Educational Licensing?

I actually got into KSP because I was asked to run a program at our library with high school kids using the Kerbal Space Program.  At the time, we had educational licenses from Teacher Gaming.  Unfortunately, they have gone out of business.  We did manage to get them working again, and for a time we were running a Wednesday evening Kerbal Club for young adults.  I think we currently have about 30 licenses, but I'll need to check.

It would be great to do this with KSP2.

So, for a public library or educational institution, has there been any thought about providing education discounts?  Is there an Intercept person who might have some thoughts on this?   

Thanks so much.

Hello! 

KerbalEDU is still going, so if you ever need help please reach out to our Private Division support team! 

As for KSP2, we are considering the possibility of an educational program, but it would not be until well after 1.0 launch. 

2 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

Hello! 

KerbalEDU is still going, so if you ever need help please reach out to our Private Division support team! 

As for KSP2, we are considering the possibility of an educational program, but it would not be until well after 1.0 launch. 

Thanks for the response :-)

To be honest, I don't think Kerbal EDU worked that well, and it was never updated to keep pace with the regular game.  When Teacher Gaming folded, we had no way of keeping our licenses active (since they required talking to a defunct server, as I understand it) so we simply purchased new licences of the regular game. That was better anyway, because we could include the DLC.

So, I don't think a dedicated EDU version is necessarily the way to go. But, having an educational licence discount would be wonderful.

17 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Thanks for the response :-)

To be honest, I don't think Kerbal EDU worked that well, and it was never updated to keep pace with the regular game.  When Teacher Gaming folded, we had no way of keeping our licenses active (since they required talking to a defunct server, as I understand it) so we simply purchased new licences of the regular game. That was better anyway, because we could include the DLC.

So, I don't think a dedicated EDU version is necessarily the way to go. But, having an educational licence discount would be wonderful.

While my first thought was to wonder if the defunct server could be spoofed in some way, a quick bit of research shows that Private Division themselves was to have been transferred the license authority; assuming that's been done by now the old licenses probably just have to be pointed to the proper PD server instead of the old TeacherGaming one. While the use of individual licenses certainly serves your needs, many businesses prohibit the use of individual licenses by incorporated organizations, and while I have no idea one way or the other if Private Division is among them, or the status of Kerbal Space Program specifically, you probably don't want to be blindsided by a Cease-and-Desist order.

6 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

While my first thought was to wonder if the defunct server could be spoofed in some way, a quick bit of research shows that Private Division themselves was to have been transferred the license authority; assuming that's been done by now the old licenses probably just have to be pointed to the proper PD server instead of the old TeacherGaming one. While the use of individual licenses certainly serves your needs, many businesses prohibit the use of individual licenses by incorporated organizations, and while I have no idea one way or the other if Private Division is among them, or the status of Kerbal Space Program specifically, you probably don't want to be blindsided by a Cease-and-Desist order.

The licences are fine. We sorted it out with a rep from Private Division. I did not feel it necessary to go into that kind of detail.