Struts are (Mostly) broken

twich22

Struts are incredibly finicky and often broken. I am not sure if these are all separate bugs or all variations of the same bug so I will post them all here together. 

They often do not work with symmetry mode. For example, build a simply craft with symmetry mode on. attach 4 x parts to the side of the craft in symmetry mode. Now take the whole assembly and flip it upside down. Now add a new part to the new top of the assembly (previous bottom). Now, in 4x symmetry mode, try to place struts from the new part you just placed to the 4 radially attached parts. You will find that the struts are not attaching symmetrically but rather are mismatching to different parts. You might also find that you have more than 4 new struts. 

They will often break and lose their attachments, leaving behind only the attachment nodes without the connection between them. This can be true when: Using the "undo" function in the VAB, deleting struts that you had previously placed, copying assemblys, and merging assemblys. 

Merging craft with struts on them might change the 'destination' nodes for all the struts on the merged craft. For example, if you have a assembly with 4 x radially attached fuel tanks and struts attached in 4x symmetry mode to these fuel tanks, and then you merge this assembly into another craft and place it, and then merge the same assembly AGAIN and place it elsewhere on the craft, you will find either immediately or as soon as you launch that all struts are now attaching to the first merged version of the assembly regardless of distance between the two attachment nodes. 

Struts might disappear/break/move when you move an entire assembly.

These are the most egregious examples. Im sure there are others I have forgotten. 

Edited by twich22

On 3/21/2023 at 7:14 AM, twich22 said:

Merging craft with struts on them might change the 'destination' nodes for all the struts on the merged craft. For example, if you have a assembly with 4 x radially attached fuel tanks and struts attached in 4x symmetry mode to these fuel tanks, and then you merge this assembly into another craft and place it, and then merge the same assembly AGAIN and place it elsewhere on the craft, you will find either immediately or as soon as you launch that all struts are now attaching to the first merged version of the assembly regardless of distance between the two attachment nodes.

This one has been the bane of my existence.  I keep trying to assemble parts in orbit and the disconnected struts try to "reconnect" to other struts on the main vessel. It's really bizarre and aggravating, since it causes my ship to explode if I try to detach now.

6 minutes ago, SimonTheSkink said:

This one has been the bane of my existence.  I keep trying to assemble parts in orbit and the disconnected struts try to "reconnect" to other struts on the main vessel. It's really bizarre and aggravating, since it causes my ship to explode if I try to detach now.

Good point. Docking and undocking ships with struts also broken.

Here you can see first hand with what I am dealing with. I've been trying to attach these large spherical tanks in orbit and the vessel I am doing this with has merged it's struts with the main vessel I am working on. If I try to disconnect from the ship in any way, the whole ship destroys itself. Until this is patched, I'm essentially unable to continue my playthrough with this ship.

Untitled.png

Edited by SimonTheSkink
Adding additional context

22 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Here you can see first hand with what I am dealing with. I've been trying to attach these large spherical tanks in orbit and the vessel I am doing this with has merged it's struts with the main vessel I am working on. If I try to disconnect from the ship in any way, the whole ship destroys itself. Until this is patched, I'm essentially unable to continue my playthrough with this ship.

Yea. Major bummer. Such a lovely station too. Have you tried turning on unbreakable joints and unbreakable parts, and going into time warp, and then undocking during time warp?

Edited by twich22

22 minutes ago, twich22 said:

Yea. Major bummer. Such a lovely station too. Have you tried turning on unbreakable joints and unbreakable parts, and going into time warp, and then undocking during time warp?

It’s worth a shot. I’ll give it a try.

3 hours ago, twich22 said:

I got it to work. Even though it said the ship was destroyed it really didn’t? Jumped back to KSC and back to the ship and it was fine but kinda stuck. Used time warp and it slowly separated until I was finally free. I wanted to add 9 total tanks to this ship but I will settle for 3. Welp, off to Eeloo.