Part Recovery improvements

Part recovery limitations in stock KSP 1 are one of the main selling points of SSTO (beyond just being cool). However, in KSP 2 it might be possible to follow an approach similar to a rather popular private space exploration enterprise company that flies back their first stage to a landing site, while the upper stage continues its burns. This method saves costs as a large portion of the rocket can be reused. Or even the classic Space Shuttle's SRB recovery method allowed the shuttle to recoup some costs. 

I think the economics of partially or fully reusable space travel are important for a game like KSP 2, at least in the "current" and "near future" stages of the game, where the economics of a launch are still important.

However, KSP 1 didn't really allow for many forms of part recovery beyond SSTOs. I wonder would it be possible and reasonable to look for improvements in this area in the 2nd game. I know mods helped in KSP 1 to a degree, but I never tried any out. 

Edited by MKI

I've never wanted to fly a stage back to the KSC or wherever to actually land it. But the biggest disappointment is when you have a bunch of parachutes on your first stages and have it considered destroyed when it fell out of physics range. It's definitely a WTH moment. 

I agree. If a stage is setup properly for a return flight or has enough parachutes for it to survive the landing, it should be considered recovered or added as debris to cleanup. 

Apparently they're going to implement a system where if you successfully launch an specific ship, the game records the result and you don't need to launch the same ship by yourself again. It's quite possible the same system could be used in a way you launch a test flight in which you launch a payload into orbit, and do another test flight in which you land the booster stage and the game uses the data in such way the game recovers the booster stage by itself in subsequent launches.

It is also doable for the game to save the game as soon as a detached controllable stage gets out of physics range (or preferably just far enough that one stage's turbulence should not affect the other's trajectory), start recording the trajectory of the active rocket and after you've done maneuvering the payload stage you can go back to the booster stage and land by yourself while the games uses the recorded data to reenact your payload launch profile and put it safely into orbit

2 hours ago, Jack Mcslay said:

Apparently they're going to implement a system where if you successfully launch an specific ship, the game records the result and you don't need to launch the same ship by yourself again. It's quite possible the same system could be used in a way you launch a test flight in which you launch a payload into orbit, and do another test flight in which you land the booster stage and the game uses the data in such way the game recovers the booster stage by itself in subsequent launches.

That is not actually correct. Yes, Intercept will be adding automation for some missions. Nothing more has been said about the subject. We don't know how it would work or what situations you can use automation. Everything you have said is player speculation. Even if it makes sense, don't count on it until it's confirmed by some official method.

I go back and forth between whether I think KSP2 needs money at all or not. It could be just research and resources. Even if that were the case maybe recovered vessels and modules could be reused without having to spend raw materials?

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

Even if that were the case maybe recovered vessels and modules could be reused without having to spend raw materials?

It would make sense just to pay for fuel and a minor refurbishment cost for something that was recovered. Either funds or resources could work in this case.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, Pthigrivi said:

I go back and forth between whether I think KSP2 needs money at all or not. It could be just research and resources. Even if that were the case maybe recovered vessels and modules could be reused without having to spend raw materials?

Regardless if its money/resources, the same idea would apply to any recovery efforts.

Save me some ___, while preventing me from just slapping on more boosters until I win ;D