thinking about making a soviet-type pack, feedback please?

mivanit

what ship should I concentrate work on most?  

1. 1. what ship should I concentrate work on most?

• Vostok spacecraft
    • Voskhod spacecraft
    • N-1 rocket
    • Energia launch system
    • Buran shuttle
    • R7 rocket
    • Proton rocket
    • Venera-11 style lander

so rockets are built in Russia and then stuck on a train to Kazakhstan

Actually, that was one of the major factors that they say contributed to the failure of the N1:

Major rocket equipment could be transported to Cape Canaveral by barge in one piece.

This is not so of the Soviet rockets, which had to be disassembled and shipped by train.

The assembly/disassembly/reassembly process was blamed for a myriad of defects that might have developed in the Soviet Rockets.

well, as you can see from the my pictures, not a single part of this pack is picture-perfect, so don't worry about it.

this is supposed to be soviet-like, which basically gets me out of making the model have a kerbillion polygons and making you game lag.

perfect parts are nice, but not the point of focus here.

MY opinion is that it is better to quickly get a working but not-so-nice model to use, and maybe in later updates I will make it more accurate.

I would like the community opinion on the above statement tho ^

Here's a breakdown of the N1 rocket complex:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/n1.html

Question: is the intent to use the old K1 parts that Nova made? If so, it had a complete 1st stage (tank and engine) - but only 2nd and 3rd stage tanks and decouplers (the cages) so 2nd and 3rd stage engines would be the best place to start (if you're using the old parts anyway)

Here's a breakdown of the N1 rocket complex:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/n1.html

Question: is the intent to use the old K1 parts that Nova made? If so, it had a complete 1st stage (tank and engine) - but only 2nd and 3rd stage tanks and decouplers (the cages) so 2nd and 3rd stage engines would be the best place to start (if you're using the old parts anyway)

Thanks for the breakdown and the cage is prob ganna be the only thing I may have trouble with, Hope not but still I may since I'm new to modeling. Also im doing a New N1 Parts set, I want this to be a learning experience for me.

I am looking forward to an N1. Will there be an LK lander in there, too?

Yes there will be a LK but perhaps not in the First update, Im new to modeling like I've said and that may be a bit tricky ATM, I plan on using Erkles docking mod and a Crewtank system for the LK so it can Seperate, land, Rendzevous, Ect. Just like the Real N1 it will hold Two kerbals, One will EVA to the LK, Land, EVA On the Mun, Launch, And Rendzevous with the Other kerbal in orbit around the Mun. What I plan on doing is picking about 3 Beta testers, The first Beta test will be testing the Command pod and Service module, Second will be (Hopefully) the LK and CM and possibly the Munar Booster, And Third will be the Rocket itself.

The only reason I'm letting people beta test is My laptop can barely run my rockets let alone a Mod, So Start to sign up for N1 Testing, Hopefully I can get the First out this week or next week.

Edit: If you want to Beta test PLEASE message me, don't spam here please, Rather have spam in my mailbox than here :D

Edited by Sbowyer28

one tip for the poll: dont build a spesifick craft. just focus on rusia stile of making thigs, not on the things they put togeter whit it. this makes the pack more useble instead of one pervect craft you can build whit it.

and if you need help whit texturing, i can unwrap and for the rest im useless

well, as you can see from the my pictures, not a single part of this pack is picture-perfect, so don't worry about it.

this is supposed to be soviet-like, which basically gets me out of making the model have a kerbillion polygons and making you game lag.

perfect parts are nice, but not the point of focus here.

MY opinion is that it is better to quickly get a working but not-so-nice model to use, and maybe in later updates I will make it more accurate.

I would like the community opinion on the above statement tho ^

I'm with you on this one.

I'm not fond of the high res models I like my mind to fill in the blanks.

Also a really nice model might stand out amongst stock parts

Thanks for the replies! My original plan was to have a seperate pack of all the solar panels, antennas, and other "stickupy thingies" (<-- name of pack?) o put wherever. I will try to scale everything so it is compatible with both stock and other parts from the pack.

Thanks for the replies! My original plan was to have a seperate pack of all the solar panels, antennas, and other "stickupy thingies" (<-- name of pack?) o put wherever. I will try to scale everything so it is compatible with both stock and other parts from the pack.

It's official the separate pack of all solar panels and stuff is officially called "Stickupy Thingies"

OH MA GAWD.

NOVASILSKO VOTED ON THE POLL.

HE HAS SEEN THIS POLL.

HE HAS SEEN MY USERNAME.

I FEEL SO IMPORTANT!!!

Nova, if you ver read this, just so you know, I practically worship you. If it weren't for you, I would never have had an Incentive to learn to model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.