How To Design A Durable Superman/Supergirl Suit That Won't Burn Up In The Atmosphere....

Spacescifi

This is purely for fun.

In comic books and in movies Superman and Supergirl fly at high speeds through the atmosphere and their costumea neither melt or burn.

I don't care about the fictional reason why their costumes are super durable. I want to know what is the best we could do with modern technology to give Superman or Supergirl a durable supersuit that won't easily burn up or melt while flying through Earth's atmosphere.

Limits: Obviously Superman would have to limit his speed or risk suit ablation, unless he flies out into orbit and outer space. What I am implying is that when he wants to get anywhere fast around the globe he would go into orbit and then slow for reentry.

Main Question: What would the heat resistant suit be made of and what is the fastest Superman could fly in thw air without his suit melting or burning up?

3 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

What would the heat resistant suit be made of

Magic.  Or in reality, an airplane.

3 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

what is the fastest Superman could fly

Whatever the plot calls for.  Or in reality, however fast the airplane flies.

You're willing to accept that some guy can fly into orbit, but question what clothes he wears?

1.kzlgGba5P9B6vpHWShfAQPy6OdreFjl-0ro91N

Even if burns, nobody cares, just buy another one.

Proper boots and aerodynamic cap are required, too.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVjbk0y3HDaw6DmsZ8TtU

And the landing pose.

The "S" caption is fine, but a brand like "Abibas" is better, to show that this is a real superman, not somethging.

Also the short red cloak is limitedly appropriate, as other supermen around may think that it's too gay.

Edited by kerbiloid

Polybenzimidazole would be my guess.  Doesn't melt, can withstand temperatures in excess of 500o C, and best of all, was apparently discovered by one  Carl Shipp Marvel, who sounds like just the guy to design Superman's suit.

Incidentally, finding that took a 2s search for 'highest melting point fabric'.

As for how fast Superman could fly in atmosphere before a polybenzimidazole suit degrades, that would depend on air density and therefore altitude. I have no idea how to calculate it but for a probably not very helpful comparison, Concorde's top rated speed was a touch over Mach 2, to keep the aircraft skin temperature under 127o C (for safety reasons this was the highest temperature that could be sustained over the lifetime of the aircraft). Concorde's maximum cruising altitude was 18 km or 60,000 feet.

Edited by KSK

14 hours ago, KSK said:

Polybenzimidazole would be my guess.  Doesn't melt, can withstand temperatures in excess of 500o C, and best of all, was apparently discovered by one  Carl Shipp Marvel, who sounds like just the guy to design Superman's suit.

Incidentally, finding that took a 2s search for 'highest melting point fabric'.

As for how fast Superman could fly in atmosphere before a polybenzimidazole suit degrades, that would depend on air density and therefore altitude. I have no idea how to calculate it but for a probably not very helpful comparison, Concorde's top rated speed was a touch over Mach 2, to keep the aircraft skin temperature under 127o C (for safety reasons this was the highest temperature that could be sustained over the lifetime of the aircraft). Concorde's maximum cruising altitude was 18 km or 60,000 feet.

I dunno why but I was thinking of a tungsten armor suit.

Probably a bad idea since they would be too hot to touch and save anyone.

I guess that's another superpower they would need to have... the ability to cool stuff by touch. Otherwise when Superman reentered from orbit and flew in to grab and save you you would probably get second degree burns from his suit.

One power I know their bodies have is heat resistance. In one comic Supergirl was chasing a spaceship for hours in space (she can hold her breath for four hours) and the spaceship tried to lose her by flying over the surface of a star. Supergirl followed but realized her teleportation device that was her only ticket home melting. Her solution? Shield the device by covering it with her invulnerable fist, since it was small enough to fit even though it's lanyard melted away.

Edited by Spacescifi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.