Vehicle in Mun orbit but no trajectory is displayed in Map view

purpleivan

Note: after a prod from @LameLefty it seems this is another case of a known issue, that the vehicle is deemed to be "Landed" (I confirmed that is the status shown for the vehicle in the Tracking Station). I'll leave the bug thread here, so that it provides more date for this issue, including gamesave files.

Version: 0.1.0.0.20892

System description:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor  (12)

RAM: 16334

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8081MB)

SM: 50 (Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1])

Expected Behaviour:

That all vehicles in flight have the trajectory GUI displayed for them in the Map view.

Observed Behaviour:

In some circumstances a vehicle can end up in a situation in which it is in orbit of a body (in this case the Mun) and have no trajectory displayed in the Map view. (see image below).

kGaVQEr.jpg

Repro steps:

Full repro steps would be difficult, as this occurred after placing a vehicle in Mun orbit, as well as some quicksaving and reloading, but I’m including a description of the events leading up to the issue, as well as game save files.

On my first flight to the moon, I place a vehicle in orbit of it, then made a burn to lower my orbit to a few km from the surface. I then placed a manoeuvrer node near PE, ready to circularise a lower orbit. I then warped until the vehicle was near it’s the nodes , then returned to normal speed and made a quick save.

A short time later, while approaching my manoeuvrer node, the vehicle ran into the terrain (high peaks on the surface), so I reloaded the save game, so that I could burn away from the surface, to avoid the collision.

The collision was avoided, but when I went to the Map view, I found that my vehicle had no trajectory displayed, but from its motion it was clearly in the orbit of the Mun. Further burns to adjust my orbit did not fix this issue, as well as subsequent saving and reloading, did not either.

Files:

The full contents of the game save folder structure can be found here.

The game being played "Test2" and the specific save to look at was "quicksave_35", as this most clearly shows the issue.

Edited by purpleivan

This has been reported by several people scattered around the forums, and I’ve run into it 2-3 times at least. Go to the Tracking Station and check the vessel status. I strongly suspect it will show the vessels as “landed,” which has been the case for me each time I’ve checked. 

I believe whatever causes this bug also causes the game to mark the vessel as “landed,” which is why no trajectory appears for it. 

3 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

This has been reported by several people scattered around the forums, and I’ve run into it 2-3 times at least. Go to the Tracking Station and check the vessel status. I strongly suspect it will show the vessels as “landed,” which has been the case for me each time I’ve checked. 

I believe whatever causes this bug also causes the game to mark the vessel as “landed,” which is why no trajectory appears for it. 

Yep... just checked and it's showing up as landed alright.

Just want to second this and say I experienced almost the exact same bug (landing mark, very similar PC build, no trajectory etc) accept I was in orbit around Kerbin.

Trajectory lines were showing up for debris/spent staging, but not for main craft. 

I also experienced this.  I think it was after I switched to another vehicle in orbit and then back again.  I was taking off from the Mun to intercept a CM.  Right now I'm leaving it in orbit until I can figure out how to intercept without a maneuver node/trajectory line or if someone comes up with a workaround. 

Edit: The tracking station does report it as landed.

Edited by Joker58th

Ya just took off from Duna, same issue.  I noticed the lack of trajectory and then noticed the landed status in the tracking station.  I also had an issue with the engines only lighting when deactivated for take off from duna on the same mission.  

I have notice  the same issue. After takeoff from Mun, my vessel is in orbit around Mun without orbit line.
After reading @LameLefty  post I have confirm vessel status in Tracking Station is “landed,”.
I have a save game available if it can help the DEVs team.
Just in case there is a relation, this It may help to mention that the command pod of this vessel explode if I try to EVA.

Ive just had this happen after landing on Minmus. Reloading the game did not bring the orbital line back, and it seems to have dismantled my ship. Using the engine makes the ship spin wildly.

Screens:

https://imgur.com/a/1jXUEAK

EDIT: I poked around one of the autosave files, and changed my ships status from "Landed" to "Orbiting". My ship is now whole, and i was able to recover my Minmus orbit. YMMV.

Edited by Jackalope

Reproduced.  Issue was solved by reloading and not decoupling the landed stage before liftoff:

• KSP Version - 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System and version  - Windows 11
  • CPU and GPU models - Intel core i5 12600KF / NVIDIA GeFroce RTX 3080
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Expected Behavior - orbit line shows up in map
    • Observed Behavior - orbit line is absent
  • Steps to Replicate - Launch landed craft from surface of Mun
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..) Re-load and try again
  • A list of ALL mods - None
  • Other Notes: See image in spoiler. 
Spoiler

hOLd9dv.jpg

SM

• KSP Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
  • Operating System and version: Windows 10 Pro 21H2
  • CPU: Xeon E5-1620 0 @ 3.60 GHz  GPU: AMD RX 6700 XT
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Expected Behavior
      • Target body unset as target when entering SOI
      • Orbital track exists after landing
    • Observed Behavior
      • Mun remained set as target after entering SOI
      • No patched conics were drawn after landing on Mun surface
      • Nonsenseical Target orbit relative angle indicators were drawn after exiting SOI
  • Steps to Replicate
    • Set the Mun as target, create a maneuver for intercept, land on Mun, EVA on Mun, re-enter Mun orbit, exit Mun SOI
  • Fixes / Workarounds (if known..)
    • None
  • A list of ALL mods.  If the list is long, please consider using a spoiler window.
    • None
  • Other Notes / Screenshots:
    • Was unable to replicate on Minmus

Imgur album

Edited by serow