Large Stabilizers Fall Off of XL Methalox Tanks for No Reason

Davidian1024

No mods. Unbreakable joints off.

I regularly have large stabilizers just fall off while sitting on the launchpad for seemingly no reason.  It often doesn't happen right away.  I will be iterating on a large craft that has large stabilizers that have been working fine and never changed since initially attached.  Then randomly after some other seemingly unrelated change, one or more will just start falling off as soon as I get to the launchpad or runway.

I often have to rebuild that part of the craft exactly as it was, or rebuild it from scratch.

Edited by Anth12

You should try restarting the game when this starts to happens instead of adding more struts.  Although in this case I do not think struts will attach to stabilizers anyway.  I call this "Punishment Protocol" but some call it the Kraken.

7 hours ago, Jason_25 said:

You should try restarting the game when this starts to happens instead of adding more struts.  Although in this case I do not think struts will attach to stabilizers anyway.  I call this "Punishment Protocol" but some call it the Kraken.

Yeah, I want to say restarting the game has helped.  But, for obvious reasons I hate having to do that, so I haven't done it much.

12 hours ago, Siska said:

yes, it is still happening even after patch 2.

Whenever i try to play the game, i always encounter bugs like this that just kill my motivation to play the game.

I'm having a great time with KSP2 despite the bugs.  I'm actually really liking the direction development seems to be heading in.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:35 PM, Jason_25 said:

No, that doesen't work.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:58 PM, Davidian1024 said:

Yeah, I want to say restarting the game has helped.  But, for obvious reasons I hate having to do that, so I haven't done it much.

I'm having a great time with KSP2 despite the bugs.  I'm actually really liking the direction development seems to be heading in.

Well, i want to have fun. It is fun to some point. Problem is that when you are excited to play, and you load your savegame a lot of things can happen. Sometimes you cannot leave active ship to go to menu or KSC, sometimes ship falls apart, or you just can't get camera working. 

For me, when i encounter bug that i have to restart my computer for, i just shut down the game. I just don't have the patience to go through this bugs to be able to play the game.

I'm waiting for a few more patches....

I had these bugs, when wings and stabilizers detach from craft for no reason. Try to remove active surfaces from stabilazers and look what happends. I have a theory that this bug is connected with active surfaces, but I don't have proofs

9 hours ago, Siska said:

No, that doesen't work.

Well, i want to have fun. It is fun to some point. Problem is that when you are excited to play, and you load your savegame a lot of things can happen. Sometimes you cannot leave active ship to go to menu or KSC, sometimes ship falls apart, or you just can't get camera working. 

For me, when i encounter bug that i have to restart my computer for, i just shut down the game. I just don't have the patience to go through this bugs to be able to play the game.

I'm waiting for a few more patches....

No need to restart the computer.  Just restart the game.  Trust me, it makes a difference in structural stability.  If a vehicle is on the edge of falling apart already then a game restart can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issues with landing legs at times (and especially the largest size ones for some reason).  Also seems to randomly occur at other times than just on launch pad as well - just recently had a craft in orbit of Kerbin (Lander that had successfully launched, with its transfer stage still attached, but waiting to dock to carrier ship) lose two of its landing legs AND one small stabilizer just by swapping between the carrier craft and the lander (no collision, still well over 1km apart, getting ready to close for rendezvous and docking).  Reload of save did prevent the random detaching that time, but there have been other instances where I've had to relaunch the craft entirely.