[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

21 hours ago, BillNyeTheIE said:

BDA weapons are generally made with stock aerodynamics and stock engagement ranges in mind, they're also made with gameplay rather than realism as the focus. The main thing that makes the missiles in particular unrealistic is the lack of fuel burn (which is a feature of the mod now) and the ridiculously powerful motors.

Makes a lot of sense! I've got no problems with the way they're balanced as is in the stock mod, I just wanted to try my hand at adjusting the parameters to make something more realistic for use with FAR and such.

21 hours ago, BillNyeTheIE said:

Also, all the missiles use "aam" guidance rather than "pronav" which leads to it being a lot easier to defeat them, swaping them over to "pronav" and fixing the tuning on them (they'll generally need lower maxTorques and steerMults) will go a long way to improving their "realism".

Yeah something I noticed while testing was that if I reduced only the thrust, it severely hurt their ability to maneuver as they would not lead very much until it was too late. I will try testing out pronav, I was using aam this whole time.  Few more questions related to that and the documentation:

• You mentioned steerMult is analogous to the P term in a PID, does the pronavGain term work similarly? And are there terms analogous to the integral and derivative terms?
  • Does aamLoft work similarly to aam + the ability to loft? If so, could I use pronav and just set lofting parameters if I wanted to make a loftable missile?
  • Where is the ingame editor you mentioned for adjusting guidance parameters haha (I have advanced tweakables on)

Thanks for answering my other questions, it was very helpful :)

8 hours ago, BrawlerAce said:

Makes a lot of sense! I've got no problems with the way they're balanced as is in the stock mod, I just wanted to try my hand at adjusting the parameters to make something more realistic for use with FAR and such.

Yeah something I noticed while testing was that if I reduced only the thrust, it severely hurt their ability to maneuver as they would not lead very much until it was too late. I will try testing out pronav, I was using aam this whole time.  Few more questions related to that and the documentation:

• You mentioned steerMult is analogous to the P term in a PID, does the pronavGain term work similarly? And are there terms analogous to the integral and derivative terms?
  • Does aamLoft work similarly to aam + the ability to loft? If so, could I use pronav and just set lofting parameters if I wanted to make a loftable missile?
  • Where is the ingame editor you mentioned for adjusting guidance parameters haha (I have advanced tweakables on)

Thanks for answering my other questions, it was very helpful :)

For the first question, I'll refer you to this series which I've posted previously:

Long story short though, yes and no, "pronavGain" being set higher results in a more predictive missile, ensuring it's on an intercept course as fast as it can. This is advantageous in that for a predictable target, the energy cost to the missile is reduced, however, for an unpredictable maneuvering target this can be worse as the missile makes very early large adjustments which bleeds off velocity, resulting in an inability to achieve catch. There are no analogous integral and derivative terms for pronav, however there is "aeroSteerDamping" which is a derivative term for the missile, I.E. P = steerMult, D = aeroSteerDamping. In my experience I don't usually need to use it however, good selection of steerMult and maxTorque is typically sufficient.

For the second question, as per the documentation on the wiki, there is the "terminalHomingType" field which allows you to select the type of guidance you want as terminal behavior. This defaults to pronav when not specified as aam wasn't achieving very good PK with aamloft. We also do have "hybrid" homing types, which also make use of "terminalHomingType" and allows you to have a boost/cruise phase guidance law and a terminal guidance law.

For the third question, it's in the part right click menu, if the missile has "homingType = aamloft" the sliders should show up, with Advanced Tweakables on like you have it you should be able see all of the trajectory parameters.

8 hours ago, TBCN said:

I cant find new modular missile controlls like terminal guidence or loft option

Yeah, apologies for that but currently modular missiles don't have support for some of the new features yet.

2 hours ago, BillNyeTheIE said:

For the first question, I'll refer you to this series which I've posted previously:

Long story short though, yes and no, "pronavGain" being set higher results in a more predictive missile, ensuring it's on an intercept course as fast as it can. This is advantageous in that for a predictable target, the energy cost to the missile is reduced, however, for an unpredictable maneuvering target this can be worse as the missile makes very early large adjustments which bleeds off velocity, resulting in an inability to achieve catch. There are no analogous integral and derivative terms for pronav, however there is "aeroSteerDamping" which is a derivative term for the missile, I.E. P = steerMult, D = aeroSteerDamping. In my experience I don't usually need to use it however, good selection of steerMult and maxTorque is typically sufficient.

For the second question, as per the documentation on the wiki, there is the "terminalHomingType" field which allows you to select the type of guidance you want as terminal behavior. This defaults to pronav when not specified as aam wasn't achieving very good PK with aamloft. We also do have "hybrid" homing types, which also make use of "terminalHomingType" and allows you to have a boost/cruise phase guidance law and a terminal guidance law.

For the third question, it's in the part right click menu, if the missile has "homingType = aamloft" the sliders should show up, with Advanced Tweakables on like you have it you should be able see all of the trajectory parameters.

Yeah, apologies for that but currently modular missiles don't have support for some of the new features yet.

so bacically my bdarmory is at version 1.6.0 right now? cant find any new features from 1.6.2-4

21 hours ago, TBCN said:

so bacically my bdarmory is at version 1.6.0 right now? cant find any new features from 1.6.2-4

Not sure what you mean, are you using the latest BDArmory release? If you mean Modular Missiles, they're behind the regular missiles in terms of features because they're slightly different in terms of code and need code specifically written for them.

17 hours ago, TBCN said:

Also what is the difference between aam, argumented pro-nav and proportional navigation methods?

I explained it in this post 

2 hours ago, BillNyeTheIE said:

Not sure what you mean, are you using the latest BDArmory release? If you mean Modular Missiles, they're behind the regular missiles in terms of features because they're slightly different in terms of code and need code specifically written for them.

I explained it in this post 

I mean I dowloaded latest bdarmory 1.6.4 but cant find any new features regarding any missiles or even competition etc.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, mindbound said:

Does BDA+ have means for controlling the various weapons etc. systems from kOS or kRPC? TIA.

See the BakerOS script

It can do some BDArmory things with kOS

I have loft working on the missiles but terminal guidance, not.
I changed the config of the AGM86-17 to have terminalManeuvering = true but I dont see any changes.
Do I have to also put in the config terminal guidence distance and guidence type?

On 7/28/2023 at 6:36 AM, UndeadFirefly said:

Is it possible to make the AI fire missiles based on the maximum dynamic launch range instead of the max static launch range defined in the missile configuration?

They should have already been firing within the DLZ range, but there was a bug preventing this. It's now fixed in dev, so it'll be in the next release.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, tusyok said:

Hey, I'm sorry, are BD Modular Missle Parts compatible with BDA+?

Thank you.

Does anyone know how to make BD Modular Missile Parts and BDA+ work together? CKAN says they conflict and won't download both, but when I manually install BD modular missiles the parts don't show up in game... if anyone can help it would be really appreciated thanks

just saying thing because this happened with a few of this mods parts, but when deployed, the stock A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. have an issue with their hydraulic cylinders not showing up.

Edited by Kerbal410

i could have sworn that BDArmory had search and destroy contracts as part of the original mod, but it seems they have been removed? is there a way to re-add these missions to my game or any mods that would provide a similar experience? (i tried defense combat advisors but it was too linear and a bit janky)

• 2 weeks later...

Is an ICBM or artillery missile possible? Is there a way that I can make a part that has the module BDModuleNuke detonate when it hits the ground?  

I have it set up like the the basic dumb bomb .cfg's, plus the nuke module, but my craft hits the ground and the fx don't go off

9 hours ago, KAO said:

Is an ICBM or artillery missile possible? Is there a way that I can make a part that has the module BDModuleNuke detonate when it hits the ground?  

I have it set up like the the basic dumb bomb .cfg's, plus the nuke module, but my craft hits the ground and the fx don't go off

Nuclear warheads don't detonate unless they're primed to do so, which for missiles, happens when they're fired.

The only other use of the BDModuleNuke module currently implemented is as a nuclear core of an engine (engineCore = True in the config), in which case they should detonate when the part gets destroyed or 0.5s after getting detached from the part of the craft with the WM. However, during competitions if the part is actually an engine and it runs out of resources or is thurst limited (this was originally for a Runway Project round) then it will also detonate. It isn't intended to be used in other ways, so YMMV.

For firing a ballistic missile/artillery over such long ranges without using some sort of terminal guidance (GPS or otherwise using the new lofting logic), I think having line of sight in order to aim would be the main issue. Also, beyond 200km, floating point errors are going to be a significant problem, even with PRE enabled for such long ranges.

On 8/3/2023 at 8:48 PM, Oxygentlemen said:

i could have sworn that BDArmory had search and destroy contracts as part of the original mod, but it seems they have been removed? is there a way to re-add these missions to my game or any mods that would provide a similar experience? (i tried defense combat advisors but it was too linear and a bit janky)

I'm fairly sure that BDArmory never had contracts as part of the mod. Those were provided by other mods.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:13 AM, Kerbal410 said:

just saying thing because this happened with a few of this mods parts, but when deployed, the stock A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. have an issue with their hydraulic cylinders not showing up.

If you're referring to the issues with the hydraulic cylinders in the chaingun, hydra turret and patriot launcher models that got fixed in v1.5.0.0, then I believe that those were issues with the models themselves (IIRC). So, that'd be something that the KSP devs would have to fix in their model (or some modder could probably make a nice replacement part).

Edited by DocNappers

Does anyone know how to create new parts for BDA? I remember watching a vid a few months back but I cant find it now, essentially making a new part from scratch, making the 3d model, animation, texture, configuration, etc. I read the wiki and it doesnt help much apart from adding XY rotation translation for a turret.

(p.s: I know how to 3d model and only need to know how to integrate said animations into the bda config)

the part title in .cfg file for the AN/APG-77 snub radar appears twice in a row so in-game the name of the part reads title = #loc_BDArmory_part_bdRadome1snub_ground_title  //APG-77v1 air-to-ground Radar (Snub).

also, don't know if this is intentional, but the AN/APG-63 snub radar is also air-to-ground.

Edited by Kerbal410

On 8/17/2023 at 6:12 AM, DocNappers said:

The only other use of the BDModuleNuke module currently implemented is as a nuclear core of an engine (engineCore = True in the config), in which case they should detonate when the part gets destroyed.... It isn't intended to be used in other ways, so YMMV.

Some engineering can make it work, the KSP way :cool:

but I haven't been able to find an example of this implemented. Can you please point me to where you've seen this?

Another thing is, is there a way to modify the speed of the explosion FX? or does that depend on the explModelPath asset? It seems fast and the smoke abruptly disappears 

On 8/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, KAO said:

but I haven't been able to find an example of this implemented. Can you please point me to where you've seen this?

I don't think there are any parts with this configured as such, but we used it in the last runway project round (S5R10) where the BDModuleNuke module was added to the root part of every vessel at competition start (it was in space, so the thermal effects weren't anywhere near as bad as they are in atmosphere). It set the following, but otherwise used the defaults for the module.

nuke = (BDModuleNuke)pilot.vessel.rootPart.AddModule("BDModuleNuke");
nuke.engineCore = true;
nuke.meltDownDuration = 15;
nuke.thermalRadius = 200;

Default values are thermalRadius = 750yield = 0.05fluence = 0.05isEMP = False, engineCore = False, meltDownDuration = 2.5, plus the paths that you can see in the AIR-2 Genie part.cfg.

If engineCore is True, then it will detonate after the melt-down period during competitions under various conditions. Looking at those conditions in the code, if it's on the root part, then it'll detonate during competitions if the craft has no functioning engines (due to flameout or whatever); if it's on an engine then it'll detonate during competitions if that engine gets detached, turned off or not at 100% thrust despite not having taken damage (so battle damage doesn't trigger it); otherwise, if it's not on the root part and not on an engine, then it should only detonate when it gets destroyed.

So, you should be able to just add the BDModuleNuke module to whichever non-engine, non-root part you want with engineCore = True and it should detonate when it gets destroyed.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, KAO said:

Another thing is, is there a way to modify the speed of the explosion FX? or does that depend on the explModelPath asset? It seems fast and the smoke abruptly disappears 

The duration of the explosion FX for the nuke scales with the sqrt of the thermal radius, but I think the actual speed of FX is baked into the asset. @SuicidalInsanity could probably tell you, since he was the one that made it.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, Natso said:

Can I attack multiple targets at once?

With turrets and missiles, sure. There are settings for that in the weapon manager: "Max Turret Tgts", "Max Missile Tgts" and "Missiles/Target".