A Kardeshev III civilization would head for the Virgo Supercluster

farmerben

The Virgo Supercluster has millions of times more stars than our Milky Way.  And the stars are relatively close together.  So a civilization spanning many stars systems with laser highways in between would love to inhabit the Virgo Supercluster.  If there is a way to cross millions of light years of intergalactic space we should go there.  If life can arise on many worlds it will have biodiversity greater than any other place in our supercluster.  In the meantime we should observe it with special focus for tech signatures.

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/virgocls.gif

1 hour ago, Meecrob said:

I'm just a lay-person when it comes to astrophysics/biology, but it seems to me that life as we know it requires a "boring" part of the galaxy with relatively little astrodynamics going on.

Perhaps any life that is capable of crossing the intergalactic void at will is not quite 'as we know it'.

27 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Sure, but my point is that life does not seem to be abundant at places where nuclear reactions are happening...in fact it kinda sterilizes life.

Or so we think. Which is a bit of a reach, because our current knowledge is based on single sample.

Meanwhile Sllorps from the world of Duzamur discuss how rare life must be on energy poor, cold worlds of galactic rim...

2 hours ago, Scotius said:

Or so we think. Which is a bit of a reach, because our current knowledge is based on single sample.

Meanwhile Sllorps from the world of Duzamur discuss how rare life must be on energy poor, cold worlds of galactic rim...

I get it. But should our extrapolations not be based in what we know to be true?

I get that alien life might not be as we know it, but for any of this to be useful whatsoever, we need to stop assuming anything is possible, because we know its not. There very well could be a life that feeds off of gamma rays, however, if you look at what gamma rays do, there is no mathematical model to sustain life by destroying bonds. Like do you guys get that radiation breaks bonds? and bonds are required for complex cellular organisms?

Nobody here has hypothesized how this life would be, because you do not know...I get that. What I don't get is how you shoot me down because I cannot prove a negative. Give me some proof there could be life and I will listen.

Edited by Meecrob

Darwinian evolution took billions of years to make hard steps like multicellularity, sexual reproduction, and intelligence.  It's possible that life is common, but usually goes extinct before reaching complexity.  

It would be a great tragedy if life begins thousands of times to be wiped out be normal stellar events.  Yet this could very well be true.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that. The author hypothesized that there was a lifeform that fed off of the sun...but it was, as I recall, not intelligent or anything, more of a solar algae? I might be remembering it wrong.

I didn't mean to take this thread so seriously. I'm sorry.

Edited by Meecrob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.