The Docking Thread

Papa_Joe

This is a thread about docking.

There have been many threads that have been hijacked by the "docking" word. There has been a fair bit of flame, in both directions. Since those of us that are VERY excited about docking do not really have a voice in the other forums, I decided we needed on here.

Rules:

- This is NOT a rant thread. Docking will be implemented when Squad is ready.

- No Trolling. We all know that docking is not here, is partially implemented by modders and that not everyone wants docking as bad as many of us want it.

- you can talk about anything docking. History, mods, desires, possible implementations, experiences, etc are all encouraged.

Personally, docking will be the "holy grail" of the game. It makes a space program "real" to me. I watched the Friendship, Gemini and Apollo missions in real time.

Edited by Papa_Joe

If you want to talk about this Papa_Joe, you can do so in Off-Topic, this subject is old, done to death and wont achieve much, everyone knows docking is a planned feature eventually and that a few docking mods now exist.

Moving thread :)

For me right now, the only reason I would like docking is so I don't have to haul my return stage to the surface of whatever body I am landing on. I find that to be kind of cumbersome and it kills some of the immersion for me. Also, if docking would take forever for me to do, I think i wouldn't really use it. So some kind of guidance computer or assistance I think will be welcomed.

I hope that docking will have the option of doing it totally by hand, maybe with a targeting reticle with distance markings etched into the glass but nothing more fancy than that.

I like the challenge of orbital rendezvous but I know not everyone likes that, so as long as the computer (if there is one) can be turned off I'll be happy :)

I hope that docking will have the option of doing it totally by hand, maybe with a targeting reticle with distance markings etched into the glass but nothing more fancy than that.

I like the challenge of orbital rendezvous but I know not everyone likes that, so as long as the computer (if there is one) can be turned off I'll be happy :)

Actually, I never considered this until now, but with the advent of IVA's that adds a whole new layer to docking. Imagine actually having to look at a CCTV cam or out a docking window or something.

I am totally imaging it just like this video, watch the view in the top left hand corner.

I just want docking. Just docking. That combined with being able to change staging during flight will make things awesome for interplanetary operations (which I'm not really keen about thus far, because of the decided limitations that come with a lack of docking).

It is currently possible to do an interplanetary round trip mission with the current implementation of docking.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/22571-Two-Vessel-Mission-into-Duna-and-back%21

That's not docking. There is no current implementation of docking, unless you are using the mods. What he did was just rendezvous in orbit and then he EVA'd the crew between ships. It's fairly common, I myself have done it several times in munar orbit pre .17 to practice for interplanetary missions. He had to fly both ships all the way there, as opposed to docking together and flying 1 ship there.

Edit: You linked to the thread, where I read the first post and dismissed the whole thing. I read further and I saw your mission, and yes, that's pretty cool. I have yet to play with the docking mods, mostly because everyone says they cause issues with timewarping. For future reference, each post has a number in the top right corner. You can right-click and copy the link, or left click and open the post directly and cut and paste the link. That way when you post the link to the thread it will take you directly to the post you are referring to. :)

Edited by Ziff

Think Apollo 13, and their entry interface burn.... ya, I want to be able to "do it the hard way".

I've not messed with any of the docking mods, are they "worth looking into?

I'm really thinking of mun type missions where you have a lander and a command vessel. I certainly can do the "Kerbal shuffle" to xfer to the lander and back, but I really am looking forward to actually being able to hear that "thunk" of the seal....

*capture*

*Roger. Good seal*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.