Airplane challenge: threading the needle, twice

milosh

Surviving this without crashing is a challenge in itself, sweaty hands and lots of LoLs and "Oh sh..." moments are almost guaranteed. But to make it an actual challenge, lets see who can do it the fastest.

Rules

1. Build a plane

2. Start on runway 1 at the far end from the sea

3. Fly through the satellite dish, under the feed antenna, the plane's body must be at some point completely within the four struts.

4. Fly under the walkway/bridge between the two dome buildings near the VAB

5. Land on runway 1 and come to a complete hald without crashing

Time starts on engine start and ends when the plane comes to a complete halt. It does NOT matter from which direction you thread the needle but is has to be satellite dish first, bridge second. Share a video of your flight, bonus points for hilarious crashes :D

This probably won't win the challenge but it shows what is expected:

Standings

1. Draradech: 1min 22s

2. milosh: 3min 5s

Edited by milosh

13 hours ago, Draradech said:

This seems fun.

Now it's 3.5h later, 20 GB of recordings on my drive :/. 70 tries until I got this one. 1:22 ingame time (from 05:52:15 to 05:53:37).

holy sh.. that looping to bridge transition was insane :D I also like the plane design, great job!

Here's my take. I landed on runway 2. It seems the wild stallion I used for the challenge couldn't be contained to one runway. 

This is a "OneOscar XLE+" that I'm flying,

Spoiler

Don't forget to check out the "OneOscar" Fan Club!

Spoiler

"OneOscar" Fan Club Tidbit:

This is a "OneOscar XLE+" that I'm flying, a technical exception to the OneOscar family of planes. RD wanted to test out the tiny Biplane capabilities without the need to refuel every 5 minutes. The inline battery is unique as well, having served two purposes: First, R & D is now confident that the smaller battery functions just as well for 2 inline stabilizers as well as with one, and the second inline stabilizer is more unnecessary than the 10N of force produced by the "Whittle" engine. Second: The larger battery can power an Awesome sound system, as Corey the tech had theorized, but Ken and Charlie reminded him that there wasn't room for the speakers... and that the speakers would be difficult to hear over the rush of air pinning the pilot to the Grumble seat...

Edited by Socraticat
"OneOscar" Fan Club compliance: Collapsing Ineligible Submission

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BeakyBuzz said:

So, after many struggles, I finally made it.

It's not the fastest, and also on the end I forgot to cut the engine, so after releaseing the brakes, the plane moved a bit (Just Kerbal things...)

For the first stop, my time was 1:43. Enjoy!

That was so fast! Great turnaround after the Satellite. There's also something super satisfying about avoiding the trees. Well done!

Another unsuccessful challenge submission in my super cool "OneOscar FG5W" dubbed "Lofty Banana" (I took off from Runway 2)

Spoiler

Time: 3:23

Don't forget to Check out the "OneOscar" Fan Club!

Spoiler

Edited by Socraticat
Proofreading is important, folks: Ineligible Submission Collapsed

This time it's legit. I checked.

Flight Status at the end says over 3:20. I checked in the editor to see 3:06 from engine start to full stop. Post whichever.

Starts on  Runway One, Ends on Runway One. Satellite Antenna first, Bridge second. BAM!

All in a "OneOscar" FG, my trusty original, "R2-Redo".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.