Mun Formations

LowQuai

When orbiting Mun at a very low altitude (~3500 metres above sea level), I noticed a small shape and decided to investigate. Quickly, I stopped my orbit and landed to take a peek. This is what I found. It's awesome!

TjyKC.png

0wyvc.png

MLRJc.png

TmKTw.png

It stands about 100 metres tall. If you are interested in looking at it yourself, you can find it here:

lzjgI.png

So, well, what is this?

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on finding your first Mun Arch! :)

Rumours say they are at least two of them, but I've yet to find the second one. I just installed a nice little Research Station next to the one you found, though:

3Ty43.png

qjjEj.jpg

However, I believe that since .16, it's no longer safe to fly through them. If you want to try it anyway, at least quicksave first. :)

Actually since .16 it IS safe to fly through them.

From the 0.17.0 x2 changelog:

* Fixed an issue where flying through a Mun arch would destroy the vessel.

And I did test this, it was one of the scariest thing I've tried to do in KSP.

EDIT: By "safe" i mean safe if you dont collide with the rock or surface. :P

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on finding your first Mun Arch! :)

Rumours say they are at least two of them, but I've yet to find the second one. I just installed a nice little Research Station next to the one you found, though:

3Ty43.png

qjjEj.jpg

What's that little vehicle you've got?

Bigtrak rover. Get it HERE

Actually, it's the Bigtrak's little brother, the Liltrak (2 seats instead of 3), but you can get it from the same link! :wink: It doubles as command pod, so I brought it to the Mün atop the Hab module, and decoupled after landing. The Liltrak is surprisingly resistant to shocks, and can be rolled back in upright position when it tips over (which tends to happen often when you drive >30m/s on the Munar surface).

Welcome to the forums, the mun arch is usually the first Easter egg that one finds. but there are many more to be found (or looked up on the forums)!

Good luck with future missions! And remember that there can never be too many SRBs (I will not take responsibility for an eventual event that your computer explodes)!

Actually, it's the Bigtrak's little brother, the Liltrak (2 seats instead of 3), but you can get it from the same link! :wink: It doubles as command pod, so I brought it to the Mün atop the Hab module, and decoupled after landing. The Liltrak is surprisingly resistant to shocks, and can be rolled back in upright position when it tips over (which tends to happen often when you drive >30m/s on the Munar surface).

I prefer the DEMV simply for the looks but I agree the bigtrak and liltrak are WAY WAY WAY easier to transport due to their lighter weight and function as a command pod I just don't like the look of the windows. If it had better windows I'd make the switch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.