KSP crashes after it finishes loading

Whenever I start ksp it will load like normal until the bar reaches the end. Then it freezes and crashes with no error or anything. I have a feeling this might be caused by kopernicus or galaxies unbound but thats just a hunch. Only reason I say that is because ive never used a planet pack before and ksp has worked almost flawlessly for me before. Ive triad manually installing a few mods that I thought might have been the issue but that didnt help at all. 

KSP log 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2wa19gb0e9sd0f/KSP.log?dl=0

No errors in that log file, try uploading the more detailed Player.log instead: 

I did notice that you're putting mods in the Steam copy of KSP, which always seems to go wrong and cause mysterious crashes. I suggest you try the following and see if the issue is fixed:

1.       Right click KSP in Steam library > browse local files.

2.       Copy KSP/saves/<your save name> and paste that on the desktop.

3.       If you used CKAN to install your mods (and you should!), click File > export modpack and save that to your desktop too. Screenshot your GameData folder with mods installed (even if you use CKAN) so you can check that you’ve reinstalled them all later.

4.       Uninstall all mods from KSP.

5.       Right click KSP in Steam library > properties, disable Steam cloud.

6.       Completely uninstall KSP through Steam.

7.       Reinstall KSP through Steam, right click > Properties > local files > verify integrity of game files. If you want to play a version other than the current release (1.12.3), pick that version in the Betas tab and verify the files once Steam has installed that version.

8.       Run KSP and make sure it loads properly without mods.

9.       Browse local files again, then go up one level (to Steam/steamapps/common) and copy the Kerbal Space Program directory, then paste it where you want to keep it- make sure it’s outside Steam’s folders so it can’t meddle with it in future.

10.   Rename the KSP folder so you know what mods you’re using in it (e.g. 1.10.1 RO/RP-1, 1.12.3 JNSQ), then add this new copy to CKAN and use the modpack created in step 3 to reinstall all your mods; or reinstall them by hand if you don’t use CKAN. Double-check that all files and folders you had in GameData before uninstalling/reinstalling everything are there again, if not then you’re probably missing some mods.

11.   Move your saves from your desktop into your new KSP copy’s saves folder, run KSP, load save. A warning about vessels having missing parts is usually because a mod is missing or wasn’t installed correctly.

You can make as many copies of KSP as you want, have several copies on different versions and with different sets of mods in each- CKAN makes this much easier to keep track of, but it’s still possible to do it all yourself.

Your log file indicates an access violation due to tying to write to an invalid location.  At the very bottom of the log file is the output for the stack trace, and at the bottom of that is a location for the crash file.  Please check that and upload that as well.

It should be noted that someone else here recently had the same issue; you can check their thread to see if what they did helps you.

Well I tried what @jimmymcgoochie suggested and I was able to start the game normally without mods away from steam. I added in GU (needs to be done manually) and it loaded fine so I dont think its kopernicus. Then i added the most of my other mods via CKAN and it loads fine now. Just takes a while. Now when I make a new save it crashes. Ill try what fixed it for the other guy but considering I loaded in fine now I think its a different issue.  (how do I increase virtual memory? I thought if I ran ksp 64x it runs it with however much it needs)

Here is my new Player.log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2xq9e8l67zaowf/Player.log?dl=0

And my crash log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bevbhn2fjk8lcx5/error.log?dl=0

Sorry if thats the wrong file again but there was 3 different files in the latest crash folder.  Another player.log and a crash.dmp. 

EDIT:

Deleted those CFG files and had steam redownload them but settings.cfg doesnt reappear after verifying steam files. The game also crashes right after its done loading again. Great

Edited by cactuscrazez

On 2/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, cactuscrazez said:

Well I tried what @jimmymcgoochie suggested and I was able to start the game normally without mods away from steam. I added in GU (needs to be done manually) and it loaded fine so I dont think its kopernicus. Then i added the most of my other mods via CKAN and it loads fine now. Just takes a while. Now when I make a new save it crashes. Ill try what fixed it for the other guy but considering I loaded in fine now I think its a different issue.  (how do I increase virtual memory? I thought if I ran ksp 64x it runs it with however much it needs)

Here is my new Player.log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2xq9e8l67zaowf/Player.log?dl=0

And my crash log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bevbhn2fjk8lcx5/error.log?dl=0

Sorry if thats the wrong file again but there was 3 different files in the latest crash folder.  Another player.log and a crash.dmp. 

EDIT:

Deleted those CFG files and had steam redownload them but settings.cfg doesnt reappear after verifying steam files. The game also crashes right after its done loading again. Great

The settings.CFG will re-populate when you get the game to launch and you go into settings, when you get your settings the way you want them and save, that is when that file appears.

it does appear that you are having the same issue I was having, I need to edit my thread as I was able to narrow down even further what it was that fixed it, it was the virtual memory

Increasing Virtual Memory in Windows 10 

• Go to the Start Menu and click on Settings.
  • Type performance.
  • Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change.
  • At the bottom of the new window, check what the Recommended value is and how it compares to Currently allocated.
  • If the current setting is significantly less than the recommended, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box at the top of the same windows and then click on Custom size.
  • Enter the Recommended value in the Initial Size box, and a larger figure in the Maximum size box.
  • Click OK to save the new settings.

I changed mine to 16,000 and this fixed the issues, I have not had anymore issues with ksp after doing this, I have a bunch of mods installed now and it runs great.

Edited by Dirt Diver

11 hours ago, Dirt Diver said:

The settings.CFG will re-populate when you get the game to launch and you go into settings, when you get your settings the way you want them and save, that is when that file appears.

it does appear that you are having the same issue I was having, I need to edit my thread as I was able to narrow down even further what it was that fixed it, it was the virtual memory

Increasing Virtual Memory in Windows 10 

• Go to the Start Menu and click on Settings.
  • Type performance.
  • Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change.
  • At the bottom of the new window, check what the Recommended value is and how it compares to Currently allocated.
  • If the current setting is significantly less than the recommended, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box at the top of the same windows and then click on Custom size.
  • Enter the Recommended value in the Initial Size box, and a larger figure in the Maximum size box.
  • Click OK to save the new settings.

I changed mine to 16,000 and this fixed the issues, I have not had anymore issues with ksp after doing this, I have a bunch of mods installed now and it runs great.

Thanks for the very detailed answer! However it looks like the currently allocated value is actually much higher then  the reccomended value. It was also set to custom when I opened it. Does this need to be done on the drive ksp is on? It was only set on my C: drive. My other two have the setting "No paging file" I would try messing with it on my own but I have no idea what these settings do and I dont want to mess something up. I would really like to get to the bottom of this. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.