Which Moon is Easier???

Which moon is easier ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which moon is easier to land on and get to?

In terms of getting to them I'd say- Ike, Gilly, Pol, Bop. While the Eve transfer window opens more regularly than the Duna one, Ike's orbit is both planar and geostationary plus it's the biggest of the four moons, however that can be a hindrance rather than a help if you don't actually want to go to Ike but it gets in the way; Gilly has an elliptical and inclined orbit and a tiny SOI, but it's easier to get to Eve than to Jool; Pol is less inclined than Bop which makes up for it being the outermost Joolian moon.

For landing on them, probably- Gilly, Pol, Bop, Ike. Gilly is the smallest and has the lowest gravity (I think), and if I remember them correctly from the one time I've been to Jool's moons Pol has flatter terrain than Bop which is very lumpy, making Pol the easier target; Ike is the biggest so requires more delta-V to land from orbit.

For overall ease of operations when you're there- Gilly, Ike, Pol, Bop. Gilly has the advantage of being closest to the Sun and so gets a lot more power from those solar panels, plus it will hardly ever be eclipsed by Eve, however the low gravity makes it more hazardous; Ike is regularly eclipsed by Duna, but again the solar panels will still give you a reasonable dose of electricity and the gravity is high enough that you don't have to worry about floating around too much; and both Pol and Bop are too far out to get any meaningful power from solar panels (1EC/s from a Gigantor if you're lucky) so there really isn't much to choose from those two.

In my current career game I've reached the stage where I'm planning the first interplanetary mission, and I'm going with Gilly- much more solar power than at Duna will make it easier to gather a whole load of long-term science from it.

Spoiler

OuqzGMIyaP0PGmCBqn0JIwf7a6SWWu9XtHVIdOEg

Laythe 

It takes a bit more deltaV to transfer to Jool than to Duna(and Eve, but the SoI is quite easy to hit. The several options to capture around Jool tend to let you closer to Laythe than to Bop/Pol. The higher gravity at Laythe  saves from the tedious inching towards the surface one experiments around Gilly (and Bop/Pol). Finally, the presence of an atmosphere allows the use of parachutes and wings for the landing itself.

Departing from Laythe is not as easy as from the above mentioned moons , however there is the option of using jet engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.