Game Thinks Entire Craft Is Destroyed Even Though Command Pod Is Still Intact [Camera not focused on the craft anymore]

Abelinoss

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5 4690K | GPU: NVIDEA GTX 1070 | RAM16gb

I crashed part of my lander against a building, so some parts exploded, but the capsule was still intact so I should have been able to fly on and save the craft.

Instead, the game forces me to the 'Mission failed' screen with the flight report because it thinks that "Vessel destroyed" even though this is clearly not completely the case.

This is super annoying because it renders me powerless to save the rest of the craft.

image.png

Included Attachments:

RovyStray.json

Spicat Edit:

You can reproduce it with another error than "structural failure":

1. Build any craft
  2. Attach a docking port (that we'll call A)
  3. Attach a docking port (that we'll call B) on A
  4. Copy A (so B is copied with it)
  5. Attach the copied part

Video evidence:

Additional Information:

This reproduction is linked to another bug report who has the same reproduction steps:

Edited by Spicat

11 answers to this question

There is now a seperate report for this issue happening randomly rather than after a collision:

@Scarecrow71 i've merged your report into that one instead, since it appears to more closely describe your issue

@Abelinoss Also accidentally removed the title of this report, so had to change it:( if you remember what the original title was and would like it changed back, feel free to let me know!

I've been running into this for quite some time.  Double click on the craft or part that survived and continue.  You might have to reactivate things like engines, turn the throttle back up etc.  But, in general, I find that you can more or less ignore the window that pops up telling you your mission has failed.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Fast CPU | GPU: RTX 3700 Mobile | RAM16 gb

After entering Kerbin's atmosphere the fuel tank explodes due to the reentry heat. I forgot to install a separator which is why the engine and fuel tank couldn't be separated. After the explosion the main vessel itself is fully intact but cannot be controlled. Instead the control is on the engine which seems to be the main craft now. After manually destroying the engine part (Right Click -> Destroy) I get the "Missing Failure" Screen. Afterwards I can take control of the main vessel again but all science seems to be gone. The vessel is controllable thereafter. 

I uploaded my safe game right before reentry.

Included Attachments:

quicksave_21.json

I believe the problem here is that focus jumps to a part of your craft not having control when it should jump to the next craft in queue (as seen when you cycle with brackets) that still does have control until all available craft have been cycled through and none are found to have control. So in the short term, just use the brackets to cycle through parts until you find your controllable craft again.

... or maybe not the next craft in the cycle order but the controllable part nearest the root of the craft that just broke up.

Same issue, I can load up the save and try to re-enter the atmosphere and try to save my vessel after the tarreor engine exploded by switching back over to my Unmanned pod but all my Science is null.

Still happening in 2.0. Even when you manually select a part to control the craft from, as soon as any major parts separate, there is a risk that the controlled craft is not the one having the part you selected to control from.

Expected behavior: Upon separation of parts, even if both have controllable modules, the part having what I specifically set to control from should be the craft in control. What's more, the brackets should allow me to switch craft in the event that a debris is the controlled vessel. At present, you have to pause and enter the tracking station to do this.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

Merge to: 

So I may have found something crucial.

When the destroyed part is the ROOT/anchor part, you get the *mission failed* screen, even if your command pod is still intact.
See the attached videos

Included Attachments:

commandpodroot.mp4

beamroot(1).mp4