Camera mode in orbit

Hi guys

Long short story: In KSP 1, as soon as you are archiving an orbit around a celestial body, the cameraview is changing from "airplane mode" to "orbital mode", the neutral camera position is in an ecliptical position, I'm seeing my craft from the side and can change the view up or down. In KSP2, the camera possition stays in the "airplane mode", and this is driving my nuts. @Dakota: Can you please give short statemant if this is intended or will be changed in a future update?

Thanks in advance
Snips

• 1 month later...

In 0.2 the camera is still absolutely awful and is missing the "orbital" camera view of all things, which is pure 100% pain.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Camera_view

"The orbital camera view takes "up" to be towards the north pole of the body being orbited, which tends to place the body to the side of the craft on the same horizontal plane when the craft is near the equator. This mode is often the most comfortable when flying a spacecraft in orbit as it matches the camera behavior of the map view. "

• 5 weeks later...

I came here to say this. KSP1's Orbital view was absolutely essential for lining up for docking and doing lots of complex manoeuvres, and it's extremely tedious to not have that option in KSP2. I really hope this is added soon.

When KSP2 first launched into early access we DID have a proper orbital camera view that acted just like KSP1’s! You can see this around 31:50 in Scott Manley’s launch stream; I’ll link it below. After the 2nd or 3rd EA update is when I remember this disappearing. I’ve made a bug report about it before and so have one or two others since it disappeared. I believe Celestial mode in KSP2 is supposed to be what Orbital mode is in KSP1

I’ve figured out two “workarounds” that allow me to fake a proper orbital view: 1) using Capture mode and then manually adjusting the camera with the numberpad controls. 2) using Body mode and having my craft lock to the “Normal” orientation on the navball.

It’s frustrating to not have a proper orbital view, so I really hope this gets fixed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.