Struts ARE Connected for the First Launch of a Craft But NOT Connected for Subsequent Launches of the Same Craft.

Anth

KSP2 Version: 0.1.1.0.21572
Operating System: Windows 10
CPU+GPU+RAM: i9 9900K+3070ti+32GB
Mods Used: None

How to Replicate:

1. Put the attached zipped campaign into C:\Users\>EnterUsernameHere<\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer\
  2. Load the KSCClearSave save file.
  3. Follow the steps I took in the following video (21 seconds): https://youtu.be/5xPzwIhlZmI

Link to Campaign Folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsijo42xalbceq2/GirderNodeStrutTest.zip?dl=0

More Information:
Happens in different locations. If I launch a rocket and have it orbit the Mun and then launch another rocket the new rocket will be missing the physical strut connection on the Launch pad.

Speculation:
In game scenes are using the same identifier for physical struts as they were in the VAB causing a conflict that has all crafts after the first one not be connected.

Edited by Anth12

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: micro engineer, custom flags, cheat menu (essential to stop the craft falling apart on launch) | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10870H | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

When vessel is launched, all struts on it fail to load the connections. This is not just visual, it removes the physics connections between the parts and may cause the vessel to dissassemble on launch if the struts were necessary. Struts (usually) appear as normal in the VAB.

If breakable joints/crash damage and gravity are enabled, vessel shakes itself apart. I was only able to find out what the problem was using cheat menu to disable joint breakage, crash damage and gravity.

This also applies to all struts added or re-placed in this workspace from that point onwards, so the vessel is (at the moment) unsalvagable. It does not apply to other workspaces or active flights. Restarting the game cannot save it.

Included Attachments:

NoStruts.png.c2d823235f969820b914d4c5d03e04fd.png

BSPSpaceplane.zip

Edited by Anth12

@mattihase Does that craft exist already somewhere else?
In 0.1.2.0 If a craft with struts was launched twice the surviving struts of the original existing craft would cause the same struts of the second launched craft's physical struts to not be connected.

11 hours ago, Anth12 said:

@mattihase Does that craft exist already somewhere else?

There is an earlier version of it in orbit. In the save, but presumably out of physics range. Could that be causing it?

The vessel was already named something different to it, and I tried renaming the workspace, no luck, but when I copied the assembly with alt-click, deleted the original and attached the copy to the pod, that seemed to fix everything, so... good thing I didn't have any struts directly attached to the pod I guess?

1 hour ago, mattihase said:

There is an earlier version of it in orbit. In the save, but presumably out of physics range. Could that be causing it?

Yes that would be enough no matter where the original craft is. Could be at Eeloo and the problem would still happen.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2023 at 6:50 AM, mattihase said:

This also applies to all struts added or re-placed in this workspace from that point onwards, so the vessel is (at the moment) unsalvagable. It does not apply to other workspaces or active flights. Restarting the game cannot save it.

This explains several mystery craft failures I couldn't understand. Trying to simply build a big booster and having the struts become useless was very confusing... 

• 1 month later...

It's still there in 0.1.4 - and I found another plot-twist to that.

I have a pair of shuttles sharing most of the airframe - but with serious change of the tail section of the orbiter.

If I try launching two of the same one at once, all the struts are broken, but if I launch one shuttle and then the other model, the second one is missing like half the struts on the orbiter (in many places one of symmetrically placed struts is there and the other is broken). And this isn't limited to getting them to the launch pads at once - I had that issue even when loading second shuttle while the first one was already in orbit.

If anybody wants to test this behavior, here are the craft files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1um_jcsRYRCw-NQiElMuRt-rHllj899iv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NIPwbFr0iwR-sek9I9Ciu04PyRYMcXY0/view?usp=sharing

11 hours ago, Alchemist said:

It's still there in 0.1.4 - and I found another plot-twist to that.

I have a pair of shuttles sharing most of the airframe - but with serious change of the tail section of the orbiter.

If I try launching two of the same one at once, all the struts are broken, but if I launch one shuttle and then the other model, the second one is missing like half the struts on the orbiter (in many places one of symmetrically placed struts is there and the other is broken). And this isn't limited to getting them to the launch pads at once - I had that issue even when loading second shuttle while the first one was already in orbit.

If anybody wants to test this behavior, here are the craft files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1um_jcsRYRCw-NQiElMuRt-rHllj899iv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NIPwbFr0iwR-sek9I9Ciu04PyRYMcXY0/view?usp=sharing

And if you launch the other model twice?

The game actually remembers struts, not crafts. So your new model might have new struts that the first model one didn't have?

That's the thing. Launching 2 instances of the same model at once results in complete loss of struts on the second craft launched.

But launching one of them and then the other model, results in this on whichever is launched second:

yXLSTZe.png
This is on the part of the orbiter that was taken from one model and directly used as the basis for the other (the launch assembly was attached independently and doesn't suffer from this cross-model effect).
Even more, when this appeared, I tried reconnecting the affected struts in the VAB (as in, taking one end off and putting it back), but this effect still persisted as long as the other orbiter is in the world somewhere.

@Alchemist Thanks for going into more detail.
If you can supply me with the 2 craft files for testing I would appreciate that.

You can do this by:

1. Create a new bug report
  2. Put my name into the Title
  3. Link to this bug report in the Description
  4. Select two of the following using Ctrl/Shift and upload the two craft files, or zip them together:

bSNfPPO.png
The last part I am describing in more detail because other people are having issues with selecting multiple type.

Actually the craft files were already linked in a previous message:

21 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Oh. nm then ;) Thank you.

Edited by Anth12

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...