When Kerbals have kids I do not want it to take 2 years for them to grow up, I want it to take the appropriate amount of time for them to grow up, 18 years at the least.

I know they are not humans however there is a reason that the bigger a creature is the more time it takes more time to grow up.

Look, having 2 year old workers is just wrong in my opinion.

I have a pretty strong feeling that kind of thing will be abstracted away. Your colony will have a population of X, and from that pool you can pull a pilot or two or whatever from it. You won't be able to say "I want the guy who grew up in apartment 7B in block 8, his high school scores looked like he'd be a great engineer"

1 hour ago, Newgame space program said:

When Kerbals have kids I do not want it to take 2 years for them to grow up, I want it to take the appropriate amount of time for them to grow up, 18 years at the least.

I know they are not humans however there is a reason that the bigger a creature is the more time it takes more time to grow up.

This is one of those areas where what is realistic (in human terms) and what is fun in a game diverge a bit. Given transfer window timings a player could reasonably have a few major colonies up and running at Jool or Duna in 10-15 years in-game. Unless we’re expected to deliver all kerbals from Kerbin, which would rather defeat the point of colony growth, you’d essentially be playing with a handful of initial colonists and dozens of their useless offspring decades later. It just doesn’t work in terms of gameplay. The nice thing is kerbals are cartoon green men and there’s nothing to say what their life cycle is. From a pure gameplay position Id be fine if kerblings grew to adulthood in a few months even. 

17 hours ago, Newgame space program said:

This post points out a major split in what kind of game KSP2 aspires to be in different peoples minds.  Rocket engineering and orbital mechanics vs a resource management game.  Of course there is a lot of overlap as the first could sort of be seen as subset of the second with regards to fuel and time, but anyone who has played games will know what I'm talking about.  I don't think KSP2 should put too much effort into turning it into high resolution resource management game, but colonies are a great plot twist so some resource management, ala Sim City, seems like a good thing. 

Maybe a slider in the settings that allows a player to adjust how gritty the resource management is would be a good idea.  At minimum you have basic ISRU for fuel and at maximum you have babies, nurseries, life support, academies, cross-training, resource pipelines and rail systems connecting ground sites, etc.

Edited by darthgently