Cannot create maneuver nodes with 0 deltaV [Map/OutOfFuelManeuverNode]

QuiescentRabbitt

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | GPU: RTX 3080 Ti | RAMDDR4 16GB 3200Mhz

Current game behavior disables your ability to make maneuver nodes if it believes your ship to have no deltaV. This also can occur when you have plenty of fuel in the form of monopropellent, which the game doesn't actually calculate the deltaV for. It can also cause you issues if the deltaV calculation has an error and believes your ship has none, even though you can still burn fuel. This seems intentional on the surface, but is prone to causing lots of frustration. Even if it works exactly as intended, I could want to set up a node before refueling my ship to get an idea on the potential fuel cost.

How to replicate: Launch any ship in a configuration where the game detects you have no deltaV, and attempt to create a maneuver node. It will pop up an error.

Included Attachments:

WhatsRCSanyway.PNG.874d71de9fcc38788f064839891b9efc.PNG

Edited by Spicat

31 answers to this question

On 11/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I have to agree that the decision by IG to remove the ability to create trajectories/maneuvers in excess of the current amount of fuel is a hindrance to gameplay.  A lot of us like to do a whole lot of testing of our craft before the actual mission we undertake, and we can't plan for appropriate maneuvers or burns when we reach the end of our fuel and the game simply stops letting us continue.  I agree we shouldn't be able to burn if we don't have enough fuel (or the engines simply cut off at that point).  But we should be able to at least create the node and see how much fuel we need.

I'll also put out there that there are times where the actual dV is 0 and even enabling the option for infinite fuel doesn't work.

Agree, in KSP 1 I had an targeting satellite used for setting up trajectories for ships leaving Minmus and going to other planets. This let then fuel up on Minmus base and leave Minmus orbit and drop down to LKO for the main burn, this gave almost a 1 km/s free but often required leaving Mimus orbit and doing an orbit around Kerbin with Pe at the burn point and Ap at required height to hit target at time. 
Now this is not an option in KSP 2 as no resources but this will change.  

Hi, Id like to report this as a UI issue.

* If your engines are temporarily disabled (i do this sometimes to avoid firing my engines by a misclick), you cannot create a manuver, because the system believes your d-v to be zero, when your engines are off

* had an older issue, havent seen recently -- but I was having a problem with very small probes.    With a fuel tank with like 0.1t of fuel left, it was not letting me create a manuver.    Not sure if it was rounding off, to zero, and then calculating zero d-v, and then not letting me create it.      OR, quite possibly, this is the above issue, of engines disabled -- I might have disabled my engines on that probe, intentionally to save the last little bits of fuel for the manuver I needed (to prevent a misclick from wasting it -- "shift-tab to read steam chat has turned on my throttle many times back when I was playing KSP1"),

Also, this is frustating when testing something with "Infinite propellant" set ON.    you have inifinite DV, in that case, but you cannot create he manuver.   (EDIT: in the case where you actually have no fuel, but infinite prop is on, I mean)

Honestly, while it may have been intended as a way to protect new users, its feels like its causing more frustration than it saves....?

Anyways, I hope we can find a good answer for everyone!   THANKS!!

Edited by CFTeague2
clarification

Yup, this is a frustrating one.  After staging the game is saying my ship has 0dV, when in fact I have two full tanks.  I can USE the engine, there is fuel... yet saying 0dV.  This wouldn't be the end of the world, ok I can't tell how much dV I have, however, on top of it all, I can't make a maneuver node due to having 0dV!  So now I'm stuck with a stage full of fuel, that I can't plan for.  That is an issue.