kerbal space program test mk16 parachute

I've been trying to complete the kerbal space program test mk16 parachute contract and I am staging it when all the check marks are green. When the parachute is activated, the speed task is unchecked because the craft's speed is reduced by the chute fully activating, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  

Those missions are so finicky that the only test contracts I accept are "on the pad" or "splashed down." If you turn off the option to lose a rep point for declining contracts, you can just keep refusing them until you get the easier ones. 

I've completed a few of these. My advice is to throw caution to the wind (heh). Try editing the parachute parameters such that it activates as soon as you stage it, regardless of safety. I recommend using a probe core instead of a kerbal, though, as it sounds like the requirements of this contract are going to leave them in a death spiral, unless you add secondary parachutes to land safely after the test. Best of luck. :)

19 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

If you turn off the option to lose a rep point for declining contracts, you can just keep refusing them until you get the easier ones.

Well that’s handy!  I didn’t know that was an option, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.