful and if you have to wait for several orbits to get an for an encounter, ouch

- a graphical indicator of the sphere of influence of a celestial body <--- this more than any of the others

My biggest problem is that I like piloting my own ship rather than having to rely on MechJeb (which is pretty incredible, don't get me wrong.) Without a calculated course, I wind up doing my best to get to where I think I need to be, but a lot of the time I've got the right idea but wind up waiting for several orbits for things to line up, or the visuals from the game indicate that I'm going to make a close pass by something and it's not close enough. I'd just like to know how close close is, you know? (Try hitting Moho for a good example. It's incredibly tiny, and course adjustments are very expensive due to the high velocity of the orbit.)

- docking

- ability to save payload and launch vehicle separately

- ability to start a construction without a command module (needed for making a dedicated launch vehicle)

- stock solar panels, electric engine, and battery packs (to set a standard for mods if nothing else so that different modpacks can be compatible with each other)

- separate tab for mod parts and better organization of mods (currently mod parts are placed everywhere, it would be nice to have all the parts of a modpack grouped together)

Some of my wish list items / predictions. Mostly long awaited stuff:

- Docking.

- Multi-capsule ships (Apollo-style).

- VAB/SPH assemblies (saving/loading assembled parts).

- Complete IVA (kerbals walking around in the ships).

- Stock crew modules / empty capsules (for space stations).

- More information readouts (think MechJeb's info panels).

- Consumables (electricity, oxygen & food/water).

i like all this but i wana add 1 thing

solar panels

I feel silly asking for things from 0.18 having only downloaded 0.17 yesterday, but, what the heck.

-Definitely a faster warp for those interplanetary journeys to Jool. If they do add planets further away, they're gonna have to add this really.

-I'd also appreciate a display of the angles of other planets, so I don't have to hold my protractor up to my screen.

-A bigger command pod would be nice, but not essential.

-Also, rovers. Even if it's just one type, it's currently impossible to explore planets properly after landing. Something that can be attached to and deployed from your ship, perhaps with room for a Kerbal, would be ace.

-DOCKING! I don't like to demand things from the developers, but this is a much needed feature. Some kind of orbital module, which you attach to your ship in the VAB and then deploy once in orbit would also be great. Obviously you'd have to put the Kerbals into it once it's in orbit.

Things I want to see!

1: Pin point landing missions with a high score table, scores calculated by Time taken, accuracy, money spent.

Objective is to land a craft on a planet inside a small radius, quickest time, near to the center of the radius, and cheapest build, get put on the high score table.

2: Artifacts on all planets and moons.

Objective is to be given a small clue about a planet, which hints to where you may find a artifact on the planet or moon, then once you have a idea of where it is, go to the planet, find the artifact, and return home with it.

The hints could all be geographical and you could orbit the planet/moon to find the geological feature which the artifact is near. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! When you have the artifact in the craft, it could make you craft very heavy or very light, or make your guiding systems fail for periods of time, making it very hard to get it back to Kerbin. You could have a trophy room that all the artifact you have found and returned are stored.

Imagine this! Your mission, to go to the MUN and bring back a artifact, the artifact is the Monolith from 2001 A Space Odyessy, when you find it, and pick it up, putting it in your craft for the return flight....you would think it would be easy to bring it back to Kerbin...from that distance...right?...WRONG! It will mess with your craft making the return journey a totally diffrent BAL game!

These are just ideas that I have been daydreaming about.

Well done Squad 0.17 is amazing.

Figure out something for the downloads, or .18 is just going to be a huuuuuuuge headache.

But past that, I'd really love to see you guys take out the left, right, up and down sensation you get from the auto stabilization whilve EVAing in space, I'd like .18 to kind of polish what you've already completed. You guys say you tend to work on what least developed, And at this point i'd say it's the place holders that are still all over. I'd really appreciate some polish most I think.

Redo the VAB and SPH menus, Organize part menus for mod friendlyness, Expand upon the IVAs, Optimize the engine in general to fix things like being lit up on the dark side of a planet, or slightly falling through textures, and of course do your best to stomp out the kraken/cthulu for good. Make EVA's autodirection an option or something so it feels more like space, how the ships feel. Really expand on the parts list to prepare for the building of moon bases and orbital stations and what not, Some animated parts for doors, Telescopic lenses that let you zoom, There's so many parts you guys could make that would add a lot of flesh to the game and it would be great.

I'd also love to see things like better optimized shadows and darker nights and completed terrain scatter. Make it feel a bit more spacey you know, being on a planet at night with just your little lander lit up would be a superb sight to see with some better shading effects. Possibly even some early implentations of weather and terrain variation. Give us some amazingly tall mountains or deep canyons and stuff that will dwarf any ship, Cool sights like that would be a lot more entertaining than the eastereggs you guys usually pop in, which are fun but I don't want to end up with a game full of random crap all over the entire solar system. I'd much rather see impressive terrain, Caves, Mountains, Cliffs, Valleys, Plains, Asteroid impacts, etc etc.

And of course docking, I wouldn't really mind if the IVA portion wasn't done, That's a lot of work and i'd like to see it polished, probably .19 at the earliest. Overall I think you guys should kind of polish what you've already completed and get your servers running. And throw docking into the mix if you find the time.

I only want to see IVAs completed, as far as a must-have. As nice as the update was, the lack of IVAs for the two best cockpits was very disappointing, especially considering that IVAs were initially going to be a part of .16 before being bumped off in favor of EVAs. Everything else should be secondary to completing what was supposed to be a major feature of .17. /personalopinion

Has nobody thought that docking should just be a new system in its entirety? Here's how it can work, and yes, I have solved the staging issue :3

Once two vessels are docked, they remain two completely separate vessels stage-wise

However, structurally they are now as if they were built together in the VAB

Now you got a specialized control panel for docking

With it, you can transfer crew between the vessels.

Boom, problem solved.