Interstellar Travel?

1 hour ago, Tristen Simon said:

So, I heard that it will be possible to travel to different star systems in Kerbal Space Program 2. Is this true? If so, if anybody knows, what other stars are there and how far away from Kerbol (The Sun) will they be located?

About a year in interstellar craft travels I recall a dev saying for some.

11 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

About a year in interstellar craft travels I recall a dev saying for some.

So, if I'm playing Sandbox mode, Career mode, or Science mode, if I unlock the Warp Drive and use it, it would take an entire year to get to the closest stars?! Good thing time warp exists.

10 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

So, if I'm playing Sandbox mode, Career mode, or Science mode, if I unlock the Warp Drive and use it, it would take an entire year to get to the closest stars?! Good thing time warp exists.

Not that bad considering a normal Hohmann transfer from Kerbin to, say, Jool takes the better part of a decade.

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Not that bad considering a normal Hohmann transfer from Kerbin to, say, Jool takes the better part of a decade.

And now that the Kerbol system is getting more planets, Puf, the Rask and Rusk binary planets, and Ovin, getting out of the Kerbol system might take longer. THAT IS, what if the 4 new planets aren't part of the Kerbol system? What if they're part of a seperate star system?

2 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

and if you are impatient its gonna get the better part of your Delta V costs.

OH YEAH, didn't really think about Delta v. You're probably also gonna have to change direction from time to time to get to other stars too, although, stars move pretty slowly. And if Squad decides to or not, we could be able to explore the ENTIRE KSP GALAXY! Although, that's a lot of data for a game from 2022 to handle. Maybe if we get a KSP3, it will be possible? By the way, what's the name of the KSP Galaxy?

4 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

And now that the Kerbol system is getting more planets, Puf, the Rask and Rusk binary planets, and Ovin, getting out of the Kerbol system might take longer. THAT IS, what if the 4 new planets aren't part of the Kerbol system? What if they're part of a seperate star system?

The kerbin system isn't changing, all the planets mentioned are in new solar systems. That has been confirmed and reconfirmed from the beginning.

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

The kerbin system isn't changing, all the planets mentioned are in new solar systems. That has been confirmed and reconfirmed from the beginning.

Oh. I only watched the KSP2 announcements video on YouTube and it only mentioned the 4 planets, not where they would be.

44 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

Oh. I only watched the KSP2 announcements video on YouTube and it only mentioned the 4 planets, not where they would be.

It was mentioned in one of the first interviews with Nate. Then there are a few threads discussing the subject already.

1 hour ago, Tristen Simon said:

OH YEAH, didn't really think about Delta v. You're probably also gonna have to change direction from time to time to get to other stars too, although, stars move pretty slowly. And if Squad decides to or not, we could be able to explore the ENTIRE KSP GALAXY! Although, that's a lot of data for a game from 2022 to handle. Maybe if we get a KSP3, it will be possible? By the way, what's the name of the KSP Galaxy?

Slow??? Maybe in a GALACTICAL perspective but our sun travels at around 200,000 M/s. I estimate there will be in between 5 to 20 star systems in KSP2. And maybe if NATE SIMPSON takes notes on my advice we could see a black hole boi or Neutron star boi...

2 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Slow??? Maybe in a GALACTICAL perspective but our sun travels at around 200,000 M/s. I estimate there will be in between 5 to 20 star systems in KSP2. And maybe if NATE SIMPSON takes notes on my advice we could see a black hole boi or Neutron star boi...

Well, if they move too fast, it's gonna be easy to miss other systems

15 hours ago, Tristen Simon said:

Warp Drive and use it, it would take an entire year to get to the closest stars?!

No warp drives, the time will depend on the trajectory and the engine technology used.

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

No warp drives, the time will depend on the trajectory and the engine technology used.

The only reasonable trajectory for interstellar is a straight line. If you are traveling slow enough for your trajectory in interstellar space to curve noticeably, no amount of time warp will help you.

22 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

Wouldn't it take over 300 years to reach the next star without a warp drive, though?

Why 300 years? How far is the next star and at what speed? Nearest star might only be two light years away and ship velocity might reach 0.5c so potentially only four years travel time. 

58 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

Wouldn't it take over 300 years to reach the next star without a warp drive, though?

Depends on how good your rocket is. with an orion drive you can get there in 100, and with an antimatter drive you can get to the closest star in 5 (assuming your talking about proxima centauri).

3 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

Depends on how good your rocket is. with an orion drive you can get there in 100, and with an antimatter drive you can get to the closest star in 5 (assuming your talking about proxima centauri).

Isn't anti-matter a mod, tho?

3 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

Why 300 years? How far is the next star and at what speed? Nearest star might only be two light years away and ship velocity might reach 0.5c so potentially only four years travel time. 

Some people predict the closest star will be 1 lightyear away. From Voyager 1's position, it will reach the Oort Cloud (which is 1 lightyear away from the Sun) in 300 years.

22 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

At least one of the ships in the initial trailer looks a bit like a beam core antimatter drive. But hard to say. We definitely have a Project Daedalus style fusion drive, though, which is also a decent improvement on Orion.

Finally, we don't know what distances are going to be like. Sun is in a less dense portion of a galaxy, so 4ly to nearest neighbor is definitely not on the low side for stars. And star systems in KSP have already been shrunk. So having all neighboring stars fall in 0.1ly - 0.3ly range wouldn't be unreasonable. That would let you reach nearby stars within a few decades, which would still require major time warp to make it playable, but within reason.

54 minutes ago, Tristen Simon said:

Some people predict the closest star will be 1 lightyear away. From Voyager 1's position, it will reach the Oort Cloud (which is 1 lightyear away from the Sun) in 300 years.

But we're not talking about voyager are we.