MapView Focus and Targeting

Scarecrow71

Scarecrow71, lead developer and only employee (unpaid, no less) of No-Show Entertainment, hereby releases his first-ever mod for Kerbal Space Program 2!  Are you excited?  Are you not entertained?  And don't you want to know how it all works?!?!

MapView Focus and Targeting is a simple little mod that allows players to focus on and target celestial bodies in the Kerbol system using keyboard shortcuts.  No longer will you have to zoom out, right-click in the vicinity of where you want, zoom in, right-click again, and then select either Focus or Target, and then zoom out and find your active vessel...too messy!  With this mod you can do the following all from the comfort of your keyboard:

1. Cycle through the planets and moons with Page Up/Page Down.
  2. Target/Clear Target planet or moon with Keypad+/Keypad-.
  3. Return the focus to your active vessel with Home.

So much easier, says I!  And I hope you do too!

And now, the legal stuff.  Or, rather, linkages!

SpaceDock Link:  MapView Focus and Targeting on SpaceDock
Github Code Repository:  Scarecrow-71/MapViewFocusTargeting (github.com)

The README file, in both the zip file and on the repository, has all the instructions you need for install and use.  Just let me know what you think, and if you experience any problems!

EDIT:
This mod has been validated as working in 0.2!

Edited by Scarecrow71

2 hours ago, Casellina X said:

I noticed an issue where the .dll is not included in the "mapviewfocustargeting" folder, had to build the project and place it manually. That aside, good work! You have an outstanding pull request for a refactor.

That is odd with the dll file.  It should be there by default.  Unless you pulled this from github, in which case no, the dll isn't there at all as it is on spacedock.

I will have to take a look at the pull request.

EDIT:  That refactoring is actually something I am going to be pushing with my next update already.  :)

Edited by Scarecrow71

@Casellina X

I did the pull request...and now I have to rebuild my local repository.  I HATE github for source control; I have changes showing in VS that won't go away regardless of push, pull, fetch, sync.  I use DevOps at work, and DevOps WORKS.  I will figure out Git at some point, but there has to be an easier way for this to take place.  I shouldn't have to add and delete files to Git manually, which is what I had to do in order to get your code into my local repository so I could rebuild the solution and push up to SpaceDock.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:22 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

@Casellina X

I did the pull request...and now I have to rebuild my local repository.  I HATE github for source control; I have changes showing in VS that won't go away regardless of push, pull, fetch, sync.  I use DevOps at work, and DevOps WORKS.  I will figure out Git at some point, but there has to be an easier way for this to take place.  I shouldn't have to add and delete files to Git manually, which is what I had to do in order to get your code into my local repository so I could rebuild the solution and push up to SpaceDock.

You'll want to do "git reset --hard <BRANCH>", or however you'd do that with the VS plugin.

The current game UI makes this mod kinda invaluable, but got one issue, that not even is a real issue. The focus always starts with kerbol, if there would be an option to start with the one currently orbited it would be awesome.

6 hours ago, Alewx said:

option to start with the one currently orbited it would be awesome

This! For example press "end" to focus on the body you're orbiting, then use pg up/down to cycle through whats nearby (moons first).

Another one: I use a tenkeyless keyboard, so there is no numpad and I can't use the target clear etc feature. Maybe offer an alternative key combo for that? Like shift+home, shift+end?

Edited by AndyMt

11 hours ago, Alewx said:

if there would be an option to start with the one currently orbited it would be awesome

That is an excellent suggestion.  I will look into this!

4 hours ago, AndyMt said:

Another one: I use a tenkeyless keyboard, so there is no numpad and I can't use the target clear etc feature. Maybe offer an alternative key combo for that? Like shift+home, shift+end?

You should still have plus and minus keys though?

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You should still have plus and minus keys though?

:lol: sure, I didn't even try those, I took the instructions too literal, then. And on my Swiss German keyboard they are on opposite edges. Shift 1 for + and the dedicated - key is bottom right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.