Setting waypoints with kerbnet

i just discovered the functionality to set waypoints with kerbnet - just after i am mostly done exploring several planets and i won't need it for long anymore. but anyway

i noticed that if i have a ship in orbit, i can only set a waypoint underneat the ship. or rather, in the narrow cone underneath the ship. i am in an equatorial low orbit, and i can only mark points a couple degrees north or south. i want to make a waypoint to a crater around 25-30°N, and i have no way to do it. even if my orbit was polar, i'd have to wait until i am exactly over the place to set a waypoint. I can see it would work much better if i was in a high polar orbit, but i'm not there.

is there some easier way to set waypoints?

since i'm here, and i just discovered kerbnet: i know it's supposed to detect anomalies, but how does one do it?

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

i just discovered kerbnet: i know it's supposed to detect anomalies, but how does one do it?

The wiki is a good source of information https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/KerbNet

To discover anomalies you need a craft running a Kerbnet scan with a part that has a non zero percent chance of detecting one. They will show up as a "?" on the kerbnet scan and you can set a way-point to it for later investigation on the surface.

Kerbnet works a bit like looking down at the planet with a telescope, you can only see  - and thus put a waypoint marker - a limited area below your craft. The size of that area depends on your orbit (the farther away you are from the planet, the larger the area) and the field-of-view (FOV) of the "telescope" - i.e. the probe core or scanner - that you use.

So to see a larger area you can choose a wider orbit, move the FOV slider in the Kerbnet window to the right (if you haven't done that already), or choose another probe core that has a larger maximum FOV. Or a combination of those.

As @Caerfinon already mentioned: anomalies (monoliths, DSN antennas, Mun-arches etc.) show up as a "?" on the kerbnet scan when they are detected.  One problem is that most probe cores have only a relative low chance of detecting a certain anomaly per day, the exception is the RoveMate that will detect all anomalies in its FOV. The drawback is that its FOV is rather tiny, but that can be (mostly) compensated by putting it in a high orbit. So in my current "I want to visit all anomalies" career I put a satellite with a RoveMate into orbit of all planetary bodies.

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

Kerbnet works a bit like looking down at the planet with a telescope, you can only see  - and thus put a waypoint marker - a limited area below your craft. The size of that area depends on your orbit (the farther away you are from the planet, the larger the area) and the field-of-view (FOV) of the "telescope" - i.e. the probe core or scanner - that you use.

So to see a larger area you can choose a wider orbit, move the FOV slider in the Kerbnet window to the right (if you haven't done that already), or choose another probe core that has a larger maximum FOV. Or a combination of those.

As @Caerfinon already mentioned: anomalies (monoliths, DSN antennas, Mun-arches etc.) show up as a "?" on the kerbnet scan when they are detected.  One problem is that most probe cores have only a relative low chance of detecting a certain anomaly per day, the exception is the RoveMate that will detect all anomalies in its FOV. The drawback is that its FOV is rather tiny, but that can be (mostly) compensated by putting it in a high orbit. So in my current "I want to visit all anomalies" career I put a satellite with a RoveMate into orbit of all planetary bodies.

if i pass over the same anomaly multiple times, do i have new chances to discover it?

do i need to control the craft in orbit or can i just forget it there? can i speed up time a lot and spend some dozens orbits in a few seconds to find all anomalies?

if i pass over the same anomaly multiple times, do i have new chances to discover it?

Only if enough time has passed. But I don't know exactly how much is "enough"(TM).

do i need to control the craft in orbit or can i just forget it there?

You only see Kerbnet when you control the craft. And just because a certain probe has detected an anomaly on one point in time doesn't mean it will remember that later, so if you check again later it can be that the marker is not there.

You can speed up while scanning with kerbnet to make the planet "move" faster in your FOV. (But not to collect all anomalies while being AFK or so.)

As I wrote: I avoid this problem by using the RoveMate.

Edited by AHHans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.