What planets would you like to see?

yoyo478

Because that wiki is:

1. Fan-edited

2. Out of date

I coined the term Kerbol long before I was a developer, and nobody on the team (myself included) wants to name the Sun that - it will remain just "the Sun". If you want a descriptor for it, the generally used one is "The Kerbal System"

Isn't that sorta impossible? Wouldn't the moon just be pulled to the planets surface? Who cares! Sounds awesome!

I don't see why it would be impossible. A moon can be as small as an asteroid, mars proves that. If its small and moving fast enough (as long as its outside the atmosphere), it could orbit in the same way that your rocket can orbit kerbin at an altitude of 70K meters.

It could still work if it was big, even planet sized. it would be like a binary star system, with two planets orbiting each other. however, I'm not sure if a binary planet system could still be stable when orbiting another star... maybe, but im not sure.

Because that wiki is:

1. Fan-edited

2. Out of date

I coined the term Kerbol long before I was a developer, and nobody on the team (myself included) wants to name the Sun that - it will remain just "the Sun". If you want a descriptor for it, the generally used one is "The Kerbal System"

Ah, I see. However, would you not agree that, if I go on calling it Kerbol, everyone will understand the body I am talking about? And isn't that truly all that a "name" is?

(btw I found the official wiki and it still calls it Kerbol: http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Main_Page) [ATTACH=CONFIG]33989[/ATTACH]

Edited by spikeyhat09

He said really close, I took that as right on the edge of the atmosphere. A regular moon can be formed when a large object hits a planet and debris is sent off into space. The impact would have to be really weak for it to be very low for it to have a very low orbit and if it was that weak it would have slim chances of making orbit. The more realistic way would be like you said an asteroid captured like Mars's Phobos and Demos. But again, it would have to be traveling really close to the surface for that to work. Either that or I'm stupid.

EDIT: That forum still says community driven :)

He said really close, I took that as right on the edge of the atmosphere. A regular moon can be formed when a large object hits a planet and debris is sent off into space. The impact would have to be really weak for it to be very low for it to have a very low orbit and if it was that weak it would have slim chances of making orbit. The more realistic way would be like you said an asteroid captured like Mars's Phobos and Demos. But again, it would have to be traveling really close to the surface for that to work. Either that or I'm stupid.

I was thinking more along the lines of two moons collided with each other and a piece of debris was sent into a very low orbit

EDIT: That forum still says community driven :)

I suppose. point taken.

Id like some sort of asteroid belt. Tons of very small bodies moving at high speed between Duna and Jool. Nothing special, just something that you could go out and land on if you were feeling particularly adventurous. maybe a couple could even be as big as Gilly but they'd be outside of any planets SOI and their own SOI would be really really really tiny because of their mass making anykind of mission to 1 a huge challenge. Something you could be proud of. Also random events would be neat. Like occasionally maybe 5 - 10 times per game year a comet could spawn in deep space, head into the system, and then back out and despawn a certain distance out in deep space again. the trajectory would be randomized so on rare events it could collide with a planet (like Jool because of its huge SOI) or if it passed too close to Kerbol it could break apart or something.

Ah, I see. However, would you not agree that, if I go on calling it Kerbol, everyone will understand the body I am talking about? And isn't that truly all that a "name" is?

(btw I found the official wiki and it still calls it Kerbol: http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Main_Page) [ATTACH=CONFIG]33989[/ATTACH]

Yes, but it also states that "The name 'Kerbol' is created by the forum members, it never appears in the game. In the game the star is referred to as 'the Sun.'" Not that I'm against the idea of calling it Kerbol or anything.

Id like some sort of asteroid belt. Tons of very small bodies moving at high speed between Duna and Jool. Nothing special, just something that you could go out and land on if you were feeling particularly adventurous. maybe a couple could even be as big as Gilly but they'd be outside of any planets SOI and their own SOI would be really really really tiny because of their mass making anykind of mission to 1 a huge challenge. Something you could be proud of. Also random events would be neat. Like occasionally maybe 5 - 10 times per game year a comet could spawn in deep space, head into the system, and then back out and despawn a certain distance out in deep space again. the trajectory would be randomized so on rare events it could collide with a planet (like Jool because of its huge SOI) or if it passed too close to Kerbol it could break apart or something.

Squad has plans for inter-planetary flight, and the Sun's SoI is huuuuge. It may be that in future an actual comet or two, without the spawn-despawn kludge, would be possible (making a realistic comet, with a tail that is created by the Sun's radiation, and diminishes-to-disappears at a certain distance would probably be possible, but likely require some hard-coded stuff from Squad). And in any case, eventually we should be able to add our own planets and thingamabobs, so...yeah. Even asteroids might be possible (actually, I'm fairly certain they want to add those too).

Id like some sort of asteroid belt.

Well if the engine has issues with lots of bodies like that at least I would love some anologues for Ceres, Pallas, Juno, Hygiea, and Vesta. There could be some fun to be had with certain crater formations.

I would like to see a planet/body like in the novel the integral trees by Larry Niven. Basically would be like giant floating trees with gravitational pulls (actually tidal forces) pulling on the ends. The trees are shaped like the integral symbol, and have tufts at the very ends. Another take on this idea would also be interesting, but I thought I would throw this out there.

it would be great to explore,mine and escape star destroyers

Russel's teapot. Also, rather than have the Kraken dead on Bop (due to the surface glitch, one of my kerbalnauts are smeared across the universe), have the Kraken's corpse orbit somewhere (like in a polar orbit around the sun with a high eccentricity and the periapsis closer to the sun than Moho and over the north/south pole). Also, maybe have a planet that comprises a thin shell hovering over a gas giant (though eclipses would need to be implemented)

Because that wiki is:

1. Fan-edited

2. Out of date

Fans or not, the wiki article on "universe" lists 86 scientific sources, and it is doubtful that most of those are out of date.

Perhaps more interestingly the article also says "definitions and usage vary" and mentions "multiverse hypotheses" - both of which conflict with the definitions "all existing matter and space considered as a whole" and "totality of existence".