[0.17] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau

Normak

On the angara pack, The nuclear engine and another engine when placed in vab or on launchpad, it looks like its activated, even tho its not.

I have the same bug, but it seem you don't use the modified plugin. (Come whit the pack) this plugin make the engine deployable, its very usefull for the... The... I think it's the "high orbit and escape tragectory", I don't remember the name.

I've never used Kosmos before but I've seen awesome pictures of it, as it seems that you're coming out with a stations pack I'm just wondering if you'll make it in such a way that kerbals can actually be inside the space station parts other than the pods.

Meanwile I'm downloading the other packs

Hey i found a problem with the gimballed version of the engines, "gimbalRange" is misspelled in the part.cfg. This makes the game use the default value of 2.5 instead of 0.5.

This explain all the complaints about the rocket going left or right or being uncontrollable, which i was experiencing too with mechjeb on.

I love how detailed these parts are now, the angara tanks are awesome :D im also loving the LK lander too however im yet to build something that can get it to orbit (even though the lander can almost do it itself, which is also mega awesome). when these station pieces and the rest of the angara get here im going to be in a whole mess of kosmos craft... so much I wont even know what to do with them

Edited by Pleborian

Hey i found a problem with the gimballed version of the engines, "gimbalRange" is misspelled in the part.cfg. This makes the game use the default value of 2.5 instead of 0.5.

This explain all the complaints about the rocket going left or right or being uncontrollable, which i was experiencing too with mechjeb on.

I can confirm this (snip from RD 191 Vectored):

// --- liquid engine parameters ---

maxThrust = 1200
minThrust = 0
heatProduction = 300
Isp = 200
vacIsp = 275

ThermalAnim = Emissive

thrustVectoringCapable = true
gymbalRange = 0.5

Successfully launched, and orbited lander from Duna. Rendezvoused with Interplanetary Recovery ship the KSS 'Ride Home' and transfered crew. I wish I had orda when O launched the lander. would have just docked lol. but now I will launch and dock landers to departure and return stages from now on.

screenshot123.png

Everything looks excellent, guys! Great work.

However, I'm having trouble building a rocket capable of achieving orbit. Before I dove head-on into interplanetary crafts, I wanted to make a rocket that was able go to the Mun/Minmus and back. For simplicity's sake, I just used to same design that I used in the v0.15 version of Kosmos:

mzWii.png

From top to bottom:

1) Large LK lander

2) Transfer stage: small 2.5m tank with the R-1024 engine

3) Core stage: large 2m tank with a gimbling R-191 engine

4) 3 Boosters: small 2m tanks with non-gimbling R-191 engines

(For the decouplers and fairings, I just rescaled the ones from the v0.15 pack.)

Time to launch it.

1zHsD.png

BZVXR.jpg

Everything's without a hitch, until at around 7km up...

pxr4n.png

bDA8d.png

[spoiler=Complete loss of control :(]m1mJD.png

Heading back to the VAB, I went about fixing the booster/core stage (the transfer stage is stable, after testing). However, I tried everything: different combination of engine types, number of boosters, location of boosters... nothing seemed to work. They either tipped over sooner than 7km, or just blew-up altogether.

Since you got a mammoth craft in orbit around Duna, I was wondering if you could give me any tips or tricks to improve my rocket. :) Any response would be helpful. Thanks!

Don't know if this is a touchy subject or not, but On the VA, the lower decoupler, does it actually decouple, or is that functionality to-be-added at a later date? I installed the plugins in the VA pack as well as the VA parts into the parts folder. As far as I can tell, it's not my fault.

Also, on the top boosters, they engage like they should, but when they are spent, the sound and particle system doesn't stop for two of the boosters. When the nose separates, it doesn't start flipping or anything as if there were thrust, it just separates like it should. I pretty much did a LES testing rocket, and found this problem. I don't have the particle effects in the VAB for some of the other engines, so like I said, the plugins are installed correctly.

@Deltac

The lower decoupler, it does work.

the top boosters, Idk whats ur problem, It works fine to me. Are you using any other mods?

Is there a special button I should press? And by work, I mean decouple, not the little animation. Do I have to go into the part.cfg and make it a decoupler?

It's a bit different to other decouplers because it uses the (undocumented) decouple function of the animation part module (the included plugin wasn't meant to be released anyway).

It should decouple when it starts to play the animation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.