Everything hinges on the first update. Fingers crossed! [discussion]

TheArturro

33 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

You'd like to think so, but this isn't the Star Wars franchise, where it's gotten past the point where even a bad release to the flagship product can't seriously torpedo the value of the franchise.

It’s an interesting insight.  I suppose that if somebody thinks that $50 is a lot of money (not that I recall you personally having done so), that EA means feature complete, bug free and capable of running at high fps on an under spec machine, they might think that I was comparing KSP to Star Wars.

Obviously, I wasn’t.  Making realistic comparisons matters as much as having realistic expectations…

1 hour ago, RocketRockington said:

You'd like to think so, but this isn't the Star Wars franchise, where it's gotten past the point where even a bad release to the flagship product can't seriously torpedo the value of the franchise.

Actually, several mediocre to bad releases have hurt the Star Wars franchise, such that the one great show recently ("Andor") was hurt by proxy.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

It’s an interesting insight.  I suppose that if somebody thinks that $50 is a lot of money (not that I recall you personally having done so), that EA means feature complete, bug free and capable of running at high fps on an under spec machine, they might think that I was comparing KSP to Star Wars.

Obviously, I wasn’t.  Making realistic comparisons matters as much as having realistic expectations…

It doesnt have anything to do with weather or weather not you think that 50 USD is a lot of money - its about the product you get for that value compared to other products.

EA means that you buy the game as is in the time of purchase for 50 USD so thats what you should rate and thats what the price should reflect. People obviously review and should review what they actually bought and not what they hope something might or might not become in the future. Pricing the game in its current state at 50 USD was just asking for an awful launch and bad press and reviews.

Edited by Moons

47 minutes ago, Moons said:

It doesnt have anything to do with weather or weather not you think that 50 USD is a lot of money - its about the product you get for that value compared to other products.

EA means that you buy the game as is in the time of purchase for 50 USD so thats what you should rate and thats what the price should reflect. People obviously review and should review what they actually bought and not what they hope something might or might not become in the future. Pricing the game in its current state at 50 USD was just asking for an awful launch and bad press and reviews.

When you are arguing that $50 is a lot of money among people for whom it’s obviously very much not, you are self-sabotaging your argument and depending on how superficial and materialistic your audience is, ruining your chances of convincing them via other arguments.  Especially if it should be obvious to you that $50 is not too much money for the game for them and it’s apparent to them that you aren’t aware that you’re repeatedly scoring own goals.

I get that $50 seems like a lot to you, to the point where you seem pretty upset about it.  And that’s fine.  I’m not going to speculate on why, or cast shade on you for it, but being aware of your audience is something that you should be aware of if you are concerned about effective argumentation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.