Why do Clamp-O-Tron Senior Docking Ports stink so badly?

I've been taking a new foray into trying to build some space stations, and the performance of Clamp-O-Tron Senior Docking ports is ruining the fun.  Are these things known to not behave properly?  I keep sitting here bouncing off the docking port and it will not connect.  I've cranked up the Docking acquire force on both ports to 200%.  There is actually ZERO snap or force behind them trying to pull to each other.  I cannot be the slightest millimeter off or these things will not dock, and at this point, I'm not sure that I can even get them to dock if I am dead-on to a billionth of a degree off.

Am I doing something wrong?  I've docked Jrs and mid-sized Clamp-O-Trons hundreds of times in the game with no issues.  I've reloaded half a dozen times, adjusted the angle, tried to use one ship to "knock" the smaller portion into alignment.  I will say that the smaller ship is just a piece of station, with no mono-thrusters on it, which makes it a bit more difficult, however, I am still not seeing any docking acquire force even if it is cranked to 200% on both ends.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Also, when the ports begin to attract each other I recommend turning off SAS and RCS.  If your ships are not aligned perfectly then SAS can overpower the docking force, and the vessels could take a very long time to align themselves- if they ever do.

In your screenshot, SAS and RCS are both active while the vessel is trying to dock.  I recommend turning those off.

As others have mentioned, it’s hard to tell from your screenshot if the ports are installed correctly or upside down.

First, thanks for moving this and sorry for posting in the wrong place.  Been a long time since I've posted and didn't even realize I put it in KSP2 forum and not the original.

After taking a look at this thread....yeah, I don't know HOW it got that way, but one of my ports was indeed upside down.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, djr5899 said:

First, thanks for moving this and sorry for posting in the wrong place.  Been a long time since I've posted and didn't even realize I put it in KSP2 forum and not the original.

After taking a look at this thread....yeah, I don't know HOW it got that way, but one of my ports was indeed upside down.  Thanks!

It’s not a problem moving it, no worries!    And yeah, there’s been many many threads about the seniors being ‘broken’, when in fact they’re just upside down.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.