[.19 PARTS] JebCorp M-209 SPHERE ball probe system

dishycourier

I'm a little slow. It just dawned on me that these guys will take 1mm fuel tanks.

With these tanks and landing gear they can still go to most of the planets and moons.

Edited by Tommygun

Yup. I split the sphere at the center, so it should be 1m. You're lucky I wasn't paying attention -- it was supposed to be .5m. You'd have to strap it to the micro SRB.

I have a set of triangle trusses I was playing with. It's sturdy enough to have the truss extend the middle and put a payload on it. Hrmmmmm...... Can't do much with it until Friday though.

Sooooo, out of curiosity, I just did a test. I launched the Sphere (and only the sphere, no other parts or stages) and it made it to orbit, transited to the Mün, landed on the Mün, took off again, transited BACK to Kerbin, landed at the KSC, and took off again and made it to stable (if slightly elliptical) orbit.

You might want to adjust the fuel capacity or something down a notch :D

Sooooo, out of curiosity, I just did a test. I launched the Sphere (and only the sphere, no other parts or stages) and it made it to orbit, transited to the Mün, landed on the Mün, took off again, transited BACK to Kerbin, landed at the KSC, and took off again and made it to stable (if slightly elliptical) orbit.

You might want to adjust the fuel capacity or something down a notch :D

I don't disagree.

But you just downloaded it and tested it for me though, right? :-D

Future versions get TWR and fuel consumption changed. Trying to work out isp numbers as well.

Had a thought about the stock landing leg if you could turn that into a shock absorbing balloon. You would need to incorporate the landing leg module specs for the balloon model.

For what I have experimented the stock landing leg, it can take impact speeds almost 200m/s even with it's low impact resistance value.

Edited by Aletus

with the small exception of the center of mass (which disallows me from actually rolling it as a form of exploring/moving on the planet) i am having fun with his

Trying to fix this. Although I haven't mentioned it, it's a HUGE annoyance to me.

I discovered that you can overlap the fuel tank with different other ones. I overlaped 9 tanks then used the tex engine and could travel to any planet except jool and moho. (it lands on water too)

I thought i would share it with you friends.

I managed to fix thcenter of mass problem

you need to redo the weights so that the central pod weighs 0.17

and the science module is 0.1

hope that helped

I'll take a look. This significantly increases the weight of the system. I'll have to rebalance the engine.

I wanted to keep the whole thing low weight so the engine would be useless to anything else.

I'll take a look. This significantly increases the weight of the system. I'll have to rebalance the engine.

I wanted to keep the whole thing low weight so the engine would be useless to anything else.

well, the important thing is is to keep both halves equal in weight

• 6 months later...

Fixed some things. Updated description. I updated only hours before the site madness. I broke KSP ;) Link is up on KSPort: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/jebcorp-model-209-sphere-ball-probe/

Also, local couch-surfing-eats-all-my-food roommate and ksp test dummy"Sixteenbit" will be taking over development of things I don't have done. It's too bad. I had a lot of REALLY fun parts that worked... two versions ago...

I'm contemplating releasing some of it as is (some are updated to .19) like the nuclear generator, some fuel tanks, monoprop tanks.

I can't get the ion engines to work anymore though. Still investigating that. Either way, it'll be up to Sixteenbit to do it.

Edited by dishycourier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.