The backlit keyboard turns off

zero0000000

i have a logitech G510 keyboard. using the logitech software to control the backlight, and afterburner to give me cpu and gpu readouts on the display. but for some reason, during the initial loading bar at startup, it causes the backlight to dim to 0.  and i cant turn it back up, because the game is overriding my settings.

i have never had this issue with any game, how can i fix this?

i found a workaround in the logitech software, but it would be nice if you guys could fix this too when u get a chance.

for everyone else with the same issue:
open ur logitech software
click the gear icon
under general, untick "allow games to control illumination"

Game is playing great for me, but on initial launch, the game turned off my backlighting. I had to turn off ksp2_x64.exe integration in the logitech g hub app to get backlighting back 

With that turned off everything is working well 

Keyboard is G512

It's a feature not a bug. It lights up your controls, shows the countdown on the keys. As you've found you have to use the logi app to disable it, just like every game with logi rgb support. That being said, it does not light up enough controls. I've never tried to make a game reactive RGB profile before. I'm not even sure that's a user facing ability. The countdown is fun but I might just use my KSP1 RGB profile.

Edited by snkiz

I use the Logitech G213 keyboard. The backlight profile is set up and works always and everywhere. But, when launched KSP2 the keyboard stops glowing. After leaving the game, the backlight sometimes lights up, sometimes not, only the reboot PC helps. What is it? The first time I come across this. How does the game affect keyboard backlight?

Based on a video I saw... the game takes over your keyboard lighting and does things like incrementally turn on/off certain key lighting based on game events (launch countdown for instance).  

I use both Logitech keyboard and mouse and this game disables the lighting on both of them.  My drivers are up to date, just reinstalled today to double-check in fact.  I can't see my keyboard and I can no longer tell what mode my mouse is using because all of the lights on my mouse are gone too.

It's rather infuriating that a game would take over a users keyboard and mouse accessibility lighting, give zero warning that it was doing it,  do it by default, and give no options to disable it in the setup menu.

As I type this, I can't see the keys on my keyboard.  Thankfully, I am a touch typist and can manage, but this is a pretty egregious overreach by the devs in my opinion.

I can forgive a LOT, but this game is breaking things outside of the game.  

Edited by XLjedi

Investigating this today, I was able to find a solution for logitech keyboard/mouse users.

However, it required that I install a piece of software that I did not want.  

You need to install something called "Logitech G Hub" which is different than the "Logitech Gaming Software" that we typically would use to program our keys.  After installing the G Hub, the keyboard and mouse stay lit when the game is on.  I will likely never use this software for anything, but it makes my keys visible for KSP2 now I guess.  Still not terribly pleased about it.

50 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Investigating this today, I was able to find a solution for logitech keyboard/mouse users.

However, it required that I install a piece of software that I did not want.  

You need to install something called "Logitech G Hub" which is different than the "Logitech Gaming Software" that we typically would use to program our keys.  After installing the G Hub, the keyboard and mouse stay lit when the game is on.  I will likely never use this software for anything, but it makes my keys visible for KSP2 now I guess.  Still not terribly pleased about it.

Weird; I had the same issue but I already had G Hub installed. I had to go into the "Games and Apps" settings in G Hub to turn off the integration for KSP2 and then I had all keys lit up normally instead of just the keys that the game decided I need lit up.

42 minutes ago, Gorby1 said:

Weird; I had the same issue but I already had G Hub installed. I had to go into the "Games and Apps" settings in G Hub to turn off the integration for KSP2 and then I had all keys lit up normally instead of just the keys that the game decided I need lit up.

Might've been your previous advice I was going on... 

I didn't have it installed so there was no KSP2 in my choices to remove.  I installed G Hub and my keyboard lights came back.

So apparently, the existence of G Hub maybe comes with some updated driver we are unaware of?  

15 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Might've been your previous advice I was going on... 

I didn't have it installed so there was no KSP2 in my choices to remove.  I installed G Hub and my keyboard lights came back.

So apparently, the existence of G Hub maybe comes with some updated driver we are unaware of?  

Could be; as far as I know, G Hub is the way to go. I bought my Logitech keyboard/mouse/headset in March 2021 and it said to install G Hub - I never installed "Logitech Gaming Software" or any other Logitech software.

It seems like the devs had the idea to make custom keyboard lighting stuff for KSP2, which is a good idea...but it seems unfinished, leaving most keys dark in the flight scene and the entire keyboard dark in some other scenes, which is a usability problem.  It needs to be disabled until it's more complete.