Game crashes when loading a save at "Setting universe state" or "Creating Vessel"

doug jeffington

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx | GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics | RAM20GB

upon getting to the setting universe state part of loading a save or the creating vessel part the game unexpectedly closes and crashes to desktop. this is accompanied with a save being labelled as vessel unavailable. it even happens when I'm creating a new campaign. i have attempted fixes such as updating my graphics drivers and running as administrator but it still fails to work. because of this i have not been able to play the game at all since i bought it.

Edited by Anth12

4 hours ago, doug jeffington said:

upon getting to the setting universe state part of loading a save or the creating vessel part the game unexpectedly closes and crashes to desktop. this is accompanied with a save being labelled as vessel unavailable. it even happens when I'm creating a new campaign. i have attempted fixes such as updating my graphics drivers and running as administrator but it still fails to work. because of this i have not been able to play the game at all since i bought it.

Your computer is below specs for KSP2 currently and I can't promise that this will help but others in the same situation have lowered their resolution and had some success with getting KSP2 to run that way.
I really hope that is enough to get it up and running on some degree. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx | GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics | RAM20GB

When I load a save or even attempt to start a new campaign, whenever I get to "Setting universe state" or "Creating vessel" part of loading the game just closes and the unity crash manager doesn't even recognise it as a crash. I cannot diagnose why this is happening as it has no crash log to follow. I have tried to find solutions but all the videos which are "solutions" to this issue are kind of just copy and pasted versions of each other. This one issue has singlehandedly stopped me from playing the game reliably since its release. It would be much appreciated if I could gain an actual solution to this problem so i can actually play the game without worrying about it crashing if Itry to load a save or even revert flight if i manage to get into to a save the first time

Edited by Anth12

Additionally I was just talking with someone else who was having similar issues.

They are having problems when loading a save where the craft is in Kerbin orbit or is even in the Kerbin SOI.

If they end up with a craft in Kerbin orbit, they wont save the game there.
They will do the following instead:

1. They will change to a craft around Mun or Minmus and save the game
  2. Then to get back to the craft in Kerbin orbit they will load into the craft around Mun/Minmus first.
  3. Then switch to the craft around Kerbin orbit via map view or the tracking station.

I turned down the resolution fully it worked for like one session before it started crashing again. Every solution that does work only works for around three saves and reloads before it just goes back to square one just crashing over and over again. Setting the resolution to the bottom now doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm not too sure if a long term solution exists for this issue, if there is one it would be much appreciated. 

Really it would just be nice if the game could be optimized more for lower end devices like mine but that isn't coming anytime soon I think.

19 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Additionally I was just talking with someone else who was having similar issues.

They are having problems when loading a save where the craft is in Kerbin orbit or is even in the Kerbin SOI.

2. Then to get back to the craft in Kerbin orbit they will load into the craft around Mun/Minmus first.
  3. Then switch to the craft around Kerbin orbit via map view or the tracking station.

@doug jeffington This is something else to try. I am sorry that it doesn't work well for your computer :(

Thanks for this. that solution would be hard to accomplish to say the least since I actually have to make it back into the game which is seeming close to impossible at the moment. I deleted my last campaign and that didn't have any crafts in Mun or Minmus orbit anyways but still I may make attempts to get back into the game.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:42 AM, Anth12 said:

Now that I look at the situation, I may not be capable of doing this fix as i simply cannot re-enter the game to do this. Is it possible that you know any other fixes for this? If not ill either keep searching and trying things out or I'll just get my money back and wait for more optimisations. I don't have much flexibility when it comes to my rig since it's a laptop so installing a new graphics card is basically out of the question, If there are ways to optimise my rig to support the game and stopping it from crashing that would be much appreciated, as well as another possible solution to this issue.

Thank you for both of those suggestions so far, lowering the resolution allowed me to play at least one 2 hour session while it worked.

42 minutes ago, doug jeffington said:

Now that I look at the situation, I may not be capable of doing this fix as i simply cannot re-enter the game to do this. Is it possible that you know any other fixes for this? If not ill either keep searching and trying things out or I'll just get my money back and wait for more optimisations. I don't have much flexibility when it comes to my rig since it's a laptop so installing a new graphics card is basically out of the question, If there are ways to optimise my rig to support the game and stopping it from crashing that would be much appreciated, as well as another possible solution to this issue.

Thank you for both of those suggestions so far, lowering the resolution allowed me to play at least one 2 hour session while it worked.

Other than maybe lowering the graphics settings, I cant think of, or have heard of any other options. I am sorry :(