The Destroyer

Good or bad?  

1. 1. Good or bad?

• Good
    • Well, its not bad... but REALLLY frusterating
    • I dont know, I really dont do much stuff
    • BAD
    • Im a master one, who ragequits?

I love v0.17, the new planets and moons are wonderful and the difficulty is just right (albeit I use mods, to avoid constructing huge stock rockets that would grind to a halt on my PC). I'd like to see a slightly better predictive view on the map screen for rendezvous, but I'm sure that functionality will come with time. My only concern is each version gets a bit more marginal on my PC, and if that continues in subsequent versions I may not be able to play them.

0.17 is certainly a step forward.

However it feels a little less polished than 0.16, but only a little.

After playing 0.17 for a while now it seems to be getting a little too serious for my taste. It used to be about the explosions, creating whacky craft and landing them on the Mun, as well as creative challenges with limited material. I'm not struggling with exploring the 0.17 content, but it's a bit too much hard work, or maybe like-work is more apt.

Also, the irony is that 0.17 was meant to be focused on making the game more accessible. Remember the tutorials and center-of features.

Edited by bsalis

0.17 is not the best update in terms of bugs (i find it's nearly unplayable due to the tracking station crash bug), but it is the best update in terms of features (primarily the addition of planets).

Then again, every update has been and presumably will be best in terms of features, due to the fact that KSP being in development means new features will be added with every update. For the same reason it is to be expected that updates up to final release will have some bad bugs.

you noobs should stop using mechjeb

People can use MechJeb if they want, people like playing in different ways. Some people only build the rockets and let MechJeb fly them because it's their playing style and isn't gonvermed by you.

Also, you don't need to use the Autopilots, it provides good data to help with various different things.

Hope this makes things clear.

(PS: I don't use MechJeb).

On Topic: 0.17 is the best update for me because I joined during 0.16.

After playing 0.17 for a while now it seems to be getting a little too serious for my taste. It used to be about the explosions, creating whacky craft and landing them on the Mun, as well as creative challenges with limited material. I'm not struggling with exploring the 0.17 content, but it's a bit too much hard work, or maybe like-work is more apt.

Saying KSP is about the explosions is like saying Roller Coaster Tycoon was about crashing the coaster. The explosions are just there for when you screw up.

KSP has actually gotten easier in 0.17 with the new parts and modifications to existing parts (small SRB in an exception, but it was totally OP in 0.16).

If you think going to other planets is too much work, then don't go to them (at least not legitimately).

KSP is all about understanding how space flight works.

Well, I do like 0.17 ( except the accursed CTD when entering the tracking station *mad* ), but I have to agree that going to planets with the tools we have in game can be quite a bunch of work. A good solution to that would be ,besides adding in game protractors of some kind, to have a, let's say a 4-5 Gm sphere around every planet and a in game tool that warned you that you were close of a planet SoI when you were in a orbit that took you inside of it ( besides Jool, the SoI of the other planets are quite small ) and a actual orbital planner with a open windows to X display option. For better or worse, we already left the " eyeball Mun in the horizon and thrust" phase with this patch :/ and the game tools should reflect that.

Though I should probably ignore possible trolling regarding use of MechJeb, I feel compelled to state my opinion on it; MechJeb is a great tool and no stigma should be associated with its use for the following reasons:

• It provides a certain accessibility for newcomers to the game. It shows these people such things as how to complete an efficient ascent profile and orbital rendezvous; something that can be quite hard to figure out on your own, especially if your knowledge of astronautics is lacking.
  • Many of us have been playing the game for long enough now that simply achieving orbit or transferring to Mun/Minmus does not hold the same challenge/satisfaction as it once did. I do like sometimes to set up a rocket launch, walk away from the computer whilst grabbing some refreshments etc. to then return to a ship sitting in a nice pre-defined orbit. Likewise with Munar transfers.
  • For me, MechJeb can be invaluable in evaluating new rocket designs since it takes away the uncertainty of human-controlled flight. I don't care what other people say on this matter, but it's practically impossible for even the best pilots to launch the same vehicle in exactly the same manner repeatedly. Also, keeping manual control of extremely large designs during launch can be very difficult at the low frame-rates prevalent with these kinds of ships on most computers.
  • Finally different people have their own styles of play; some enjoy the piloting challenge and will shirk the use of autopilots while some prefer the engineering side of things. Having addons such as MechJeb provide players with choice, the option of being to play their KSP how they want to. Choice is a good thing!

Personally I use MechJeb quite often for the reasons outlined above. However, when I feel like going back to basics (and particularly while testing experimental releases) I'll fly without it. Again, having the choice to be a pilot, engineer or mere sightseer is what makes this game and it's myriad addons so great.

ON TOPIC!

0.17 was/is a fantastic update; sure it's got a few bugs and issues here and there but folks must remember that it's an alpha release. The fact that we are even able to play the game now through its early development is quite a privilege and we must not forget this.

With any change there will always be people who are dissatisfied or whom find it hard to adjust to the new environment. I remember when the forum was updated to the new format; I initially disliked it and missed the old forums quite a bit. But to be honest - within a week or so I'd forgotten what the old forums looked like and wouldn't even consider going back.

Edited by Excalibur

Squad must resist these calls to make KSP easier. It's just as easy or difficult as it needs to be right now. The fun is truly in the challenge.

Do the necessary legwork and you can get to any planet with ease.

I agree wholeheartedly dude. In the first experimental release of 0.17 Moho orbited between 1.5 and 1.8 Gm of the Sun. I remember the first time I reached it (all stock parts) I shot past with around 8km/s unwanted velocity, with no delta-v left. I wish it occupied the same orbit - getting there feels way too easy now! At least we still have the horrendously difficult challenge of landing on Eve and returning in a single mission!

Overall good. I am looking forward to a future source method of easier rendevous and interplanetary transfers (and docking/refueling!) though.

My big nit is serious game slow down. I'd get a bit on my laptop before (3517u w/ 8GB of memory), but now I get some BAD lag, especially in planetary landings and EVAs. I had the occasional little lag spike before, but occasionally it is bad enough that I have to quit the game and restart. Usually hitting esc and bringing up the menu to stop the lag and I can just resume right away. Othertimes the lag is back within seconds.

It varies from 2-3 seconds of extreme lag where it is maybe 1-2FPS all the way through 20-30 seconds of 1-3FPS action before it smooths out again. Also it ranges form a short to long lag spike every few minutes of game play to 2-5 lag spikes per minute. It isn't quite at the unplayable level, but it is relatively close.

On my full up i5 3570 desktop running at 4Ghz and with 8GB of memory (and 5570 video card) the lag issues aren't nearly as bad, but it DOES occur a little occasionally, which is not something I noticed under .13 demo or .16 (when I bought in) on my desktop before.

I know, I know it is a unity issue, but I really wish real multithreading was present. The laptop could bring 2+ times more computing power to bear (2+2 hyperthreading) and the desktop 4x (quad core, no hyperthreading).

Edited by azazel1024

you noobs should stop using mechjeb

mechjeb is useful beyond just auto piolting around the galaxy. mechjeb provides alot of numbers that are usful (such as angles, the vessle info is useful for fine tuning) basic calculations can be doen thanks to it. and as ive posted earlier, as someone who loves to keep tuning something till its as good as it gets, the auto pilot is great for that. i can put a rocket into near perfect circuler orbit on my own (within 1 km reliably) but everytime i fly, i cant garrente that ill hit the stages at teh saem time, ill turn the angles at the same time, ill be on the exact same degree everytime. using mechjeb takes out the humen variation in tuning, it allows me to fly the rocket on a set method everytime withiout variation. IRL cars do this with a DYNA machine.

i prefer to fly by hand, i dont even us SAS when i can help it, and since .17 ive been trying to fly solely inside IVA, but mechjeb is still importent for testing and tuning. if i can improve my design so that it (which flys incredibly inefficent) even a hundred units of fuel, that means when i fly outside of kerbins SOI, it will compound, these are the calculations that let you get to whereever you want.

People can use MechJeb if they want, people like playing in different ways. Some people only build the rockets and let MechJeb fly them because it's their playing style and isn't gonvermed by you.

Also, you don't need to use the Autopilots, it provides good data to help with various different things.

Hope this makes things clear.

(PS: I don't use MechJeb).

On Topic: 0.17 is the best update for me because I joined during 0.16.

I use mechjeb, because I have to do so many flights to manage for make a lunar base and I prefer build rocket that fly them.

So, I approve you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.