Bad performance anywhere except kerbin near ground

i get around 30 fps with 80-99% gpu usage when launching 75 part rockets on kerbin, with astronomers visual pack, scatterer, real plume, engine lighting and 3.5 rescale. But when i get within 10km of the muns surface or any other body like mars i get 7-15 fps, with around 10% gpu usage, i cant find any reason why this would happen everywhere except kerbin?
i turned down all of the settings and textures and there was no increase in performance near planetary bodies? i removed avp and anything affecting the muns visuals but there was no change in fps, and my lander was fairly small with only a few parts. does anyone know what is affecting this? i went to mars and it was fine all through the atmosphere but just before touchdown it went to less than 10fps.
i play in fullscreen mode if that is important.
specs: i7-770k, gtx1070ti, 32gb ram

No specific help here but I suggest going back to a never-modded KSP install and see how that works. Hopefully you have a separate (non-Steam) install. Just start a new sandbox game and cheat ship to Mun orbit. That will probably work fine. It's probably a mod you didn't expect or a mod that was removed that damaged the KSP core files.  

On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, khwajai said:
i get around 30 fps with 80-99% gpu usage when launching 75 part rockets on kerbin, with astronomers visual pack, scatterer, real plume, engine lighting and 3.5 rescale. But when i get within 10km of the muns surface or any other body like mars i get 7-15 fps, with around 10% gpu usage, i cant find any reason why this would happen everywhere except kerbin?
i turned down all of the settings and textures and there was no increase in performance near planetary bodies? i removed avp and anything affecting the muns visuals but there was no change in fps, and my lander was fairly small with only a few parts. does anyone know what is affecting this? i went to mars and it was fine all through the atmosphere but just before touchdown it went to less than 10fps.
i play in fullscreen mode if that is important.
specs: i7-770k, gtx1070ti, 32gb ram

• astronomers visual pack, scatterer, real plume, engine lighting and 3.5 rescale.

Most likely lighting / shadow / reflection related. Try taking out scatterer first, then real plume and then engine lighting (individually) to see which one makes the most impact. Then try a couple of them. Then all three. 

Could be that one isn't interacting well with the other, or they're competing for shininess and layering their effect on each other. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.