Is the cargo bay weak?

Question.  I have had 2 MK3 rovers break and really do not know why.  They are fuel trucks and they have been quite reliable for a long time, then recently 2 of them broke, first on Ike and then on Laythe.  This is concerning as I do not know why they started breaking.  Any ideas?

3piVQTg.jpg

ln3xrkN.jpg

Based on the images of the deconstruction it looks like you attached the whole isru kit to the bay end node and attached the cockpit to the  isru setup, then offset.  This means you have spindly, offset joints, which can be prone to breaking.  Attach the Cockpit to the cargo bay directly, then attach the isru to one of the nodes on the inside of the bay.

Also, for what it's worth, your current radiator setup is extreme overkill.  Since the drills are attached to the fuel tank, and the isru to the cargo bay, a single large fixed radiator panel on the bay and 2 on the fuel tank is plenty.

Edited by Lt_Duckweed

Well actually I built the rover and then installed the stuff in the cargo bay.  At first the problem was the ISRU and ore tanks breaking free while driving around, but that got fixed eventually by attaching structural boxes to the end nodes and then attaching to them, plus struts.  That was done to the first ones that landed on Mun and all was well for quite a long time.   This is an early one with all the struts broken and the only thing holding it in place are the RTGs on the other end.

ue6rXRd.jpg

I don't know if the cooling is extreme overkill as I have seen those things glowing red.  Closer to the sun things can get a little toasty.

7 hours ago, miklkit said:

I don't know if the cooling is extreme overkill as I have seen those things glowing red.  Closer to the sun things can get a little toasty.

I've seen the radiators pop red when I was not doing any isru and was farther than eeloo.

heat management has some bugs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.