Missing features

Vl3d

Mostly I'm wanting some mods that compensate for current bugs (like dumb deployed vessel names, unable to rename vessels in game, or deployed vessels not starting with comms, etc.) One of the things I was missing was a way to do precision edits of maneuver nodes. There's a mod for that already - so that's handy. I also love the mod that let's my click on AE & PE to have those persistently display as I work on my maneuvers. 

One thing that would be great is a way to clean out all the bloat from game saves more easily. If you do much traveling around, very quickly your saves will go from a few MB to many hundreds of MBs or even GBs. 90% or more will be the huge block of TravelLogData. I'm not sure what good that stuff does, but stripping it out seems to work fine - I've not had a crash yet from doing so and it doens't seem to have any negative impact - just much faster F5/F9 when needed.

I would not mind having a mod that showed me my surface lat/lon (as we used to get from KerbNet and ScanSat)!

I'd dearly love to have a mod that could make clones of existing parts with edited properties. Why do all engine mounts weigh 700 kg? That's kinda heavy, especially for a size SM! There are a number of silly part properties in the game like that - so it would be nice to be able to give thigns a bit more balance. I'm certain the devs will sort that out in due time, so not a long term need at all.

Edited by schlosrat

5 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

One thing that would be great is a way to clean out all the bloat from game saves more easily. If you do much traveling around, very quickly your saves will go from a few MB to many hundreds or even GBs. 90% or more will be the huge block of TravelLogData. 

That may be an artifact of their future multiplayer implementation plans.  If they intend to allow players to be on different points in time, players will have to have information about all events that are going to happen.  They may be leaving the 'past' information around because they  haven't written code to wipe it. 

Do mods count because:

modded missing things:
mod suport as a whole
KOS (a similer thing may be in development)

non-modded things:
science

career/science mode

bulding hitboxes being better

just freedom in general like there are kinda small amount of parts right now

I miss some kind of progression mode. The ones in KSP are really primitive and sometimes grindy but I'm just not able to enjoy myself properly if I have all the toys from the start and completely have to make up my own goals so in KSP I only play career mode anyway. By the time I've got the tech tree unlocked I finish my final missions and then end the campaign. So sandbox can't keep me engaged for very long. I'm really looking forward to the Science update that should address this!

I also miss ISRU. I really liked scouting for good ore concentrations and then building refueling bases based on ISRU, sometimes by hauling ore to orbit and processing it there, sometimes processing it on the surface. When the resource system comes online it should be much richer and more interesting than that so I'm also very much looking forward to it, even though it's probably many months in the future.

At this point? Basics and tools, too early for new parts and features.

• Precise maneuver
  • Kerbal engineer redux
  • Alarm clock (including transfer windows)

Thankfully a lot of people seem to agree, there are decent mods for the first two items already. And tbh alarm clock would be a bit limited since the game is not stable enough to really support planning lots of missions at the same time.

6 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

That may be an artifact of their future multiplayer implementation plans.  If they intend to allow players to be on different points in time, players will have to have information about all events that are going to happen.  They may be leaving the 'past' information around because they  haven't written code to wipe it. 

They're not intending that, all players will be in the same point in time hence timewarp controls are shared. This is why time doesn't pause when you open settings, or when you're in VAB, because time needs to keep flowing at the same speed for everyone. Saves are ballooning to GBs because of a save corruption bug that is apparently fixed in the next patch, according to Nate's point the other day.

9 minutes ago, Mutex said:

They're not intending that, all players will be in the same point in time hence timewarp controls are shared.

I don't think that's going work! With up to 16 players in 4 different space centers, shared timewarp would just be unplayable. Maybe it's a mode for small co-op missions?

I don't think either that they're recording stuff for multiplayer though, that would get incredibly complicated and bug-ridden.

51 minutes ago, Periple said:

I don't think that's going work! With up to 16 players in 4 different space centers, shared timewarp would just be unplayable. Maybe it's a mode for small co-op missions?

I don't think either that they're recording stuff for multiplayer though, that would get incredibly complicated and bug-ridden.

Yeah it's always seemed like a problem to me too, but there's literally no other way to do it. Having different people at different points in time is literally impossible unless they're planning on programming actually general relativity into the game, which seems unlikely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.