Impossible to save and impossible to launch new rockets

Marta

I was doing a mission to mun, docked crew-craft and lander, nothing bugged, I landed safely but finished the fuel on the lander, so i thought of a tipical rescue mission. I had to do some things so I saved and left the game, once I returned I tried to launch the rescue rocket but the game doesn't let me, I press launch and nothing happened. I tried to save so I could find a way to resolve later, but it won't let me. when I press save, the window closes but no savefile is created. I tried multiple loads to see if it was just a save that got corrupted, but all the saves of the campain are like this. In addition after a few reloads, my flag changed to the basic one, and I noticed that my crafts on the mun says "location unaviable", I don't know if it was like this before, or if also the other crafts do this. I'm playing since day one  and I encountered minor bugs, with easy way arounds, but this one is game breaking.

I had to delete the campain and start a new one, doing that, now I can save and launch, but not knowing what caused the bug, I'm afraid of losing all my progress again. In the bugged campain I did a mun mission and a little space station nothing I can't redo (even if it's a bit of a bother to redesign all the spacecraft)... but if this happens more fowards into the game, that would definetly make a lot of people ragequit it.

I believe I found a fix (at least it worked in my case), but it involves manually editing your save file.

First, I found out that some values in my craft state became NaNs: 

"ReferenceArea": {
                      "ContextKey": "ReferenceArea",
                      "storedValue": "NaN"
                    },

Then I removed the entire vessel definition for every vessel that had this NaN-poisoned value. I'm using VS Code, which makes it easier to make sure you have the right vessel, but if you're using a simple text editor, look for the part that starts with this:

{
      "Version": "0.1",
      "Guid": {
        "Guid": <SOME_RANDOM_GUID>,
        "DebugName": null
      },

Also, I've thrown together a JQ script that will try to automatically remove any vessel that contains these NaNs: https://jqplay.org/s/5ZlWloyirhA. Just paste your save.json in the "JSON" field, copy the result and replace your save.json contents with it. Make sure to backup the save first!

Hope this helps someone...  Maybe it's possible for other values to break in a similar fashion, so the script will need to be adjusted.

14 minutes ago, exploser said:

I believe I found a fix (at least it worked in my case), but it involves manually editing your save file.

First, I found out that some values in my craft state became NaNs: 

"ReferenceArea": {
                      "ContextKey": "ReferenceArea",
                      "storedValue": "NaN"
                    },

Then I removed the entire vessel definition for every vessel that had this NaN-poisoned value. I'm using VS Code, which makes it easier to make sure you have the right vessel, but if you're using a simple text editor, look for the part that starts with this:

{
      "Version": "0.1",
      "Guid": {
        "Guid": <SOME_RANDOM_GUID>,
        "DebugName": null
      },

Also, I've thrown together a JQ script that will try to automatically remove any vessel that contains these NaNs: https://jqplay.org/s/5ZlWloyirhA. Just paste your save.json in the "JSON" field, copy the result and replace your save.json contents with it. Make sure to backup the save first!

Hope this helps someone...  Maybe it's possible for other values to break in a similar fashion, so the script will need to be adjusted.

Didn't work for me unfortunately (no NaN's in any of my saves). I did seem to start getting this issue after the already well documented undocking bug, but loading a save from before the undocking attempt doesn't fix it. Does the game just not want you having multiple active missions :huh:?

Edited by Newe6000

Can confirm this as an issue and a game breaking bug. Game cannot be saved and vehicles built in the VAB cannot be launched with the LAUNCH button.

I can, however, save my builds, go to a landing site via the KSC-menu and launch my vehicle this way. But then there is no "REVERT to VAB" or "REVERT to Launch" option.

I believe I have encountered the same bug but as it happened I  also lost all saved crafts here is the feedback I had written on discord :

"

After a failed launch attempt, I tried to resolve the issues and it wouldn't save the ship anymore. I thought okay not a big deal let's try to launch :

I tried to launch the rocket and the Launch button was unresponsive. I thought okay no biggie let's save the game :

esc -> save game -> gave it a name -> saved,

... or so I thought after relaunching the game it was back to a previews auto-save point. 

And even after restarting the game it's impossible to launch or load previews crafts in the VAB.

I lost all of my craft, I haven't been playing for that long (5 hours) but it's quite scary.

"

Can confirm regarding the impossibility to launch after having reverted to the VAB (due to me crashing the previous vehicle, for example).

I get back to the VAB, do my modifications, and when I press launch again, nothing happens. I usually have to restart the game, or go to the main menu, in order to fix it.

[EDIT]

As a small update, I can say that sometimes, if I wait it out a few minutes in the VAB, I suddenly become able to relaunch the vehicle again... very odd.

Edited by RocketBeagle

Same problem here as well. Can't save, can't quickload, can't launch. Tried every save in the campaign, no NaN values in my save as well. So much for the "weekly challenge"... I'd wish the devs would have taken six more months to reduce the game breaking bugs. Devs "Playing it too much that it becomes a productivity issue" is really hard to believe at this point.

Edited by Hurzelgnurk

Was able to load a previous save from before the bug occurred which let me save and launch craft again. However, after 30-60 minutes of playing I was once again unable to save or launch new craft. Very frustrating :(

Edited by Newe6000

Same here, what I did just before the issue occured was exit the game without saving from a mission with a big craft decoupling into few smaller satelites. Cannot launch new vehicles, cannot save the game. Fresh Agency fixed the problem but I lost all my progress obviously.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:35 AM, fortytwo said:

I had this exact same bug. I tried to launch other vessels, other locations, i restarted the game and pc. nothing working. i had to start a new save game

I'm running into this issue as well. Sometimes restarting the game resolves it momentarily, but it crops up a gain after some time. When the issue occurs, I am unable to launch, save my game, or load/save any workspaces. I can handle bugs as long as I can save and reload. Please look into this one, devs! 

Thanks! 

I just experienced this bug.  Workaround was loading an earlier save.  Just adding my details here:

• KSP Version - 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System and version  - Windows 11
  • CPU and GPU models - Intel core i5 12600KF / NVIDIA GeFroce RTX 3080
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Expected Behavior - Able to launch craft from VAB
    • Observed Behavior - Unable to launch craft from VAB
  • Steps to Replicate - unknown
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..) Reload earlier save.
  • A list of ALL mods - None
  • Other Notes:

SM

I also had this bug mess up my first save file. Just commenting to (hopefully) bring more attention to the issue and make it a higher priority. Thanks for making the post, it's very descriptive

The issue is saving gets corrupt way to easily, and with all the other bugs etc in the game regular saves are required to try and circumvent the issues in the game has. so if you can't do that then you basically can't do any mission as you get hit by a random bug and then you can't load or save as the game just decides nope you're screwed. then if you try and load an earlier one it crashes and you have to reload. I can see past the bugs to an extent because the saving has helped but now they are bugging every other save it makes the game completely unplayable now or just a waste of time.

I know it's early access but this is a basic thing that needs to be working especially in EA to help revert when the other bugs happen. weeks is to long really. such a shame as I have managed to have some good fun in this but I can't keep creating a new career for each mission just in the hope I can save

1 hour ago, Alrecenk said:

I had this issue today as well. As a workaround, I found that I could save my ship, go out to the KSC and directly select a launchpad and select the saved ship there and launch.

I did that too but then comes the problem that you can’t revert.

I also can't create a new campaign anymore, nothing happens when I hit the button. So, to recap :

1. I can't launch with the VAB launch button.

2. The only way I can launch doesn't have access to revert.

3. I cannot save on that campaign at all.

4. I cannot create a new campaign to get around any of this.

This kills the game for me. I need these things to work around all the other bugs that are occurring constantly.

Oh, and here's another thread about this to be merged: