The Destroyer

Good or bad?  

1. 1. Good or bad?

• Good
    • Well, its not bad... but REALLLY frusterating
    • I dont know, I really dont do much stuff
    • BAD
    • Im a master one, who ragequits?

Hello, I have recently found, that ksp 0.17 has made me more frusterated than 0.16 and bellow.

The reason? For some reason, The first mission went fine, and i got to duna, however, the symple tasks like rendevousing and stuff seem to be harder. Mj is not working good, Have to do manual, and ya know, with the new planets, its easy getting there, yet usually the perfect ship seems to have a flaw. Another thing is, it seems it takes forever now to get from the VAB to the launchpad, idk why.

I dont know why, but for some reason, 0.17 has been harder, more frusterating, and made me ragequit many times.

What about you guys? Do you think the 0.17 update was good, but really frusterating and ragequitty, or are you a master rocket science.

The fact that planetary transfers and landings are a lot harder serves to add a proper challenge after mastering the moon and minmus. I have very little bad things to say about 0.17

The one big downside is its tendency to crash on me all the time. I'm hoping that'll be fixed in 0.17.1

I think we are always going to get some bugs while KSP is still alpha The Destroyer, and 0.17 added a lot of content, so we got new bugs, this "crash when going to the tracking station" bug in particular is a bad one, no matter what we do we can't figure it out.

MechJeb needs updating sure, it'll happen, R4m0n needs time to do it though.

Squad know 0.17 is buggy, that's why we will be getting a 0.17.1 at some point which should address the main issues (hopefully the tracking station bug)

Just keep your chin up mate, it'll get better :)

.17 has made things pretty hard for me for some reason, but with change comes adaptation, im sure ill learnt his all in time for it to change again.

i have noticed that mechjeb has crashed nearly every rocket ive told it to put into orbit. i normally like use mechjeb to get to orbit since it does it the same every time, and i can benchmark the low end of fuel effiency with it, but since .17 it has not put a single thing into orbit, it blows past its APO and eventually crashes.

I can't think of anything bad about this update, and I've never had problems with it. Just get into orbit and look at Kerbin against the background. Compare that view to the view from 0.16. It is shockingly beautiful now.

.17 has made things pretty hard for me for some reason, but with change comes adaptation, im sure ill learnt his all in time for it to change again.

i have noticed that mechjeb has crashed nearly every rocket ive told it to put into orbit. i normally like use mechjeb to get to orbit since it does it the same every time, and i can benchmark the low end of fuel effiency with it, but since .17 it has not put a single thing into orbit, it blows past its APO and eventually crashes.

I know for me MechJeb likes to start its gravity turn and then just never stop, it eventually ends in the rocket end over ending out of control. Plus it seems it has less fine motor control (Like it cant stay on a straight up course even when I can do it with ease manually) same for the ASAS and SAS it seems.

I know for me MechJeb likes to start its gravity turn and then just never stop, it eventually ends in the rocket end over ending out of control. Plus it seems it has less fine motor control (Like it cant stay on a straight up course even when I can do it with ease manually) same for the ASAS and SAS it seems.

It sounds like your rocket maybe top heavy with no ability to counter once it starts to tip over during the gravity turn. If this happens in atmo, try to add just a few winglets or canards towards the top, or more gimbaling engines on the bottom. You can also try to start your gravity turn later (less fuel efficient, but it might solve the problem.)

On Topic: I love this update. KSP is becoming more complicated. As new parts and objectives were being added, I was expecting this to happen. I was quite looking forward to it in fact. There is always a bit of a learning curve every time KSP updates but the game is definitely improving all the time. As everyone experiments our knowledge pool of what works and what doesn't will expand and take some of that edge off.

What an odd question. Yes,.17 is harder and more frustrating than .16, but in the same way as the real world, in which getting to orbit and the moon was done 40 years ago, but we haven't even tried to put somebody on another planet yet. And believe me, I know from frustration; I'm one of the people for whom the game is freezing up to 5 times per day. But there's a reason we all switched to .17, right? Which is all the new stuff to do. If the new stuff was as easy to get to as the old stuff, it would just be more of the same.

Well, mechjeb isn't really part of the game so...?

Anyway, I don't see how this is relevant, seeing as the difficulties arrive from the features only in .17. In my opinion, it was a great update! :D

oh by all means even if it were totally broken i wouldnt take away from KSP, i love the new update and the direction in the game.

If this happens in atmo, try to add just a few winglets or canards towards the top, or more gimbaling engines on the bottom.

Nooooo... Canards up high makes for a tumbling pidgeon design when not using ASAS or MechJeb while in an atmosphere. Put ANY fins at the bottom of the rocket, and it'll stabilize it.

Um... good? This update added new planets, a few more parts, stronger 2 meter parts, a prettier sky box, IVA, A RADARFRIGGINALTIMETER, and many other assorted good things. The only issue I see with the new planets are that they aren't really very accessible yet and I presume that is because we as a community haven't really mastered the planets like we might have with Minmus or Mun.

They're by no means supposed to be. the easier something is to achieve, the less impressive and satisfying it is to complete it.

Well I meant in terms of how we don't really have to tools to make it to the planets consistently, kind of like how it used to be getting to the moon when we didn't have the map. But yes I agree. I like that the planets are hard to get to. I myself have not even attempted to get to them yet. I am still looking for two more Munoliths on Mun

Squad must resist these calls to make KSP easier. It's just as easy or difficult as it needs to be right now. The fun is truly in the challenge.

Do the necessary legwork and you can get to any planet with ease.

Edited by segaprophet

Squad must resist these calls to make KSP easier. It's just as easy or difficult as it needs to be right now. The fun is truly in the challenge.

Do the necessary legwork and you can get to any planet with ease.

and if your truely cought up and unable to get somewhere, the spacecraft exchange normally has some designs you can download. its not as fun as making it there yourself, but after you examine a craft that you knwo can get somewhere, it can help you troubleshoot your own designs.

I think the 0.16 fuel bug has made 0.17 a lot harder than expected. Not griping, just saying that if the 0.16 fuel bug did NOT precede 0.17 then I'm betting 0.17 would have just been an extension of 0.16 instead of a 'start over' that 0.17 has become form many.

Thems the breaks.

About to send my first R/C probe to Duna surface to measure delta v needed for a controlled landing ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.