Extended Landing Legs are Causing a Massive Kick in the Retrograde Direction when in Low Orbit After Disengaging Time Warp

pants_marshall

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Coming down to land on the Mun, and using time warp to speed up is fine.

But as soon as i set the time to "normal", either using the hotkey or clicking on the bar to slow time back down, the landing legs fall off my craft.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Linux Mint 21.2 | CPU: Core i9-13900K | GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | RAM32 GB

When going from 2x to 1x time warp, orbital elements can be shifted, typically reducing speed. Re-entering time warp does not cause a shift, but repeatedly going into and out of time warp can cause a large change in velocity. In the attached video, I show this bug allowing me to land on Moho using significantly less delta-V than should be required.

Included Attachments:

2023-10-2518-59-23.mkv

Edited by Anth
Changed the title from: Orbital decay still occurs when leaving time warp

OS: Archlinux | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 | RAM15910 Mb

As the title indicates, when you cross the 20k height, the ship gets utterly destroyed, as if it had impacted the floor. A plum of dust whilst in space also tells me that the landing legs think they are touching something.

In the attached video you can see the issue. I had forgotten to switch to "surface height" before recording, and I rushed it a bit with the timewarp. Nevertheless you can clearly see that the issue occurs when crossing the 20km line.

Included Attachments:

bugWallaby.mkv

I can with 100% confidence state that this issue happens with wheels as well.  Let me know if you want video evidence, however I've had my wheels explode off my rover in the same conditions described about (exiting timewarp, only when below 20km on the Mun for example).  If I take the time and not use timewarp at all, the fact that the wheel motors and steering is still enabled does not hurt my retrograde aimed braking and landing burns whatsoever.  Disabling motors and steering on all wheels did not help the exittimewarp/20km issue either.

Just did some more experiments in minmus (also with rover wheels):

• It seems to only happen between around 25km and 7km (sea level). When engaging and then disengaging timewarp under 7km, the issue doesn't happen. However, if you are heading to a periapsis below 7km under timewarp, the kick will also happen when you cross the 7km mark (probably the timewarp changes from in-rails to physics?)
  • It is directly related to your velocity: if going under 10m/s, it's just a nudge. I tested with different speeds and calculated that you lose around 20% of your speed pretty much consistently
Edited by markinturamb

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | GPU: RTX 3080 Ti | RAMDDR4 16GB 3200Mhz

Severity: Medium

Frequency: Medium

Description: 

I've experienced this bug multiple times, where using 50x+ timewarp in LO above The Mun results in sudden craft destruction upon exiting it. I'm not sure what causes it, although every craft has been a lander of some variety. It's only been around The Mun, I cannot confirm whether it may occur elsewhere.

Steps To Replicate:

1. Load RUD.json
  2. set Timewarp to 50x for a few seconds, then stop it.
  3. The craft will disappear and the mission failed screen will pop up, saying the vessel was destroyed.

Note:
Alternatively, send any lander up to low Mun orbit, timewarp to 50x, and then exit. Repeat until craft explodes. I'm not certain, but this may be a start.

Media:

Spoiler

Additional Information:
After some further testing it was determined this is a combination of 2 bugs;

Edited by The Space Peacock