SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Explorer one, at the moment a station until I figure out what more to dock and where to send it.

[table=width: 1000]

[tr]

[td]6Mdl1aE.pngFirst version of Explorer one, had to make small design changes[/td]

[td]YYGkqVV.jpgShip with the crew[/td]

[td]Ixn9nXH.jpgPassengers[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Z0256zc.jpgDocking[/td]

[td]Lzky7wu.pngDocking IVA[/td]

[td]9sEaENY.jpgNot everyone could fit.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

1C5LXID.jpg

Ready for deep space

Edited by Cuel

This was my first station I ever successfully constructed back in 0.18.2:

Skyhome

VCTIMSQ.png

4 tanks oriented in a cross that provided excellent stability.

Here is it during full operations, one of the tanks gets sent to the Mun to be refilled by a kethane mining operation. For a little while, my space program needed no more launches for regular operations on the mun.

Nw3Nrml.png

And Here is my mun station, called Munhome. It was one long line of modules, which made it very prone to wobble.

PKdQnYd.png

Click the image to go to my imgur gallery:

ULP8zCr.png

I've just installed a new crew escape system (visible at the bottom of this image) that will allow 24 lucky Kerbals to return safely to Kerbin in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, the station currently houses 40 Kerbals so there will be some casualties should this thing happen to deorbit emoticon-00130-devil.png. I'd love to put another CES up but this thing is causing some serious lag. There must be about 1500 parts docked together now. This is still running in 0.19 as I haven't got around to installing all of the mods necessary to load this in 0.20.

Edited by Narcosis

ULP8zCr.png

I've just installed a new crew escape system (visible at the bootom of this image) that will allow 24 lucky Kerbals to return safely to Kerbin in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, the station currently houses 40 Kerbals so there will be some casualties should this thing happen to deorbit emoticon-00130-devil.png. I'd love to put another CES up but this thing is causing some serious lag. There must be about 1500 parts docked together now. This is still running in 0.19 as I haven't got around to installing all of the mods necessary to load this in 0.20.

Yikes, that thing'd cook my comp... good work! and about the CES and not having enough room for everyone.. well, your 'nauts knew what they were signing up for.

Just a question about the station; what are those two structures extending off the main body for? Some sorta shield? hanger?

Just a question about the station; what are those two structures extending off the main body for? Some sorta shield? hanger?

9LoxEHBl.jpg

You mean the docks pictured here with the tugs inside them?

They were meant to be something similar to the drydocks from Star Trek such as the one below, though they should really be called wetdocks (or vacdocks?) since naval drydocks take the ship out of its normal medium and place it in an environment where we can access it easily, but these just provide a secure mooring and good lighting. I was considering putting some Canadarms on them at some point in the future for refitting craft in orbit.

x773GZ5l.jpg

Edited by Narcosis

9LoxEHBl.jpg

You mean the docks pictured here with the tugs inside them?

They were meant to be something similar to the drydocks from Star Trek such as the one below, though they should really be called wetdocks (or vacdocks?) since naval drydocks take the ship out of its normal medium and place it in an environment where we can access it easily, but these just provide a secure mooring and good lighting. I was considering putting some Canadarms on them at some point in the future for refitting craft in orbit.

x773GZ5l.jpg

I THOUGHT it was something like that but I wasn't positive.... Great minds think alike no? And I'd call them "Space Yard" rather than "Vacdock" myself....

S.S. DPTL CO INT. SPACE STATION:

For 28 kerbals. That's the power of kerbal Engineering

Lolzer. That, sir, is what we call "failure to verify" in that you failed to verify that you succeeded in posting a pic.

ULP8zCr.png

I've just installed a new crew escape system (visible at the bottom of this image) that will allow 24 lucky Kerbals to return safely to Kerbin in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, the station currently houses 40 Kerbals so there will be some casualties should this thing happen to deorbit emoticon-00130-devil.png. I'd love to put another CES up but this thing is causing some serious lag. There must be about 1500 parts docked together now. This is still running in 0.19 as I haven't got around to installing all of the mods necessary to load this in 0.20.

That thing is fantastic and inspiring! I'm going to have to see if I can build something like that with stock parts now. Only problem I really forsee is struts aren't long enough to connect dock ends together at the scale I need.

One thing you might consider for escape is redesigning your crew modules to decouple independently, then just attach a couple parachutes, a probe core (for hitchiker containers), a round RCS tank and a linear RCS thruster to each. Then the crew modules can act as an escape vessel on their own (although, probably at the cost of destroying your station if you use them to tie the thing together) I did a similar thing with my Ambition-class frigate, adding 3 escape pods for the foreward crew module, but making the main crew module ejectable (unfortunately, it needed more reinforcement or better parachute attachment, but that's another issue). It has enough RCS to de-orbit on its own, but it's more spectacular to eject during re-entry.

2013_05_24_00029.jpg

2013_05_24_00031.jpg

2013_05_24_00034.jpg

2013_05_24_00036.jpg

2013_05_24_00044.jpg

That thing is fantastic and inspiring! I'm going to have to see if I can build something like that with stock parts now. Only problem I really forsee is struts aren't long enough to connect dock ends together at the scale I need.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :D

One thing you might consider for escape is redesigning your crew modules to decouple independently, then just attach a couple parachutes, a probe core (for hitchiker containers), a round RCS tank and a linear RCS thruster to each. Then the crew modules can act as an escape vessel on their own.

That would be a good idea. Most of my modules already have their own balanced reaction control system so I'd only need to add chutes, though I think this would work better with smaller individual modules docked together. If I just slapped parachutes on those modules pictured, I don't think they would survive lithobraking. This was originally designed as a Munar station, and one of the tugs pictured actually dragged a smaller variant called Xaio Bai Tu (Little White Rabbit) into Munar orbit. Adding parachutes to that would have been pointless. Because I used the existing design for my LKO station, the CES was a simple bolt-on modification that made it a little safer for my Kerbals.

Tqg1ZCwl.jpg 5cL60LYl.jpg

Edited by Narcosis

Here's mine; Halfway Station. It's small, as my Mac runs this game little better than a toaster, but it's cute, it does its job, and it does it well. The module with the four nuclear engines is a modular tug, meant to carry equipment to and from the muns of Kerbin. It doesn't even hold a candle to the monstrosities other posters have shown here, but I like it all the same.

nU1UxTA.png

The result of five launches; A station (and its booster, near-empty from refuelling visiting craft), a modular tug, the tug's crew module, a small RCS tug, and a crew transfer vehicle.

Here's mine; Halfway Station. It's small, as my Mac runs this game little better than a toaster, but it's cute, it does its job, and it does it well. The module with the four nuclear engines is a modular tug, meant to carry equipment to and from the muns of Kerbin. It doesn't even hold a candle to the monstrosities other posters have shown here, but I like it all the same.

snip

The result of five launches; A station (and its booster, near-empty from refuelling visiting craft), a modular tug, the tug's crew module, a small RCS tug, and a crew transfer vehicle.

That's pretty functional. I know people like huge things, and I've been the first to try them, but after a while you just want a decent fuel depot with some crew space and enough docking ports that doesn't turn each rendezvous into an hour long lag fest and is actually useful. Good job!

Rune. I guess with 0.20 it's time to update my station kit. Work is piling! :)

I have something pretty massive in the works right now, but the plan is to design it from the ground up to be as light as possible on part count and structural nodes, so hopefully it will be usable in orbit.

I just plan to use a lot of really BIG and HEAVY parts. Thanks to the new docking ports, I should be able to join bigger things now without introducing a lot of smaller things into trying to hold them together. will see.

So I did finish what I had been working on. The part count is below 1000, but still higher than I was aiming for... that said, I can knock it down by 1/3 just by removing one of the two drydocks, which cuts the lag in half. It launches in 28 pieces (though some pieces are light enough to be launched 2 or 4 at a time) and supports a maximum crew of 134 (no more than 56 should be permanently stationed here, however, as this is the maximum capacity the station is capable of returning to kerbin without a shuttle in an emergency) It carries enough fuel to serve as a one-stop refit and resupply station for the entire fleet, and can fit a cruiser in each drydock, probably even my heavy carriers (though the unimaginable lagfest that would ensue from THAT would probably cause kerbin to collapse into a singulagrity.)

It weighs in at 370 tons dry, 837 tons including its fuel reserves, and is 100% stock.

I quicksave every time I want to so much as nudge it back to the normal, because the slightest movement makes the crew modules and power masts thrash like gallopin' gertie (though it has yet to shake itself apart, it's nerve-wracking as hell)

I plan to launch and assemble one of these with only one of the hangars and use it to assemble, refit, and store modular components of the new interplanetary omni-lander I'm planning. Basically it never has to land on Kerbin once in space, gets refueled and modules swapped out as necessary for different missions, so I can upgrade it without ever re-launching. The dock includes enough clamp ports to hold on to modules not in use, and station a set of tugs and assemblers as well.

images follow.

2013_05_28_00004.jpg

2013_05_28_00005.jpg

2013_05_28_00006.jpg

2013_05_28_00007.jpg

2013_05_28_00008.jpg

2013_05_28_00010.jpg

2013_05_28_00011.jpg

2013_05_28_00012.jpg

2013_05_28_00013.jpg

2013_05_28_00014.jpg

2013_05_28_00015.jpg

2013_05_28_00016.jpg

2013_05_28_00018.jpg

2013_05_28_00023.jpg

2013_05_28_00024.jpg

2013_05_28_00027.jpg

I am beginning to build a new Space Station to replace the one that was destroyed in the update. But I need a name so how about I hear y'all suggestions. Only rule is it has to be Biblical. I ll pick the one I like the most as soon as its built.

I am beginning to build a new Space Station to replace the one that was destroyed in the update. But I need a name so how about I hear y'all suggestions. Only rule is it has to be Biblical. I ll pick the one I like the most as soon as its built.

How about "Ezekiel"? Seems appropriate. :)

So I did finish what I had been working on. The part count is below 1000, but still higher than I was aiming for... that said, I can knock it down by 1/3 just by removing one of the two drydocks, which cuts the lag in half. It launches in 28 pieces (though some pieces are light enough to be launched 2 or 4 at a time) and supports a maximum crew of 134 (no more than 56 should be permanently stationed here, however, as this is the maximum capacity the station is capable of returning to kerbin without a shuttle in an emergency) It carries enough fuel to serve as a one-stop refit and resupply station for the entire fleet, and can fit a cruiser in each drydock, probably even my heavy carriers (though the unimaginable lagfest that would ensue from THAT would probably cause kerbin to collapse into a singulagrity.

That is... Um? Impressive. How much time do you have?

just gonna drop some of my pictures here for you guys. I'm still on 0.19 though:

A small spaceport for most of my SSTO's to refill:

vXJOOfs.jpg

I wanted it on my Spacestation first but it doesn't fit the design and would lag like hell.

Here is my station in LKO:

WrAMAI5.jpg

wFZzBX8.jpg

p19lozL.jpg

Gonna start with a new one in 0.20 today, allready got some great designs in mind ;)