How to diagnose converters not functioning in the background?

OldMold

I have a little refueling refinery setup on Minmus - some drills, ore tanks, fuel tanks, and a convert-o-tron. Unfortunately, the conver-o-tron does not process when the vessel is running in the background unfocused.

I have enough power, and the drills work as expected, filling up the ore tanks while the vessel is unfocused. Trying to turn ore into LFO via convert-o-tron does not work as expected, however.

I also have ~130 mods, but hoping there is a better way to debug this than removing the mods one by one. Anyone know if there is anything in the logs I can search for? 

Any pointers appreciated!

Here are some things to consider:

Start your investigation with mods that are supposed to affect resources, background processing, electricity, etc.

I think some KSP mod settings can trigger problems when ISRU runs out of electricity during local night. ISRU shuts down and doesn't know how to turn back on at sunrise.

Share your logs so interested parties can do a deeper dive is they are so inclined.

Copy your entire KSP folder to a new folder so you can experiment without breaking your current save. If you are using solar power, test what happens after adding a bunch of RTGs or other non-solar power to your refinery. That would let you know whether it's a solar panel issue or something else.

That prior folder copy suggestion also lets you try brute force by uninstalling half your mods. Test. If the problem continues re-copy to bring those mods back and uninstall the opposite half of your mods. Once you find which half triggers the issue, then cut that half in half, repeat, and after many copies you'll get to a specific mod that triggers the issue (if you're familiar with computer science terms, it's like a "binary search").

Mystery solved - SystemHeat's Extras patches to make ISRUs use the SystemHeat system. Removing these did the trick.

Odd that I have the extras patches for drills to use SystemHeat and they work in the background fine, but resource converters don't. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.